1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In retrospect: Should we have taken Parsons' option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardLin, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Should we have taken Parsons' option?

Poll closed Jul 17, 2014.
  1. Yes

116 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. No

100 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. HardLin

HardLin Member

When we declined Parsons' option this year, everybody on this forum was talking about how this was some sort of super shrewd move on Morey's part. I'm not so sure. We could have had him for 2013-14 for $1mil. Instead we either pay him $15mil/year for 3 years, or we lose him to the Mav's for nothing. Should we have declined his option? I mean, if we had taken his option this year, we could have always maxed him out next year. If Morey's thinking was that Parsons being a RFA would make him a little cheaper, the Mavs offer pretty much blows that thinking out of the water.

Or was declining Parsons' option a way of saying thank you for 3 years of hard work? I can be down with that, not everything has to be about money.

2. HardLin

HardLin Member

Sorry, text should say: We could have had him for 2014-15 for $1mil

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Not at all. Unless Morey had some sort of handshake agreement with Parsons(which would never have lasted with guys like Cuban out there), why do it? And don't give me any nonsense about Parsons being upset about the 4th year option being exercised and leaving next summer out of spite. If the Rockets had improved their roster, gone deeper into the postseason next year, and were willing to pay Parsons just as much as anyone else when he became an unrestricted free agent in 2015, he could've easily been resigned at that point.

I get the gamble Morey was making. But it was a dangerous one. He assumed he could attract a Melo or Bosh to be the Rockets' 3rd superstar while matching whatever offer Parsons got. The problem is he apparently overlooked the fact that Melo and Bosh don't want to play in Texas(and haven't exactly kept that a secret) and that Parsons could get some crazy max offer from another team that would be difficult to match.

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Bad move by Morey. But it IS salvageable.

If we get Bosh its a total success.

If we get no one apart from keeping Parsons then it is an utter failure.

And before someone screams money issues: I wanna say: we made 40.7 million last season. Nobody is asking you to pay these players out of your own pockets.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

hell no. I can't even believe some are trying to argue that it was.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i thought it was a bad choice when it happened, and it looks even worse now

7. count_dough-ku

BTW, you may want to change the thread title. It asks if it was a good idea to decline Parsons' option. But the poll itself asks if we should have picked up Parsons' option. I would answer no on the first and yes on the second.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

good point, I almost made that mistake as well.

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

it was a great choice to do it, if we waited another season, we wouldn't be able to match the deal because he would have been unrestricted

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

players sign offer sheets all the time and are matched, fans get way too down in the dumps if another team signs a player to an offer sheet

11. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

Keep him, lose him, doesn't matter. Overrated

12. HardLin

HardLin Member

Yes, I realized that right after I posted this. I don't appear to be able to edit, and people have already voted anyway, so every please note that whatever you answer to the thread title will be the opposite of how you answer the poll questions. Sorry about that.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If they are gonna match it, why does it matter? Morey figured out a way to get 4 max contract players on the roster. Sounds like he won to me

1 person likes this.
  14. count_dough-ku

But now we're stuck either paying him max money a year earlier or letting him sign with a division rival with nothing to show for it. Oh, and thanks to the crazy deal he got from Dallas, it may have just screwed up our shot at signing Bosh since we can no longer pay him the max without giving away D-Mo AND T-Jones.

Imagine instead if we'd kept him for another year at just under a mil, filled out the roster with a couple of solid role players or a star like Bosh, and gone deeper into the postseason next year. You really think he wouldn't consider resigning with the Rockets in 2015 assuming the team was willing to give him the same amount of money as anyone else in the league?

15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Max money ? how is 15 million Max money ? isn't Max 20+

the only thing that will screw up the Bosh deal is LeBron going back to Miami

Have faith, fans go way to crazy on here and have no patience

16. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

doesnt matter what we think. Matters what Howard and Harden think

17. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

It's not just that bro. We just got played by MARK FREAKING CUBAN. If we do match we will have one of the worst contracts in the NBA. If we don't match we lost Parsons. :mad:

18. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

If this happens (a very long shot now imo) then Morey needs to be the next President of the United States as he'd be a genious to have pulled this off. As it currently looks, the max deal we had on the table for Bosh is going to come up about 5 mil short now thanks to Parsons cap hold based on the Mavs contract offer which spells doom to me in the Bosh deal.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Max money is the maximum money any one player can make per year on a contract. Your Max is determined by your previous contract.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Nope it wasn't. Use him for one more year, sign max X player or good role players.

But in reality it's going to go like this, wait on bosh meanwhile everybody is signed. Bosh goes back to heat. 1st round exit again. Hire new coach and give another false hope of winning. Dwight and James catch on and no other superstar will touch Houston again.

1 person likes this.