1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In-N-Out reportedly opening in HOU in 2017

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by awc713, Jan 31, 2017.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I haven't found In-N-Out to be anything special.

Moreover, I've been really off-put by the whole buildout design. It feels like a old, poorly thought out, big fast food box... which to me speaks of lower quality.

I'm not going to say PTerry's (Austin) is the best burger or anything, but its giving you a very 21st century vibe and design that helps you get past the fact that you're eating fast food.

2. droxford

droxford Member

When I was a teen (MANY years ago), Whataburger was excellent. But when I go to Whataburger now, the patties are thinner, the burgers are squashed, and I don't even recognize the Whatachicken any more. It's just gone downhill. (note: I'm a native Houstonian).

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I unfortunately do not get the luxury of easy access to Whataburger. When Im in Texas, i always make it a point to eat there a couple times while in town. I have noticed it can be hit and miss. Sometimes its really terrific and other times its just average.

bigdaddy likes this.
  4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Just grill your own burger at home. Easiest thing in the world to make.

Nick_713 likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

"Nolan Ryan beef"?

6. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

I will chow down on some In N' Out animal when I'm in L.A. but they have one near me and I can't be bothered to go there. Others in this thread have mentioned that it's for transplants and I think that's where mine gets the bulk of its business. Damn fake Texans clogging our traffic...grumble grumble.

Anyway, wake me up when another fast food joint makes anything like them lovely taquitos smothered in salsa at drunk o'clock in the morning. I very rarely eat fast food anymore but I can't resist those.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Does Houston have more burger joints than Dallas?

In N Out is good, just like most other burger spots.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

People are hyping it on Facebook. I think yuppies in the loop would go there because they think it's trendy. I tried the one outside of Bedford when I was visiting family... they didn't blanch the fries and they tasted like straight starch.

The sauce was good, but the patty was itty bitty.

When I was in cali I actually preferred fatburger over them.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dont know if youre being derogatory? But if so, yes, they'll serve Nolan Ryan's beef up on silver platter for you.

If you were questioning the integrity of the patties of being "full" Nolan Ryan beef, then probably not, but theyre still a hell of a lot better and tastier than the other fast food burger joints.

10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

"Little and dry" are the last descriptions for Five Guys.

If it's too expensive for you, that's a different story.

LMAO... "Five Guys makes worse burgers than McDonalds". LMAO.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was doing neither. Now, had you said something like "Nolan Ryan's sausage" then yes I might have made a comment a about that.

I just didn't know "Nolan Ryan beef" was a thing. What distinguishes it from other beef used by other burger joints? I would have assumed it's just a marketing thing but your post made it sound like it was something more than that.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not at all. Go to Kroger next time and look for Nolan Ryan labeled beef and buy the same cut of the standard fair beef, cook it the same way and compare them. I find it a lot better in taste.

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Ryan has plenty beef at the grocery store.

It's supposed to be healthier than regular, but I think it's more about marketing his name.

#33 Houstunna, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The strange thing about In-N-Out is that it isn't really fair to compare it to gourmet hamburger spots. It is good for the price, but isn't a gourmet burger. I like it just fine, and will always choose it over McDonalds. The fries are a problem. They are fresh from the potato and not frozen, but they aren't twice fried like they should be. So even well done it is missing something. The burgers are really tasty, especially for the price.

It's fine and worth trying, but don't go thinking it is the best burger in the world or anything, because you'll be disappointed.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like them better than Whataburger. Like someone else mentioned, the quality of Whataburger has gone down or is inconsistent.
    Fries are not crisp all the time.
    But Whataburger rules for 24 hour availability.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

They've opened some in Austin and they've been here for a while now, even one sorta in my area, Southwest Austin (it's on S. Lamar), but I've never been there. Like was mentioned earlier, I'm put off by the whole "burger box" design of the building. There are plenty of excellent, and inexpensive, burger joints in Austin. It's been so long since I've lived in Houston that I couldn't speak to what's available there. My favorite burger place, The Ranger Drive-in, near what used to be Gulfgate, has been history for years.

tinman likes this.
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I hope they put one in Sunnyside and the other in Acres Homes. Y'all can go for your In n OUT family get togethers there.

Stay out of midtown please.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Might have been the location I went too. They were pure garbage. The price is the same as hubcap and the quality was lower than mcdonalds. truth hurts, five guys. Those burgers are low grade.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

peasant food

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Its ok...a niche burger joint. But really with all the fast food burger joints, dont really see then succeeding here in the long term. When I was at California...I tried the double double...and felt it was ok.

Personally like Whataburger for fast food burgers spots, but to each their own.