1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In 10 years we will be walking everywhere in Houston!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

The traffic in this city has grown at an exponential rate that in 10 years, we will be leaving our cars on the road....and just walking to our destination. I truly don't see what else we can do..

For the period from 2010 to 2040, it is estimated that the Houston population will grow some 72%.

Tfor3 and B-Bob like this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Making highways bigger only increases traffic

Tfor3 likes this.
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Tell that to TxDot. MOAAAR LANES...

Tfor3 and Andre0087 like this.
  4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

We will all be on scooters with huge ass gas tanks.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rocket River

clos4life and Deckard like this.
  6. droxford

droxford Member

The explosion of apartment complexes in Houston is largely to blame, as far as I'm concerned.

Several complexes were built near my neighborhood and now the local streets (like 11th and 18th) are overloaded with people because we have too many apartment complexes.

During rush hour, it takes far too long to drive a very short distance on local streets.

It sucks.

ramotadab, Tfor3, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Yeah...fat ass Houstonians are going to walk anywhere in August.

Reeko, clos4life, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The pandemic showed us how to solve traffic problems...telecommute. We don't need wider roads; we need fewer cars on the roads. Before the pandemic I never telecommuted but it worked out so well that my direct reports and I are now permanent telecommuters. Why do businesses want to spend money on buildings/leases if their employees can do the same job from home? I'm surprised at how many people have gone back to the office.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

I know a good chunk of the med center hospital IT depts have gone remote, including me.
    Haven't sat in a cubicle since March 2020 and don't plan on doing so again.

But for every car we saved by telecommuting, we probably have 2 more cars from people who moved here...
    I am just not imagining things because I deal with traffic on 288 on sundays!

ramotadab likes this.
  10. droxford

droxford Member

I work from home. I still need to go to grocery store, pharmacy, restaurants, walmart, etc. And, yes, I can shop online, but life can't be entirely spent in my house....

...but driving down an overcrowded street full of apartment-dwellers really really sucks.

ElPigto likes this.
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

Hmmm. I live inside the loop next to the Galleria where there are at least 10 highrises and a few apartments. All within a half mile. The Galleria side is where all the traffic sucks. It clears up on my side.

Jontro likes this.
  12. droxford

droxford Member

Certainly the building of more houses (and the two-on-one-lot build-ups) have contributed... but, sheesh, there are just a TON of apartment buildings now, flooding the streets with congestion.

Near the heights (my house is inside the loop, just West of the heights), the neighborhood roads clog up like crazy. MUCH more than they used to. It can take 20 - 30 minutes to drive a mile.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Are... are you blaming poor people for not being able to own SFH? Apartment complexes and just an increase in housing is a necessity unless you want Houston to turn into Seattle/San Francisco or even what Austin is going through right now where the housing market is going insane and rentals are going up by 25% on renewals or more.

clos4life, Sajan and Jontro like this.
  14. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not sure how long you're lived over there, but the Heights is far more popular than it was 20 years ago. Over here, Galleria traffic has sucked as long as I can remember, and again, tons of new properties have blown up where I live with no noticeable traffic increase.

Nook likes this.
  15. droxford

droxford Member

I think we shouldn't permit more and more apartment complexes if it causes too many problems with other parts of our infrastructure (road congestion, emergency coverage, flooding, electrical, etc.)

...and I think that the building of more and more apartment complexes have had a lot of negative impact on those parts of infrastructure in my neighborhood.

16. droxford

droxford Member

Bought our house here 24 years ago.

Certainly, I expect that, over time, population (and popularity of the area) will increase. But as each apartment complex gets built nearby, I see a big difference. It's like a huge people-bomb gets dropped.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

While true, endlessly sprawling out and widening the highways and roads in an effort to outpace growth is not a sustainable system. Density is inevitable. That being said density should be planned better to your point. Popping up random apartments everywhere shouldn't be the main route compared to redesigning blocks of neighborhoods to be less car dependent and more walkable and planning out some decent public transit. Houston infrastructure will not survive increased density with zero infrastructure changes.

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

I will say that the streets are so old in the heights it is laughable. An area that populous that still has gutter ditches? They should've been redoing the streets years ago.

droxford likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Houstonians would find a way to create massive traffic jams even if they walked everywhere.

clos4life, mikol13, Nook and 5 others like this.
  20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Why walk when you can ride Metrorail then wait at traffic lights same way cars do?

Such a poorly planned method of transit