1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka says Rockets looked "soft or scared" in loss to Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 4, 2024.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn’t more than twice.
    And no, Alp doesn’t shrink when playing big time games/players. He’s at his best.
    He’s been benched for lack of focus more so than toughness.
    And almost all of those players were older than our youngsters when they came in the league.

Stop making excuses for one of our guys and hating on another.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

soft or scared eh....

where's the toughness and leadership that they spent max money on and also $90mil for 4 years.

hopefully the rockets are able to draft Knecht with the nets draft pick and be the replacement of $90 mil overspent

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This team is young. They probably overachieved compared to their maturity levels. Coaching staff can only do so much, these are the types of games that are going to toughen them up for the future or know if they’re going to fold in the future.

IBTL likes this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im not a big fan of Udoka throwing his youngsters under the bus. Im all for 'tough love' but at some point HE needs to step in front of the bullets for his guys. Udoka didnt do this team any favors last night by being underprepared for a Jalen double team that the whole world knew was coming. His rotations are like throwing darts on any given night. No continuity. I think he's a good coach, but he also needs to bear some of the finger pointing.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree honestly. If it’s this many times he’s had to say they were soft, at some point as a leader, he has to shoulder some of the blame

IBTL, cml750, DaDakota and 1 other person like this.
  6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Ppl will ignore this comment but I been saying it almost season since December.

DaDakota, Verbal Christ and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Ime needs to look at himself too and teach this team how to box out

payaso, Verbal Christ and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree with this.

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Of course the Jalen haters will use ime comment to justify their sht take on how weak and soft green is.

All I know is when Jalen green is being double team their vets need to step it up. Getting triggered to see how much fvv and brooks get paid to just put up bench player numbers.
    If sengun was playing he would have bail Jalen out when he draws double team.

10. a time to chill

I trust in Udoka's abilities as a coach more than the abilities of some of the supposed stars on the team (e.g. Jalen Green and Jabari Smith). If he said they played soft, it's the truth. He's telling them the right things to do, but they have to execute. I'm tired of people pointing the finger at coaching rather than seeking to hold the players accountable. The NBA is a player driven league and you ain't getting far if you don't have talent regardless of how good the coach is.

BaselineFade, RoyalGuard, Moe and 2 others like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s fair. I too trust Ime, but you can only go to that well so many times before it wears thin and you have to adjust as a coach/leader.
    It definitely isn’t all his fault or even close, but ultimately their play is a representation of him.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ime's game plan was soft and scared.

DD

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Right now there is not a strong personality to butt heads with but I swear there will come a time a player would stand up to Ime eventually.

Or all the hard headed individuals are too old and care about being paid.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You know its highly unlikely we don't go through next season without injuries, right?

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Nah, Bari is a power forward who will probably be a Horford-esque PF/C hybrid down the line when he bulks up. He can't switch onto guards well enough to play the 3, and you want him near the rim on defense to grab rebounds. (He is #3 among power forwards in total rebounds this season.)

16. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t doubt that he will eventually trade for players he wants - but I’m not sure they are at that point yet. They don’t entirely know what they have with these guys yet.

topfive and daywalker02 like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Frustrating to have the structure in place now but what players to put into what categories.....

18. Nook

Nook Member

Bari can play the 3, especially in certain line ups and match ups.

He doesn’t have the lower body to play 4-5. Doesn’t have great center of gravity either.

He will get bigger and stronger and learn to use his body, but he is never going to be a monster in that way.

He can do a lot of things well though and play 3-5 in the right matchups.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think he can play the 3 some of the time right now in certain matchups, like you said. I just don't think he could do it full time now, nor do I think he'll be able to in the long term as he adds on more muscle mass, so I don't see the point in pushing him to learn that role.

Maybe 15 years ago when the league was slower and PFs were more traditional he would have been seen as a big three, but I think in today's game he's going to turn out to be an archetypal stretch 4/5. You just don't see too many Amare Stoudemire, Carlos Boozer style hulking power forwards anymore. You often instead see guys like Tatum, Kuzma, Siakam, etc. Even Jimmy Butler, who started out as a shooting guard, plays at the 4 a lot these days.

Nook likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Boston fans were saying this before we ever did. Predictable offense is his achilles heel.

mac_got_this and fchowd0311 like this.