1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IMAGINE if a GM or Coach said...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, May 25, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We dun really have a big problem.

But all small glitches added up....well.

Also nobody on that list has this much of usage rate in history....

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have a try.

Pacers team: Chuck Person maybe? Never watched much of Pacers.

6ers team: Eric Snow, AI, Mutombo, Aaron McKie.

Nets team: Kenyon Martin.....probably no Vince Carter but I would have liked to see him on that team
    earlier.

Kerry Kittles definitely.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yup, it's amazing right? Harden takes on a higher volume but with a similar success rate as far as getting votes from the media.

Oh sorry, were we supposed to look at this one negatively also?

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nah, it is alright, we had enough of that negativity.

I suppose I should be happy for him because he did not take the easy way out, forming a super team where it would be easier to win a ship.

These two years they have been on the outside looking in at the Larry O'Briens.

On a sidenote, on which other teams would you see Harden taking similar higher volumes?

Other than on a bad team.

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

On contenders? Probably none. Blazers if you consider them a contender.

They all have superior 2nd scorers to Chris Paul. Replace Paul with even Mccollum in this series and it changes everything.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

people on here just love to ignore the real issues and biggest problems

Rockets can give up 23 in a 4th quarter to Steph and double figure points to several role players...we can struggle to get key defensive rebounds all night, but post-game, we’ll have 5 threads talking about taking more midrange jumpers...

a lot of people on here barely watch other teams play, so they act like every other superstar is without flaws and just ballin while Harden is a big problem

if Steph, KD, and many others had been rollin with these Rockets rosters the past several years instead of being on stacked teams or playing with high level help, we’d be talking about them differently

Steph Curry can play like absolute trash for the 1st 4 games and 3 quarters of game 5 yet his team is still tied 2-2 and tied heading into the 4th quarter of game 5...if Harden ever played on that level, we’re looking at a sweep or 5 game ass whooping

Rocket River and Mathloom like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

McCollum was a bright star the second round, after his injury problems in the RS.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

This is the problem with people living on highlights. Harden's bad plays don't make the highlights. Durant's bad plays don't make the highlights. Curry, Lebron, etc.

So if you're one of the people who is basing their decision on what media shows you, obviously you're going to think this is unique.

HP3 likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, Kerry Kittles on the nets with Kidd and Jefferson.

Pacers had...Reggie Miller...and ummm...a lot of their team was older, Mark Jackson,

6ers had a lot of decent players too the only issue is that Iverson was their entire offense.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yup. Would have been nice to have him.

For all the **** people give Harden for taking those plays off, I wonder if they've thought about how a half-assed contest from several feet away was making Chris Paul malfunction mid-shot. Or did they think his defender was coming off the bench to take a swipe on Harden's drives?

HP3 likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All of this and...

Can you imagine Harden blowing a 3-1 lead to a team and then running to join that team?

This is what Durant did...but now that Durant joined a stacked team no one ever dares call him choker and anoint him as one of the best ever. It's amazing how short memories are. These same people, after GSW wins this title, will go on crying about how Durant needs to run to the Knicks for his legacy. Watch. It'll be the same guys anointing him as one of the best ever, they will turn around and push him to the Knicks for his legacy right after they win.

I always like to say, at least when it comes to sports, you're a choker...until you're not.

But yes, Harden's main obstacle is that he's never played with an elite player in their prime. Dwight wasn't in his prime, physically he was for a few years but the guy was a headcase...and we saw the last of CP3s prime his contract year, that was the last year we'll see of his prime and he got hurt when Harden most needed him.

I asked myself this question, if you swap Harden for Curry...do the Rockets win a ring? I think the answer is a resounding no. It's quite clear to me, they don't.

jordnnnn, HP3 and Mathloom like this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

100%.

Durant was the choker, iso, no-defense guy in OKC. Now he's their bail-out option for when the defense is dogging their off ball play.

Can you imagine if Steph Curry was our Chris Paul or Klay Thompson was our Eric Gordon or Draymond Green was our Clint Capela?

Hell, can you imagine how different this series would have gone if you made ONE minor tweak: Clint Capela can hit 35% of his 3's from the corner. Just with that one change, we are suddenly in business against a team consisting of:

Green
    Durant
    Iggy
    Thompson
    Curry

I think Rockets fans are upset and spoilt right now. It might shock a lot of people to know that I was disappointed that Harden couldn't take the reins at the end of Games 5 and 6. But I can see in his face, he's dead. He's just dead. It's a lot. It's a lot to win 4 games against the Warriors. It requires a greater physical toll to beat the Warriors because only effort can minimize the gap in talent. He brought it. Elite playoff scoring and great defense against an elite offense and defense.

And he stays. He doesn't check out other teams. He stays a Rocket. Over and over again. Durant has surely told him he's good enough to win with the right cast. He's watched these games too. He knows. He knows if he demands a trade, he will end up in a top market of his choice unless the Rockets never want an FA to ever sign with them again.

Dude has the biggest mountain to overcome. Yes we want him to do it Hakeem-style. But this is a bigger mountain than that. He's brought us so damn close. We just need to give him... a Klay Thompson. That's it. Not a megastar. Just someone of that calibre. But his own fans would rather **** on 1% of his plays. Baffles me.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Id like to see film of it which is what I said the sentence before. Why are other stars increasing their FT rate and not Harden, unless you think his arent legitimate. Id like to see the film before anyone talks to me about cheap fouls There were plenty of times in the Utah series where Harden wasnt getting the calls he deserves and then you saw what happend in game 1. Sure teams can defend a certain way but its kind of ridiculous that Giannis is getting MORE calls this season. Thats crazy. If you wanna talk about things getting physical in the playoffs, thats just non sense.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

If I could like this twice I would.

Mathloom likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Durant got injured and it only got worse for the rockets

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Addressed in multiple posts. We lost 1.25 games to a 73-win team. F*ck Harden right?

17. Mr. Clutch

It isn't about f*ck harden. It's about fixing his flaws (which are fixable) so that he's better than Curry. Then the rockets will beat the warriors.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Really, Harden disappearing on some plays is a bigger flaw than Curry being the anus in the Warriors defense?

Harden is at max capacity. He can only bring 30/6/6 with very good defense in the playoffs. You not happy with that? lol

HP3 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They win a ring if the trade consists of Curry, Kerr and the owner allowing to pay the luxury tax year in year out though.

If you surround Curry with minimum players and still trying to get under the tax, it is more than a resounding Hell to the NAW!!!

HP3 and JayGoogle like this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

Curry is much better than Harden, yes despite Curry being a meh defender.

It's not about more usage and box score stats. It's about playing in a more impactful way. As others have mentioned, it includes faster pace, moving off the ball, limiting turnovers, consistent effort on D, etc.