1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm Proud of the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Texans summary

Tied for toughest

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2268786

The Texans have managed a surprising 5-7 record despite playing a schedule tied for the toughest in the NFL through 13 weeks.

The Texans' 12 opponents have combined for a .576 winning percentage, tied with Buffalo for the toughest schedule in the league.

"Our schedule isn't very second-year friendly," left guard Todd Washington said.

Houston has played six teams that are leaders or co-leaders from five divisions -- the Colts and Titans in the AFC South, the Patriots in the AFC East, the Bengals in the AFC North, the Chiefs in the AFC West and the Panthers in the NFC South.

Factor in Miami, and seven of the Texans' opponents this season would make the playoffs if the season ended today. The Texans are 2-5 in those games.

2. Buck Turgidson

No doubt. Factor in the fact that they're a few plays away from being 7-5 or possibly 8-4, and there's much reason for optimism.

Work on the D & the O-line this offseason, Mr. Casserly.

Please.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If you would have told me at the beginning of this season that our record would be the same as or better than these teams after 12 games, I would have laughed. Especially with our schedule.

Tampa
    Oakland
    Atlanta
    NY Giants
    NY Jets
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    San Francisco

All of these teams made the playoffs last year. Amazing.

We will make the playoffs next year when we shore up the defense through the draft.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

That makes four of us. :)

Go Texans!!

5. Buck Turgidson

Sadly, I think that may say more about the sorry quality of hard salary cap NFL football than it does about the Texans on-field prowess.

But pretty damn cool regardless.

6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I feel like a good secondary player and a tough, run stopper on the D-Line would make us lightyears better on defense. As far as the O-Line goes, we're just a healthy season and a couple of vets away from being very good.

I definately see the playoffs next year, but a good offseason in critical.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I think we won too many games to get Taylor,Wilfork, or Harris in the draft so I guess Casserly will look at an outside linebacker who can rush the QB like Derrick Johnson.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i've been pretty impressed how the texans are almost never out of a game. that has been the thing that i have reflected on the most. despite how bad the defense can play at times they always seem to step up in the red zone and hold teams to field goals. while stats may not back that up thats just how it seems to me.

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Im glad we are 5-7 and all, but think if we had a more agressive offensive coordinator....... We could be easily 7-5 right now.....

Kinda frustrating to run, run, pass, punt on every possesion. I mean how predictable can we be?

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I am very happy with the team. We could easily be 7-5. Most of our losses have been very close games.

The Texan's have become the most exciting Houston team to watch on tv IMO. That is what get's me out of bed on Sundays at noon.

11. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Not giving up nearly 370 yards and over 24 points per game would probably up the wins, too.

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I think the Texans will go in to the playoffs in 2 or 3 years,

Go Texans!!!!!!!:)

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Try next year.:)

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

all together now.. WE LOVE YOU BOB MCNAIR!

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

No kidding. THis guy is my favorite franchise owner, bar none!

I wish he owned the Rocket's squad too.

McNair you ROCK!!!

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

We gotta give some ups to Mr. Casserly as well. It's not that easy to put together a squad from scratch, have them be competative, and still have an upside. When he took the GM post, he said something about a three year plan as far as being a contender... good call Charley.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yeah, all that franchise owner did was bring Drexler, and Barkley.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Of course, if two thirds of our defensive line didn't spend basically the entire year on the DL, those stats would be a lot lower.

19. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I agree. Without those injuries, the Texans might well be competing for a playoff spot.

I just don't think it's fair to blame the offensive play calling without mentioning the team's defensive short-comings this year.

20. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

So true, Payne was a monster before he got hurt and they were counting on the all-pro Walker too, there is a reason the backups are backups.

I am happy with the season, I remember back when the Oilers were here, I used to get this nervous feeling in my gut in a close game, I have those same feelings during the TEXANS games. I have been proud since game 1, kicking the cowgirls a$$ the first game was the perfect way to start a franchise.