1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IkoBomb: Some Truth To Ariza Buyout & Return to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Oct 18, 2018.

1. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Sure, but then why sign him in the first place? And why just help another team for free, why not then try and trade him since he's an expiring?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You "don't get" it because it is nonsense. There is no reason at all for PHX to do this unless Ariza starts going Jimmy-Butler-crazy at practices.

3. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

I don't know how likely but it is possible if Ariza himself wants to be released too. They did fire their GM right before the season started so really the signed guys aren't the current GM's guys. Don't look down on 3 mil :) It's still a lot of money for NBA owners.

hakeem94 and joshuaao like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

The Suns have no desire or intention to release or buyout Ariza.

Even if Ariza was shockingly bought out, there is no guarantee he would come to Houston. Everyone would want him and he is from LA. The Lakers and Warriors both would be after him.

TMac'n, GermanRoxFan, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah that doesn't make much sense either but then again neither does this random thought about ariza

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not counting on Ariza per se. BUT, if he left to go to the Suns for MONEY, the Rockets have the most MONEY available via the MLE. So there is that.

hakeem94 and DonKnock like this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

I watched the Suns yesternight and they won't win just 20 games. They are a real team and not the circus of last year. They pass they shoot. They don't defend. They have a system.

8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Why would you buyout a guy on a one year deal... This makes no sense...

Reeko likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No they don't.

10. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Not anymore Ariza is an elite two way playmaking small forward now

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

I thought Ariza CAN'T come back even if he was bought out?? Some rule or whatever about returning to the same team that traded you that season before the buyout or something? Like if he was traded by the Suns to another team and then bought out, he could return, but not if he was bought out directly by the suns. This is what i gathered from the GARM when i was saying Ariza just got his money and could still end up bought out and back on the team when he first signed. There were many know it alls saying it's not possible.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

it was a free agent decision. there isn't a rule in place that says a player can't return to the team he played with before, if for whatever reason he becomes available again on free market.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

My mistake on the trade part. All the same, i was told here by several that it wasn't possible. I guess no one really knows what the hell they're talking about. Especially the ones who attack you with their "facts."

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Ariza wasn’t traded

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Aware. That was a mistake. Still stands with signing as a free agent. People were telling me that he couldn't sign here if he was bought out.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

being actually traded just comes with the restrictions. being a free agent making a decision on your own, all is fair

Caesar likes this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Member

So the only real rule is the returning to the team that bought you out for a season?

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Naaaaah. There wasn't. There were threads about him being bought out and signing here with 48hrs of signing with the Suns.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

taken from the CBA

A team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, they can reacquire the player during the same season.

Caesar likes this.
  20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Did they play a Lottery Team? :)

DonKnock likes this.