1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Iko] Rockets trade options and Melo tidbits

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jan 21, 2019.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This would be close to ideal.

Green as a 4/5 could really help us out a lot and make life easier for CC and Tuck.

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm a Johnson fan, but he does not look right physically after that hernia. Unless he gets healthy I doubt he can help us.

D-rock, amaru and saleem like this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

No, two way players are not allowed to be traded after mid January.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks. Let's hope for the best.

5. saleem

Exactly. I too would be all for him on the Rockets, if he wasn't playing poorly.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Reality is .. . on offense the #1 thing is .. . .CAN YOU HIT THE OPEN 3
    CAUSE YOU ARE GOING TO GET ALOT OF THEM!!!!1

Rocket River

Remlap likes this.
  7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Dangle them picks morey. Harden and Paul are not getting any younger

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Heat want 2 things
    1. Improve rosters, they don’t view its improve.
    2. Tax release

I don’t like trades with heat bc pat is greedy. 1 first is not enough bc of greed.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Forreal
    I seriously have no great interest in Next year's pick

I don't see us in the top 20

Rocket River

BaselineFade, mario elie and saleem like this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Looks like the Butt likes Johnsons, but not Hernia's.

Interesting

Smacktle likes this.
  11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I understand what you are saying. I just believe it’s about the only the kind of deal involving Knight that could be done with adding Marquese Chriss as the sweetner or a couple of unprotected 2nd round picks. Sure, the Knicks may just decide to hold Lee into the offseason and then trade his expiring contract. But Knight/Chriss/Melo for Lee and Lance Thomas would work under the cap, and the Knicks would free up 5 million in cap space heading into the offseason. The problem is that the Rockets aren’t in a position where they ideally want to add five million to their 2019-2020 payroll.

Anything else would require at least one future first round pick, that I agree with.

#71 DVauthrin, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  12. saleem

Yes, there is no other way to move our junk. The return on Knight would be low for that, so I would be hesitant to go that route for him.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Chriss isn’t a sweetener.

There is no trade where we send out knight without a first round pick unless we are taking on longer big contracts. Lee hasn’t been traded because they want some value (which they probably won’t get) but they certainly aren’t going to move him in a deal for a terrible player in a terrible deal.

Knight is a huge negative asset

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, like I said, I don't see Knight being moved right now. More likely to see him move in the offseason or during next season.

Better to focus on the "under the radar" moves with the contract combinations below.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Fair enough. Then he’s an expiring contract helping the Knicks clear 5 million in cap space by unloading both Lee and Lance Thomas’ 2019-2020 salaries. But considering the Knicks hired a player development guru in Fizdale, and are currently starting Luke Kornet at center, I could see them having mild interest in giving Fizdale an opportunity to coach him the remainder of the season.

To your point about Knight being a huge negative asset, the same is true of Lee and Thomas (though not to the same level), especially considering the upcoming free agent class.

All that said, I, like you, believe the Rockets wind up stuck with Knight on the roster for the remainder of the season for the reasons you have mentioned.

#75 DVauthrin, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  16. Newlin

Newlin Member

Where did you hear this? I know that there is a January 15th deadline for signing players to a two way contract. But, I haven't seen that there is a mid January deadline for TRADING two way contract players.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Knight can be moved with 2 first rounders, bigger question is what player is returning and is he worth the 2 picks.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, that would be a bigger move for sure. But I see it as unlikely. Just my feeling.

Just feel like it is more likely a smaller move is made with Chriss, Melo and perhaps Nene/Ennis.

D-rock likes this.
  19. saleem

I tried a hypothetical trade on the ESPN trade machine for Garrett Temple for PJ and Vince Edwards. It worked. I would never propose anything like that. PJ is too valuable. So, I guess it is possible to move House right now. I don't want to do that, but Ennis and House for Prince would be all right with me. I wish House and Prince could join the Rockets. I wouldn't mind giving up the 2019 1st rounder for him.

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Chriss + 1st for Bobby Portis. He has one year left on his rookie deal.