1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Iko] Rockets trade options and Melo tidbits

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jan 21, 2019.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wanted Rodney but he is playing with a leg injury which has bothered him before. I would pass up on him.

D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. macan

macan Member

the lakers situation would had happened way earlier if lebrick really wanna play with melo..so yea don't see that happening
    more interested in the miami or piston situation if it happens.

saleem likes this.
  3. saleem

Yes, James Johnson had surgery for a sports hernia, I believe before the start of the season.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It appears Johnson’s offseason hernia surgery either didn’t go as planned or the injury was more severe than was thought. He should not have missed the first month of the season after having the surgery in May. Also, Miami has too many players that they want to play every game. It’s hard for any player to get in a rhythm when Spoelstra wants to play 10-11 guys every night. They need to clear some of their depth in the worst way, not only to resolve playing time issues, but to reduce their luxury tax bill.

saleem likes this.
  5. saleem

I could see the Pistons giving the Rockets a very low future second rounder for Melo.

6. DVauthrin

About the only deal involving Knight that might involve only 2nd round picks to unload him would be sending him to New York for Courtney Lee. Problem is the Knicks are holding out to see if they can trade Lee’s two-year deal for an expiring contract first, as they want to unload his salary or Hardaway Jr.’s to make a run at KD or other elite free agents.

saleem likes this.
  7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

anyone else wanna see a PJ Tucker and James Johnson lineup?

Hell, add in Beverley and you may have bad boys 2.0

8. DVauthrin

That’s fair. My perspective is the Rockets would be receiving a rotation-worthy NBA wing for nothing. It may not be the best deal available, but it’s still an upgrade.

#48 DVauthrin, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  9. saleem

Chriss, Melo and Hartenstein works cap wise for Wayne on the ESPN trade machine. It all depends on whether Miami really wants Melo. I think they would want a 1st rounder or a better 3 way deal. Ellington is a good shooter, but giving up a 1st rounder for him would be a bad move.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No chance they’d move lee for knight without us paying a steep price. Knight can’t play.

11. saleem

Deep info. That's amazing work. I have been interested in acquiring Lee for Knight without giving up a 1st rounder, ever since Gordon got hurt.

12. DVauthrin

I don’t think the price would be a first-round pick in this case. The Knicks aren’t getting a first-round pick from anyone for a 33-year-old that they have willingly turned into another coach on the bench, and has another season at 12 million on the books. They’ll be lucky to get a decent 2nd round pick for him.

If teams were offering a first-round pick for Lee, he’d be traded already.

13. saleem

That's too bad. I'm pretty realistic most of the time, but I thought two second rounders weren't too bad for Lee.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Lee isn’t worth a first round pick but the cost of moving knight is 2.

Let’s say lee is worth a 2nd or even is zero. The cost of moving knight means you’d still have to pay a first to swap knight for lee

ReturnOfTheMac likes this.
  15. hakeemthagreat

He's a young player with length & athleticism. He can also handle the ball along w/ catch & shoot

xiki likes this.
  16. Newlin

Newlin Member

I wonder if Morey will include House as a trade sweetener. Could be that the relationship between the Rockets and House is a bit strained. A rebuilding team may view House as a nice addition to a larger trade.

17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

JaMychal Green is my favorite from that bunch. He's shooting .405 from three this year which should make him playable next to Capela. Could come in handy for those Cousins/Draymond/KD lineups *vomit*.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. saleem

Can a 2 way player be included in a trade for a guaranteed contract? I know BimaThug said that 2 way players can be traded. I assumed it would be for another 2 way player.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The extra year on James Johnson’s deal combined with his declining numbers means we can’t and shouldn’t include a FRP to acquire him in any Knight based trade.

BK/Chriss/Melo for Johnson/Ellington.

Miami takes back less salary, Knight’s deal is a year shorter than Johnson’s and they move an unhappy player in Ellington.

We absorb the Johnson contract, but get two players that are playable and free up a roster spot.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't know the rules, but after what Bima said I assumed House could be traded for any player. But, the other team could still only have two 2-way players. And the Rockets would have to have an open spot for the incoming player.