1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

sheesh what a contract.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is literally the worst case scenario.

I could have settled for a non-rival team.

3. fchowd0311

At this point you might as well keep Correa.

4. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

If we trade Carlos it’ll effect our chemistry

5. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Why? I'd be STOKED if they gave Correa a massive overpay like this so he could play 75 games a year for them (and he wasn't even one of the best three players on our team when he played...) and their fans would start booing him by year two.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  6. astros123

astros123 Member

Or he could get his **** together and be a Hall of Famer. I dont know why people assume that Correa is going to be injury-prone for his entire career. I dont know how the Yanks are going resign Judge and Gley and have money for him though.

The Yanks are a scary scary team at the moment.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

Carlos when healthy is one of the best players on this team. He had one of the highest OPS numbers in the regular season for the time he did play and he is one of our best defensive weapons. He also is a core part of the chemistry team with the core offensive with Altuve, Springer and Bregman.

Injury concerns are very valid though. Players have been able to have healthy seasons after bad starts in their career in terms of staying on the field. Brantley was so important for the Astros this season and he has a pretty bad injury history also.

Htown Stros and htwnbandit like this.
  8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

IMO this is one of the better scenarios...I can't believe they really paid him that much for that long. Will he be still be a top 5 pitcher after 35? Most guys haven't been close (JV is an extreme outlier) to sustaining that type of performance, especially those who are built on blowing it by guys. Will he stay healthy?

I mean most of the position players given similar contracts came nowhere near to earning the value of the contract...I find it really hard to believe a 29 year old pitcher is going to do it.

9. fchowd0311

Our starting rotation with Verlander and Grienke a year older is not looking like a sure bet to be great anymore. I really hope Lance has a break out superstar season returning from injury.

mikol13 and htwnbandit like this.
  10. astros123

astros123 Member

No way you can twist this in which its a good scenario. Quit fooling yourself. Who do the Astros have in 5 years? Tuve/springer/Verlander are all on the wrong side of 30s. I love Alvarez as much as the next person does but at the end of the day, he's a DH. Yanks have much better younger talent than us. The next 2 years were OUR window and with the Yanks getting Cole it makes it very difficult.

This is the WORST case scenario.

#1070 astros123, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  11. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

He was 4th in OPS but obviously it was a great OPS. The Brantley comparison IMO is not a great one - go look at his first four years in the league compared to Correa. And while he was important to us, it looked like he was told to pretty much avoid injury in the OF last year which is fine given his age...telling Correa the same would be ridiculous.

If you can't stay healthy when you are in your early 20s, and the issues are always neck/back, that's a problem and the first player that comes to mind is Tulo. I'm giving him one more season, but I'm writing him off if he misses 30+ games again next year, especially for a neck or back issue. We can't just keep hoping something miraculously changes and he becomes free of all these issues - I'm not worried about the regular season but the last two seasons he limped into the playoffs and it showed with his trash performance.

RustyHarden likes this.
  12. adoo

adoo Member

w Cole off the market, the best available FA pitcher are 2 lefies, age 32:
    • Madison Bumgartner, formerly of the Giants and
    • Hyun Jin Ryu, formerly the Dodgers
    would they fit in Astros plan?

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

What talent do they have that is better and younger outside of Torres? Who is 23.

You’re underselling some of the young talent on the Astros and overselling the Yanks.

Losing Cole to the Yanks sucks but he also has to prove he’s the Astros version Cole and not the Pirates version.

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

What other scenario did you want? The Angels? Sure...but they were never going to overpay like this. If they didn't decide to overpay for Cole, who do you think their backup plan was? I'll tell you...it's the guy that just dropped his fat d*** on us in the WS like no SP has done during this run.

And I don't know I don't have my crystal ball with me to determine what we'll have in 5 years. That said, why does it matter if he's a DH and are you telling me you are 100% certain within 5 years he won't be playing in NL park games? LF isn't really a tough place to play in MMP in case you haven't seen the park lately...once Brantley (who was also awful in the OF) is gone it'll open up that spot for him. Bregman will be in his prime, likely better than he is today based on the fact he continues improving, and yes Verlander/Greinke will both be retired. Who knows what will happen but I can guarantee Bregman and Alvarez will be two of the top hitters in the AL.

Edit: By the way, that McCullers kid was pretty dang good the last time he faced the Yankees in the playoffs in a game 7. Also, it's pretty funny/ironic that he dominated them throwing the same pitch 23 straight times and the Yankees are being huge crybabies about our "signs stealing scandal". Either the Yankees roster was/is full of mentally slow players or maybe it isn't so easy to hit a pitch even when you know which pitch is coming after all?

#1074 Htown Stros, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Yeah, don't listen to him or you'll think the sky is falling. He also has to prove he'll continue to be motivated after getting that massive deal...plenty of players have fallen off. Truthfully, I don't really see much of a difference between Strasburg and Cole the next 2-3 years which is when he is complaining about anyway.

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Cant even count on Lance in the playoffs .. he is going to be on a pitch count next season ... what? 120-150 innings tops?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who did the Astros have 5 years ago....

Don’t be dramatic.... or homophobic for that matter (surprised your posting privleges still allowed...)

Htown Stros and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

For that price not only do you let him walk but you drive him to the plane and carry his luggage on the way out.

Sheesh.

Elienator, Htown Stros and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Personally, I'd wait until July partially because neither of those are exciting/will be overpaid and also because I'd like to see what punishment we get from the MLB first.

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

You think he was watching the Astros five years ago?

RustyHarden likes this.