1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Baddest man on the planet

lw17 likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If Crane doesn’t pay Cole will be be worse than Tilman?

LabMouse, lw17 and Sajan like this.
  4. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Worse than...

wait there is no GM for the Texans.

Worse than that!!!

lw17 likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Crane is rocking 2 WS rings he could trade all our players and line up toddlers for public execution and he would still be a good owner in my book.

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Crane, Lunhow and company cannot let Gerrit Cole pitch in another uniform next season. They are smart businessmen and can figure out a way to make it work in the budget for two years until Greinke’s deal expires.

Cole is the long-term ace and anchor of this rotation.

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Said this in the other thread, If Kate and Amy become BFFs this summer/fall, maybe she can put an ear into Gerrit to stay in Houston.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Can fans or company donate some money to the team to keep Cole?

9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Jeez thats dark, worse than clubbing baby seals...

10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Couldn't you just move Grienke? Or is his deal too complicated?

Astros might be better off going after Wheeler. Verlander, Wheeler, Grienke, McCullers, Whitley, Urquidy

#510 jev5555, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Cole for MVP??

12. DVauthrin

It’s certainly possible because Arizona paid a lot of his remaining salary.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

So here's a question. How long to elite power pitcher typically maintain their peak?

We can all tell that this year, Cole has been at that level. If we add 2018, that makes 2 years in a row. How many power pitchers maintain their peak level for 3 or 4 consecutive years?

Because say you pay Cole and his effectiveness drops a bit next year and in 2021, would it have still be worth it?

14. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

I guess it would depend on how much he get's paid. I don't know if Cole would take some kind of discount to be a contender for a few more years, but that would be great.

15. TheresTheDagger

I refuse to believe Luhnow didn't leave himself a way to get it done if need be. The only question is (beyond the money) what will it cost Houston in other contracts/flexibility/etc?

16. DVauthrin

When you have a pitcher in his prime doing the kinds of things Cole’s doing as an Astro, you figure out a way to keep him in your organization. Zach Wheeler is a talented pitcher, but, no, the Astros are not better off letting the best starting pitcher in baseball go somewhere else in free agency.

17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Everyone relax.;) When Luhnow picked up Cole, he was a slightly above league-average pitcher with a 100 mph fastball and with tons of upside. Astros worked their pitching magic and he's a Cy Young winner (basically). Luhnow and his team will find the next Cole, just like they found Charlie Morton before him, and Ryan Pressley, and helped Colin McHugh. We have to face a reality: Cole is gonna get north of $200M and Crane already said that it'll be tough to re-sign him. I just think we ride him as far as we can go this year, hope for the best, but trust that we'll find the next diamond in the rough-- I mean once for the organization is lucky, twice is coincidence, three or more times is true skill and great coaching. It certainly feels like the Astros are able to scout out and 'fix' many potential stars and if we do manage to sign on Cole, it'll be tough to keep Springer, Correa etc. Next year we'll have Verlander, Greinke, McCullers, Sanchez, and probably a new pitcher who was also a slightly above league average guy they can turn into another star. I want Cole back but we have to be realistic and also think consequentially about what it means to the make-up of the rest of the team. The man can only pitch every 5 days (ok--maybe every 3 in the playoffs--BEAST!)

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. HTown2017Champs

Sanchez is missing most of the season with recovery from his injuries. He's a possibility to be non-tendered.
    If we could trade Greinke for prospects to an NL team (Braves? Brewers?) to replenish the farm and so he can go back to hitting (which he seems to love) and move that $20 to Cole, I'd be down. I know it almost certainly won't happen, but I love playing fantasy GM. :p

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure if this has been posted.....

”When Cole retired the Rays in order in the third on a grounder and two fly balls, it marked the first time since Aug. 1 that he had not struck out at least one batter in an inning, a stretch of 73 straight innings. According to Elias Sports Bureau research, it's the longest such streak during the expansion era (since 1961), and second place isn't even close: Pedro Martinez is next on the list with a 40-inning streak in 1999.”

20. TheresTheDagger

I wish I was as confident as you the Astros will simply find and develop the next Cole so easily. I don't think it's ANYWHERE near as easy as you make it sound here....otherwise people like McHugh, Peacock, Miley, and most of our bullpen would be dominant too.