1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think so. I think James and Abreu will both be counted on as relievers from day 1 next season. I think Peacock and Framber (along with possibly Cionel Perez) will be the swing guys competing for both rotation and bullpen roles next spring (although ideally Houston will have their 5 starters locked in).

BigM likes this.
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. astros123

astros123 Member

Id be willing to pay a Cole tax on tickets next year. Increase tix price in the name of keeping Cole.

5. Elienator

Elienator Member

Pay this man his money.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

He may be up to $38 mill per year...and worth every penny.

clutchdabear and HTown2017Champs like this.
  7. HTown2017Champs

He is truly a generational talent. Insanely fun to watch, a total K machine with low walk rates and elite velocity.

clutchdabear and vince like this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Cole is dominating Major League hitters like one of those little leaguers who hit puberty early.

As amazing, and I mean amazing, as Verlander is, Cole is the best pitcher in baseball right now. It's astonishing to watch.

9. conquistador#11

35 million/ per year for 4 yrs and I'll throw in a tractor. I don't know what he's going to do with a tractor since he's from Cali but it's worked before.
    That would be my final offer.
    But we should just enjoy the moment.
    Life moves pretty fast....

10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Knowing what they know now... did they jump the gun on the Verlander extension?

bird in the hand... I know. Just one of those what ifs. Cole deserves to be the highest paid player in baseball.

12. Jeremy Williams

Absolutely not. Verlander has earned every penny and would hurt just as much to lose.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Cole were willing to go 2 years 70 million I'm imagine the franchise would find a way to make it work.

I still think the long term risk factor is a bigger issue than the tax.

The Real Shady likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Has anybody started a gofundme page yet? Ill chip in.

the shark and The Real Shady like this.
  15. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Yeah pay that man and don’t resign springer and Correa. They can be replaced. Pitching out duels batting in playoffs. Plus those two guys often get injured.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I’m not saying he hasn’t earned it or isn’t worth it.

Just saying that at the time of the extension being worked on/discussed, Cole was not pitching like the best pitcher that baseball has seen since 2000 Pedro, or Nolan Ryan re-created.

if that knowledge was available, do you think they might have altered their approach?

In the end, I’m happy they’re going to get the last great years of JV. They may even work out something on a year to year deal after that depending on where the team is (like they did with Clemens). And I’m thankful that I’ve gotten to witness one of the best stretches of pitching EVER in Cole, and certainly the most dominant extended run of pitching by a member of the Astros.

He’s now better than Scott was in 86. Better than Randy was in 98. Yes, being other worldly in the playoffs will have this effect on perceived greatness.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The tax will always be THE issue regarding all moves going forward. The Astros are more willing to sign a pitcher longer term once they have first hand access to them and their medicals

Certainly can’t argue against the loophole they’ve now exploited twice (and hopefully a third time with Zack) of trading for a front line pitcher on their current deal and making them even better.

18. the shark

the shark Member

One of the reasons he'd resign here is he's good friends with JV. He's going to get $$ no matter what team he signs with.

19. the shark

the shark Member

The only two big contracts on the books after two years is Altuve and Bregman. He's still young and in his prime. There's no way in hell he's signing for just two yrs......even if they gave him a two yr 90 million $$ contract.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It is interesting to think. Between tickets and accompanying purchases (merch, food) they could probably afford Cole by raising prices ~$7/ticket (3M tickets x $7 plus price hikes on food and merch). I don’t know if fans would stomach that or not but it’s a pretty clear path to affording him.

It’s difficult to watch a guy THAT good walk away. Crane seems competitive enough to do everything in his power not to let that happen.