1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

I really appreciate the honesty of Crane.

He could have said "absolutely we will try to sign him" but he didn't. He gave a measured and reasonable response.

He also hinted at what was known (or expected), winning the World Series and shedding of salary/contributors are possible if Cole's number isn't absolutely insane.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

3. Buck Turgidson

That's been a constant with Crane since he bought the team: he's not shy about saying what he wants the team to do (not how to get there) and how he's willing to make it happen from his end.

Nook likes this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

He aint no tilman fercheapa.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cole should receive an absolutely insane offer from someone. I know the Yankees are trying to show financial restraint these days, but I don't see anyway they can get knocked out of the playoffs three times in five years by those bastards from Houston without responding with their wallets.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Yup, that is what I am thinking.

I also would not be shocked to see Cole go on a 3-4 year run where he is the best pitcher in baseball and racks up a couple Cy Young awards.

This isn't a guy that just had some luck or has a gimmick. He is arguably the most talented pitcher in baseball and extremely hard to hit..... 330 K's is not something someone falls into.

CometsWin likes this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If we won the World Series this year I would totally and completely sign off on your rebuild plan, as long as you keep Cole and JV, and re-sign Springer, and you are actually getting top 100 types for Brantley, Correa and Greinke (and I'd be happy to eat money on Greinke and Brantley to make sure I got top 100 type guys in the context of what you are talking about).

JV, Cole, LMJ, Whitley, Uriquez as a rotation with a lineup that includes Springer, Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Tucker, Straw, Catcher, Toro and 1b with Osuna and Pressley at the back end still should win 95 games and be in the playoff crap shoot, but more importantly that should set you up to be really good all the way through 2024 or 2025, with a blueprint to keeping that going all the way through 2030- which would be the end of Altuve's career and the end of Bregman's prime, which if they are HOF'ers like you hope they are that should be their aging cycle.

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

And this is the answer to me for why you keep him. When guys come into their own like this it's not generally a 1 or 2 year run- it's generally 4 or 5 or 6 at the top of the game. Look at all the repeat Cy Young winners where guys are at the top of the ballot for half a decade. I think that's what Cole looks like until 33 or 34. Also, I think he's a smart guy and a student of the game and I could see him having a gentle post prime. If there was ever a guy I would give 6 or 7 years to and trade away good players to make it happen it would be Cole, I think.

9. Jeremy Williams

If you are cole, and agree to stay in Houston, do you do that with this plan in mind?

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I find it hilarious that it took 2 years for Ray Searage to go from the miracle worker that turned every failed starter into a quality MoR pitcher to the guy that kept Cole and Morton from becoming great. Surprised to see he's still the pitching coach in Pittsburgh.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Astros are eating money for prospects, they should just keep those guys instead of buying prospects.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It’s all mental masterbation as 1) we wouldn’t do that and 2) I’m sure Cole is gone. But interesting to me as a thought experiment presented.

13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

By eating money I mean a couple million a guy- 10 million for the two of them combined, tops.

14. Buck Turgidson

Especially after hearing everything Cole said last year about the difference in the philosophy/data/coaching wrt the 2 teams.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros could keep Correa for 10 million.

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m aware. The goal in that scenario is not to keep Correa, the goal is to field a 95 win team that competes for the WS in this year while resetting and extending you competitive window for future years. Paying Correa $10 million in 2020 wouldn’t further that goal

17. Jeremy Williams

Umm....a 95 win team would have missed the playoffs this season.

Don't settle for mediocrity when you can have greatness.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It’s not his fault. It’s not his fault. I mean, I guess it is bc he didn’t adapt, but he had a good strategy that worked well for him for a lot of years and then the launch angle revolution and FO around baseball hunting low ball uppercut guys pretty much ruined his strategy

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, 95 wins isn’t mediocre it’s pretty ****ing good, and most years would win most divisions.

You’d do it to extend the competitive window. Either way I think Astros fans should prepare for a step back next year, the question becomes how much of a step back will we take and will it be with an eye toward being as good as possible in 2020 or will it be with an eye toward extending our competitive window.

20. Jeremy Williams

Zero reason to fear a significant step back. More than likely we field a team similar to the 101 win, WS champs roster.

We need to sign catchers (hopefully Maldonado and Chirinos), 1 SP and 1 RP (hopefully Harris). Cole would be the dream team signing.

Offense likely is an upgrade next year--an UPGRADE over this one. Think about that.

Pitching is similar to the 2017 squad. Weaknesses in the pen and we need a Morton-like signing. Whitley will also graduate next year.

Just keep telling yourself: BELIEVE!

C ? (Maldonado or Chirinos likely resigned)
    1B Gurriel
    2B Altuve
    3B Bregman
    SS Correa
    DH Alvarez
    LF Brantley
    CF Springer
    RF Tucker
    IF Diaz, Maldanado/Chirinos, Toro
    OF Marisnick, Straw

SP Verlander
    SP McCullers