1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we were to trade Hakeem...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Little O, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

This is just a hypothetical thread about trading Hakeem. The Rockets have not even considered trading Hakeem yet so most of this is just pure speculation. All we have had is some comments by the Dream in the papers. But if we were to trade Hakeem, what do you think the Rockets could reasonably get. I want possible trades here with reasonable justification for both teams.

I was thinking after December 15th...

Juwan Howard and Jahidi White
    for
    Hakeem Olujawon and Maurice Taylor

Why Washington does this trade:

Washington is looking for cap room sooner rather than later. By obtaining Hakeem and Maurice Taylor, they have the option of simply letting both of these players go at the end of the year (freeing up 14 mil or so) or keeping them on for another year or so and maybe signing them (if they can) to lesser contracts if they like them enough. Maurice Taylor still is not a complete bust and is a very competent player that will thrive in the weaker Eastern Conference. They will still have a power forward and a center on the team so they do not destroy their frontcourt completely. Plus the good pr by bringing on a legend such as Hakeem (I do not put much weight into this though) and bringing Hakeem and Jordan together.

Why Houston does this trade:

Houston's largest weaknesses are rebounding and a defensive presence down the middle. Jahidi can provide both of these to some degree as a starting center when Cato is injured or as a back-up power forward. Juwan Howard basically gives us another version of Mo Taylor, but with better rebounding skills and better offensive weaponry. PR will be bad because we let Hakeem go and maybe because we gave up on Mo so early, but Mo is not like Shandon. Mo is basically using us to get a better contract either here or elsewhere. There is not the same loyalty that Shandon supposedly has. The major problem with this trade is the hefty contract that Juwan carries with him, but next year, there really are no really attractive free agents other than Webber in the front court, that I would rather sign. It still looks like the best way for Houston to improve in the upcoming years is either by trade or through the draft.

------------------
    Little O

2. Bob Rainey

Bob Rainey Member

maybe, maybe
    <marquee><font color=red font size=6> [​IMG] [​IMG]NO [​IMG] [​IMG]</font></marquee>

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bob Rainey (edited December 05, 2000).]

3. Bob Rainey

Bob Rainey Member

------------------

4. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Juwan Howard makes over 20 million next year. I don't think that the Rockets need that contract.

On second thought, we could have a frontcourt that costs like 32 million in Cato, Howard, and Williams. You figure these guys would combine for about 32 points/game so the money would be well spent.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If we were to trade Dream, I think you have the only idea that will work: find a team with a cap albatross that we can unload for them. Howard, Reeves are two that come to mind. Marshall and Kemp used to also be people in that category, but no longer since their recent trades. However, I'm not sure Houston is in a position where they can accept dead weight on their roster. Free Agency next year won't be worth participating in, but I don't know about years beyond that. Anderson would have to use his option for a third year and get Bird Rights, which I assume he's planning on doing anyway. Mo Taylor wouldn't stay, which wouldn't be a loss (btw, I'm not a Mo-bashing bandwagoneer: I've bashed him from the beginning, even voting against signing him to the mid-level exception).

One other possibility is trading him to a competitive team with no center to speak of who would want Dream to get over the hump in the immediate future. They would have to compensate us in potential: young bench players and draft picks. I looked at Phoenix on Realgm.com and got this:

Dream and Mo Taylor to Phoenix for Gugliotta, Dudley, Garces, McPherson and Santiago. The problem is I'm not sure Gugliotta at 10 mill per year is an albatross or not.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

How profound Bob Rainey.....quoting yourself!

[​IMG]

STOP with the "trade Hakeem" threads now!!!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

7. Bob Rainey

Bob Rainey Member

Think big folks! Minnesota needs cap room, so Hakeem and Stevie Franchise for KG is the answer.

houston trades: Hakeem Olajuwon $16,700,000 to minnesota
    houston trades: Steve Francis $3,246,960 to minnesota
    TOTAL: $19,946,960
    minnesota trades: Kevin Garnett $19,607,350 to houston
    TOTAL: $19,607,350

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to houston and minnesota being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. houston and minnesota had to be within 15% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

------------------

8. Summer Song Giver

deleted

------------------
    Mitch Meluskey...The real Slim Shady

[This message has been edited by Summer Song Giver (edited December 05, 2000).]

9. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

DISASTER RELIEF WILL BE NEEDED!!!ARE YOU OUT OF THIS WORLD OR WHAT? NO CAN DO,SIR!:CONFUSED:

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

10. Thanos

Thanos Member

This tread seems more appropriate...

What about Hakeem for Mutumbo? Shots wouldn´t be a problem for him, and we would get the rebounding and
    shot blocking we sorely lack.

If Mutumbo does not fit, we STILL have the capspace available next year, and a sign and trade could fetch us
    something quite intersting if Mo and Shandon fail to live up to our expectations.

Add a few players, say Wiz, KT and maybe Wright, and it could work.

What do you guys think?

------------------
    "I have posted so much that what I say must be true"

11. Thanos

Thanos Member

Obviously the above suggestion should only be considered if Hakeem himself demands a trade.

------------------
    "I have posted so much that what I say must be true"

12. Summer Song Giver

Hakeem undoubtably has a no trade clause in his deal(if not then I stand Corrected)so a proposal where he lands in Atlanta is one I doubt he'd go for.Instead there would only be a select few teams he'd agree to go to and even less of those teams would have an interest in acquiring him.

------------------

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

14. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I don't think that Atlanta is going to trade Mutombo for Dream. Its not like Dream is going to make them a playoff team. Dik is a FA at years end, so the trade gives them only a little bit more cap room. I think the only trade they would look at would be Dream/Mo for Dik/Alan Henderson. Henderson has a pretty big contract that will only get bigger. The hawks will have good offers from other teams so we have to help them in some way and taking Alan Henderson relieves them of a big contract. That said, I don't like the trade.

If we trade Dream, we have to take on some huge salaried player that is underachieving or is questionable coming off of an injury (Googs). Also, any trade of Dream will mean we don't have cap space next year to take a shot at Webber.

What will that cap space mean though, if Webber falls through? Maybe we should eat a big contract like Reeves, if and only if, we land a stud, like Swift, with him.

------------------
    - Beck

15. Live

Live Member

I like that Swift/Olajuwon trade, Summer Song. I think that of the three, it is the most realistic, but we'll probably have to give up a pick. And I would love to get Marion from Phoenix, but I don't think Phoenix, or Philly for that matter, will want to break up their nucleus right now.

What about:

Olajuwon & the lowest 2001 1st round pick/KT?/Los? to Indiana
    Harrington/Croshere? & Bender to Houston

Indiana would get a true C in Olajuwon and could move O'Neal to PF. The Rockets would be getting 2 quality Fs in Harrington and Bender. And the trade is to an Eastern Conference team, so it probably won't come back to bite them later.

Lineups
    Houston Indiana
    C- Cato/Collier Olajuwon/Perkins
    PF-Mo?/Harrington/KT?/Los? O'Neal/Croshere
    SF-Walt/Bender/Langhi Rose/McKey
    SG-SA/Cat Miller/??????
    PG-Steve/Mooch Best/??????

The Rockets would be set at PF and SF for the next 10 years and could let Mo go elsewhere at years end. And with Dream in the middle, Indiana becomes a playoff team and possible contender. What do you think?

------------------
    "We make a lot, but we spend a lot." Patrick Ewing, alumnus, Georgetown University

16. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Outlaw,
    I like your thinking. the Cavs have Illgauskas and he makes 10+million. They may be willing to part with Mihm since Illgauskas looks healthy this year. We would have to take Wes Person and Gatling with Mihm to get close to 16mil. Throw in maybe Cedric Henderson, who makes 3 mil and doesn't see that many minutes and I think that is an okay deal. I don't know if the Cavs go for it. They might becasue Mihm, Person, and Henderson all average less than 20 minutes/game.
    Gatling is a free agent at years end, so we have some cap space to sign a middle tier free agent. Mihm is a 7 footer who can make the 15 footer, and Person gives us some shooting if Bullard leaves.
    The trade does create a bigger logjam at the SG/SF spots.

------------------
    - Beck

17. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

Summer Song Giver brings up a good point. Does Hakeem have a no trade clause in his contract? If he does what teams would he be willing to go to. I would think that he would want to go to a team where he either has a chance of winning, or a place that he has mentioned as a possibility before. Here are some playoff teams and of course,

Vancouver

Hakeem has mentioned before that he might play here. Vancouver does have some interesting trade possibilities. Swift namely would be nice to have. Any trade we would make would also involve Big Country, who eats a thousand times his weight in cap room.

Phoenix

Good playoff team with championship capabilities, but I don't think will part with the right player combination for Houston. They aren't going to give up Marion. Do we really want the oft-injured Gugliotta.

Portland

They would probably love to have a center better than Sabonis, or at least to split time with, but looking over their team, I can't see anything worth taking that they would give up.

Utah

I don't want to trade Hakeem here, but Donyell Marshall is an interesting possibility, but not interesting enough for me.

Knicks

They would take Hakeem and Hakeem might go here. I wouldn't mind having Spree or Houston, but we already have enough guards. A third team would have to be involved and three team deals give me headaches I would rather not have.

76ers

If and only if we could get Ratliff... (please, not Matt Geigers

Heat

Would love a center, but have to destroy the team to get Hakeem. So he's not going here either.

------------------
    Little O

18. Summer Song Giver

Just out of curiousity....what could we get for Dream?...

Dream and Mo to Pheonix
    Gugliotta,Marion,Dudley,and Blount to Houston
    Accepted after Dec.15
    Why it works for Houston
    We get the Small forward we know we all want in Marion and a possible All Star power Forward in Gugliotta.Dudley and Blount are there strictly for cap purposes and anything they could give us would be a bonus.
    Why it works for Phoenix
    They get the center they have always wanted and a legitimate Power Forward to replace Googs.

Phoenix lineup.......Houston lineup
    Olajuwon.............Cato
    Mo Taylor............Gugliotta
    Robinson or Rodgers..Marion
    Penny................Cat or Anserson
    Kidd.................Franchise

Dream to Philly
    Ratliff or Geiger,Lynch,and T.Hill to Houston
    Deal works with either Ratliff or Geiger
    Why it works for Houston
    Geiger is an above average center in this league when healthy and a good rebounder.Lynch could compete with Wiz for the starters spot.Hill adds rebounding and toughness in the post.Ratliff instead of Geiger is probably a pipe dream and best case scenario
    Why it works for Philly
    On alot of philly rant rooms it seems to me they think Ratliff would be even more effective were he allowed to play power forward instead of center with Dream he could.

Philly lineup..........Houston lineup
    Dream..................Cato or Geiger
    Ratliff................Mo or Tyrone Hill
    Kukoc..................Wizard or George Lynch
    Iverson................Cat or Anderson
    Snow...................Franchise

Dream to Vancouver
    Reeves,Swift,and Harrington to Houston
    This would probably make Dream [​IMG](lopsided in Houston's favor?)(only works after Dec.15)
    Why it works for Houston
    Two words Stromile Swift,this guy is having trouble competing with bigger and stronger big forwards and with SAR in Vancouver a move to small forward is probably out of the question.Here in Houston though Swift could be the franchise Small Forward we all want.Reeves/Cato would be a very potent offensive/defensive center combo and Harrington could replace Mo.
    Why it works for Vancouver
    It is no big secret Dream would like nothing more than finishing his career in Vancouver thus resigning him next year should be no problem next year at almost assuredly less than they are paying Big Country this year giving them probably eight to ten million dollars to replace Othella.

Vancouver lineup........Houston Lineup
    Dream...................Cato/Reeves
    ? maybe Austin..........Othella/Mo
    SAR.....................Stromile Swift
    Dickerson...............Cat or SA
    Bibby...................Franchise
    CAP SPACE

Are any of these deals appealing to you guys,personally I find them all very tempting in their own way with either Phoenix or Vancouver my favorites.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Summer Song Giver (edited December 05, 2000).]

19. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I don't think Phoenix is going to part with Marion. He looks like a player. I think Phoenix would give up Googs and Dudley for Dream. They would:

• get a legit center
    • get rid of Googs' big contract
    • have cap space to sign Webber

The Rockets would get Googs, who may still have good game left. The problems would be:

• the Rox lose their cap space next year
    • the Rox take on Dudleys big contract
    • Googs big contract if he has no game left

Is it worth it?

------------------
    - Beck

20. Summer Song Giver

I wouldn't do the deal with Phoenix unless Marion is included he is the clincher,if they are unwilling to part with him I'd just let Hakeem walk next year and settle for cap space.

------------------