1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we don't get Martin, Swift, Miles or Miller, what should we do at #9, ?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Sherlock, May 15, 2000.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I've been looking at the top 9 picks, and we've got some wonderful potential if we move up in the draft to get Martin, Swift or Miles, and I really hope we do, but if we keep our pick at #9, and Chicago takes Darius Miles, we could sort of get screwed for front court help. Let's say the top twenty is:

<OL> Top 20

[*] LAC - Kenyon Martin
    [*] Chicago - Chris Mihm
    [*] Orlando - Stromile Swift
    [*] Vancouver - Marcus Pfizer
    [*] Atlanta - Mike Miller
    [*] Chicago - Courtney Alexander
    [*] NJ Nets - Joel Prysbilla
    [*] Cleveland - Iakovos Tsakalidis
    [*] Houston - Darius Miles
    [*] Orlando - Quinten Richardson
    [*] Boston - Eric Barkley
    [*] Dallas - Jerome Moiso
    [*] Orlando - Olumide Oyedeji
    [*] Detroit - Etan Thomas
    [*] Milwaukee - Donnell Harvey
    [*] Sacramento - DerMarr Johnson
    [*] Seattle - Morris Peterson
    [*] LAC - Mateen Cleaves
    [*] Charlotte - Chris Carrawell
    [*] Philadelphia - Hanno Mottola
    [/list=a]

Well, then we'd do awesome at #9 with Miles. But let's say that Chicago decides to take Miles at #6, who would you pick?

I would assume we'd take Moiso.

But if that happened, I'd rather trade our pick for someone's pick next year, or trade down our pick to, lets say Chicago. In order to get Eric Barkley at #9, the best point guard in the draft, they might trade their later picks at 24, 32, 33, and 34, and I'd take Deshawn Stephenson, Mario Austin, Chris Porter, and Jamaal Magliore if they were available, and I think they would be.

This is a high risk, but I believe everyone after that is anyway. My list of who I think could be the <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000213.html">top 38 is here.</a> The new CBA really makes taking some of these possible high school phenoms a good deal, even though the Rockets have historically taken mostly college seniors. Even though it would take a little longer for them to develop, these guys would give us some more athleticism, lower our cap for next year, and give us a strong future either as players or trade material.

Once Dream retires, pick up Webber or Duncan as FAs, and we could be set in another couple years for 10 years. If we traded Drew, TMass (maybe Cato)and some of the exception for Kandi, that would give us:

Dream/Kandi/Magliore
    KT/Cato/Austin
    Williams/Porter/Bullard
    Anderson/Mobely/Stephenson
    Francis/Norris

Of course, I'd rather get Swift or Martin this year, Webber or Duncan next year, and we'd probably get to the Western Championships for years to come.

Now if Popeye's dream deal of getting Odom turned out, geez ... let's talk Finals.
    ------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

[This message has been edited by Sherlock (edited May 15, 2000).]

2. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

If we can't get any of the Big 4, Miles, Demarr Johnson or Miller, I wouldn't be against trading that pick for like a 2nd rounder plus next years #1--if that team was a scrub (e.g., Golden State, Washington, or Clippers)(likely top5 picks next year). We don't need guards, and there are some mighty fine guards that will be available at the 9 spot (Barkley, Dooling, Alexander, Mo Pete), so a team that desperately needs a 1 or 2 might go for such a trade. On the other hand, if CD and RT are very high on Moiso, Oyldeji(sp?), Pryzbilla or E. Thomas, I wouldn't be upset with them picking the best of these guys. The only thing you don't want to do is pick one of these guys if Barkley or Alexander is on the board and you think they are far greater talents, in that case you want to trade down or trade for next year.

------------------

3. Sherlock

Why would you want DerMarr Johnson? I know he's tall and athletic, but he's a shooting guard, and we already have Anderson and Mobely. Unless you think we'll lose Mobeley, it's my opinion, he'd be a wasted pick.

------------------

4. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

What's wrong with taking Moiso? He's the athletic PF we covet.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the premiere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What's with all the questions, Sherlock. There are no Watsons around here for Socratic soliloquoys.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hold on a minute there. Moiso is a big time prospect. He won't be there at #12, we'll be lucky if he's there at #9.

At #9, the likely choices for us would be Miller, Miles (may go earlier), Moiso, Johnson, or we my try our hand with Oyededji.

As for #9 for a late first rounder, and 3 2nd rounders......uh, I'll pass.
    Stevenson has a good chance of going at #13 to Orlando, and if not them, easily someone else, earlier. The 3 2nd round picks are likely to be there, but I don't see why we'd want them.

TMass is a free agent. We can't trade him, unless it's sign and trade, and who's gonna sign him for well over the minimum?

We agree on Kandi. I think LAC would be willing to do a Kandi for Drew/KT trade, but this was brought up to me. Who's their center? They'd have to get Mihm somehow, and unless their pick is ahead of Chicago's, they won't.....and why would you draft Mihm at #1 over Martin?

This may or may not work but: Olowakandi+#1 (or 2 or 3) for Cato, KT, Drew, #9...basically Cato and the #9 moves up several spots, which I think is fair enough. They could possibly get Courtney Alexander or stretch for Morris Peterson there, which would fill out their lineup with Cato, KT, Odom, Alexander/Peterson, Drew. We'd get an exception out of that deal....works beautifully. I'm not sure if they'd do that or not, I see no big holes in it. Our lineup then becomes: Kandi, Swift/Martin, Williams, Anderson, Francis, with Hakeem and Mobley major pieces off the bench

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I think we take the best available player, unless there is a low post player who is very close to the best available.
    Reason I think this is because we have never been afraid to pull the trigger on big trades, so even if we took another SG (like Mo Pete) we could surely put a deal together to get a reliable PF or C.
    I would rather take what is available than to reach for a need.

------------------

8. Lewie221

Lewie221 Member

dermarr johnson is not a gaurd he is a sf...and anyways i think the top 10 would go like this:
    1.LAC.Martin
    2.Chi.Mihm
    3.Orl.Swift
    4.Van.Fizer
    5.Was.Dermarr Johnson
    6.Chi.Barkley
    7.NJ. Moiso
    8.Cle.Alexander
    9.Hou.Miller
    10.Orl.MoPete

------------------
    The Rockets Championship in 2001...Be-Steve-it

9. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Demarr Johnson is 100% a shooting guard. He has small forward size, but he has always played shooting guard and will be a shooting guard in the pros (unless a team decides to play him at SF simply because of his size). He wants to play SG, he is a SG.

Rockets should take the best SF or big man (PF or C) available. Moiso, Miller, Pryzbilla, Tsakilidis, Oyededji, etc. Whoever is the best player that plays one of those 3 positions should be a rocket.

------------------

10. Sherlock

Lewie:

Atlanta has the 5th pick <a href="http://www.sportstalk.com/nba/draft/tracker/">according to NBAtalk.com</a>, and the buzz in BBS groups is they are primarily interested in Mike Miller, Courtney Alexander or Etan Thomas.

Chicago has Washington's #6 pick, unless they get lucky with the ping pong balls and get one of the first 3 picks. Chicago fan BBS's have talked the most about getting Courtney Alexander, Miles, or Johnson at that #6 slot, if they get it.

------------------

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel SG and SF are pretty interchangeable, as long as they aren't undersized. Dermarr is a dead shooter....he COULD play SF the way Glen Rice does. Thinking about it, he'd work well with Shandon. Shandon would guard other team's SGs, but on offense play SF (posting up like he can), while Dermarr would guard SFs, and on offense be the SG.

If Atlanta drafts Thomas, I will be ECSTATIC!! I feel there are 10 good people in this draft, and he's not one of em. He's not a lotto pick, ESPECIALLY not top 5. That'd mean a better chance of Moiso, Johnson, Miller, etc. and a good chance of 2 of them being available.

Our nightmare would be to have Alexander the best available player, as we have no spot for him, and he's ready to contribute now.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!