1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If perjury was so horrible when Clinton did it...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GladiatoRowdy, Jun 1, 2005.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

1. Editorial: Reasonable Standards
    http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/388/standards.shtml

David Borden, Executive Director, borden@drcnet.org, 5/27/05

Kudos to US Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee for her "No More Tulias: Drug Law Enforcement Evidentiary Standards Improvement Act," introduced this week to protect the innocent from perjury, whether committed by informants or by police. I have long maintained that the word of police officers if uncorroborated by evidence should be considered insufficient for the purpose of obtaining criminal convictions against defendants. It's good to see some members of Congress recognizing this unfortunate reality and introducing legislation to start to deal with it.

One need not believe that "all cops are liars" or anything like that to take this view, and I don't believe that. There is no serious question, however, that a good number of police officers do perjure themselves from time to time but are rarely punished. Joseph McNamara, a former police chief in San Jose and Kansas City, has been speaking and writing on that topic for at least 10 years. At a conference in Santa Monica in 1995, McNamara wrapped up a speech saying "all kinds of police misconduct has occurred, the most serious which is the cops who think of themselves as being innocent good guys are routinely violating the Fourth Amendment, routinely committing perjury." McNamara reasoned based on the data that it must happen literally hundreds of thousands of times a year in drug cases alone.

The Tulia incarcerations -- or "lynchings" as I've likened them in previous editorials -- show that perjury is not limited to mere admissibility issues like search legality, but actually at times is used to frame innocent people. Even if the perjury were only known to have occurred with respect to the circumstances of a search, though, this would still fundamentally place an officer's credibility in question overall. And McNamara is by no means the only law enforcement observer to claim that police perjury happens frequently. Indeed, the practice is seen as so routine that it even has been given its own name -- "testi-lying" -- as reports such as that of New York City's Mollen Commission have revealed.

Again, this does not imply that all police officers commit felony perjury. (Yes, it's a felony.) But if it happens routinely, then absent corroborating evidence of officers' testimony, in my opinion there must be reasonable doubt -- it's an inescapable statistical conclusion. And since jurors faced with a situation of reasonable doubt have an obligation to acquit, what then is the purpose of the trial itself? How can the expense and trauma to a defendant of being criminally prosecuted be justified, when the evidence supplied by the government to a judge cannot even in theory suffice to meet the legal standard needed for a jury to properly convict? How can the risk that a jury will vote to convict despite there being reasonable doubt be ethically abided -- if a judge based on statistics and the nature of the evidence knows in advance that acquittal due to reasonable doubt is the correct and legally proper outcome?

Were I to sit on a jury, and were the only evidence against a defendant to consist of police officer's testimony, I would consider myself obligated to vote to acquit. Even if based on my instinct I believed that the officer was being truthful, that obligation would not change. Because there is a standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt before a jury should convict, and instinct by itself does not meet that standard. Proof means proof, and doubt is about facts, not feelings. (All of which means I am not likely to ever sit on a jury, of course -- when the DA reads about where I work the questions tend to get asked.)

If Rep. Jackson Lee's bill becomes law, it will be one step toward restoring ethics and morality to the system. Perhaps through fostering debate it will help the situation even if not. Though some in the meantime will doubtless attempt to smear Rep. Jackson Lee and her cosponsors as "anti-cop" or "pro-criminal," it's important to remember that many police officers are themselves aware of and concerned about these problems. Rep. Jackson Lee deserves congratulations for her realism about the problem and its logical ramifications.

Law or no law, the truth about drug war perjury will come out and will influence more and more juries throughout the nation. They will make it law -- even if Congress won't.

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Why is everyone so complacent about police officers all over the country lying on the stand regularly?

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

As I heard some comedian say once,

If we have Murder 1, Murder 2, Murder 3, Voluntary Manslaughter, Involuntary Manslaughter and whatever other kinds of legal distictions are made about murder, then lying about getting a blow job should be Perjury 9!!!! Why do we only have one level of lying? Lying about WMD and lying about a blow job certainly are on two different levels but only one resulted in impeachment. hmmmmm

Totally off topic but I thought I'd just throw that in there.

4. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

One was under oath, the other not. I guess that'd be the difference.

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I guess when GWB put his hand on Bible during Presidential Inauguration and spewed out such words as "I Do Solemnly Swear ...", he really didn't think he was under oath.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Since you brought up Bill...

He was just on Larry King for an extensive conversation, with CNN celebrating their 25th anniversary, bless 'em, and damn, he looked and sounded great. Totally at ease, and effortlessly talking about whatever the topic was. It gave me an epiphany, I guess.

I got the distinct impression that Hillary is running for President in '08.

I know there's been widespread speculation already, but I'd been really skeptical and very dubious about her chances. Watching Bill, and seeing what an enormous asset he'd be in a Presidential race that he really worked his butt off to win, like he did with his own two, I've come to a conclusion that I'm sure is obvious to a lot of you, but not me until now... it ain't just Hillary running for President. It's Hillary and Bill, and it will be made clear that you are getting two for the price of one. Oh, they'll be careful not to be blatant about it, but the message will be unmistakable. That puts an entirely different weight to a Hillary ticket. I'm very comfortable with Bill running the country for another 8 years, and I think it will be very close to being just that.

Groovy.

Keep D&D Civil!!

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is OUTRAGEOUS. If these cops are going to show up in court, the least they could do is sit up straight!

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

And one resulted in 1,600 American lives lost and counting. Yes, it was under oath and Clinton was stupid. Granted. But does the punishment fit the crime?

We have 20 classifications of murder but one for perjury?

So again, Perjury 9. Yes, he lied under oath about sex but given the ramifications of a sex scandal on national security, impeachment was a huge waste of taxpayers money. Is the country better off now?

Okay, I derailed the topic enought with this old news. Carry on.