1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If NFL is East-West and not AFC-NFC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by El Hijo de Odio, Jan 24, 2014.

1. El Hijo de Odio

It will never ever happen in everyone's lifetime but imagine if there's Western and Eastern conferences instead of AFC and NFC. It will also be easier to travel for visiting fans.

[​IMG]

Western Conference

Pacific Division
    San Francisco 49ers
    Oakland Raiders
    San Diego Chargers
    Arizona Cardinals

Northwest Division
    Seattle Seahawks
    Denver Broncos
    Minnesota Vikings
    Green Bay Packers

Southwest Division
    Houston Texans
    Dallas Cowboys
    New Orleans Saints
    Tennessee Titans

Midwest Division
    Kansas City Chiefs
    St. Louis Rams
    Chicago Bears
    Indianapolis Colts

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division
    New York Giants
    New York Jets
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Pittsburgh Steelers

Northeast Division
    New England Patriots
    Baltimore Ravens
    Washington Redskins
    Buffalo Bills

Southeast Division
    Miami Dolphins
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Atlanta Falcons

Central Division
    Detroit Lions
    Cleveland Browns
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Carolina Panthers

2 people like this.
  2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Why would anyone ever want to do this? It separates decades of rivalries all over the place. You would also lose the history behind the leagues. The AFL consisted of NFL rejects that did something that no league had ever done. It's a great story.

Can't think of why you would ever want to do this.

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I like it. But your divisions need some work. (was just looking at atlantic & northeast)

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Can't believe we're in January, and we're talking about summer time topics. How does it make it easier for traveling fans? The game is on a weekend. It's one time a week.

1 person likes this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

cant have Minnesota or GB in the "northwest" division.

Also, like stated above earlier, this would DESTROY a lot of rivalries.

6. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Silly idea. Who cares about "travel for visiting fans"? They make up like 2% of a typical NFL game's overall attendance.

The AFC-NFC is fine as it currently is. The game has already been f**ked with enough in recent years.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I do think divisions are perfect the way, they are, and there certainly are enough teams (32)...a league with 40 NFL teams is overkill, but ...

OP, I'm going to play devil's advocate against the general consensus that it makes no sense, destroying old rivalaries in the process. In real NFL economics and future plans, El Hijo de Odio's proposition is very rational and a bit likely. How so? If Goodell and *cough* the owners are serious about adding 2-4 new teams to the NFL, possibly 2-3 abroad. An Eastern-Western conference makes a very plausible realignment, while the divisions could still serve honorably as NFC and AFC. Though, I can see a great attempt at keeping the better rivals together. I'm guessing the London team would obviously fall into Atlantic (replacing Jacksonville or becoming 33rd or 34th NFL team).
    Although, some rivals may end up in different divisions, the league could still designate or mandate rivalry games in schedule, especially if they are serious about adding more regular season games. I guess you could have something, like this:

Division winners, 2nd-4th place team games: 3
    Divisional games: 6-8
    Rivalry games: 1-3 (should be added into playoff implications, especially tie-breaker scenarios). Example. Dallas and Washington Will still play, though only once year and alternate sites, each year.
    Inter-conference games with scheduled division: 4
    Miscellaneous: 0-2

Northeast is almost perfect, but you would have to move Philadelphia over to Northeast with Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Washington. 4 oldest NFL franchises who all have some history together. New England falls over to the Atlantic division, while the Bills would also move to Atlantic, especially if they are in Buffalo or Toronto. You also have 3 AFL teams in the same division, possibly: Bills, Jets, and Patriots

Atlantic Division:
    New York Giants
    New York Jets
    New England Patriots
    London (New NFL team)/Jaguars or Toronto-Buffalo Bills

Northeast Division:
    Washington Redskins
    Baltimore Ravens
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Philadelphia Eagles

Central division, I like, but I think you could replace Carolina and Cincinnati with Green Bay and Chicago. Still all in same georgraphical area.

Detroit Lions or Minnesota Vikings
    Cleveland Browns
    Green Bay Packers
    Chicago Bears

My odd team out of the division would be Minnesota, since they are a newest franchise and are simply an odd duck in the crowd. Remember, if we are talking old pre NFL-AFL merger team, the division makes alot of sense, as well.

The Southeast is where its a little more chaotic, because of Jacksonville in this scenario... I think I would go this route. Miami has to be in this to sort keep as many as the old Eastern AFL teams, together as possible (Atlantic Division). You'll notice outside of Miami, the other teams are much newer and historically weak franchises.

Southeast
    Miami Dolphins
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Carolina Panthers
    Jacksonville Jaguars or Cincinnati Bengals

The Midwest, sounds more appropriate, as the Mid-South division is basically a newer version of the old NFC West, except no San Francisco, who was always stuck in a division of doormats, along with Carolina who really is just a stock team in NFC West/NFC South. Though, over the years, the rivals between other teams were actually entertaining, especially Saints and Falcons, also Saints and Rams.

Midwest Division
    Atlanta Falcons
    New Orleans Saints
    Tennessee Titans
    St. Louis (Los Angeles) Rams

The "real" Midwest division, though Kansas City is the wild card, I'll show in a second.
    Kansas City Chiefs*, Cincinnati Bengals, or Mexico City/Portland/Mid-US team (New Team)
    Indianapolis Colts
    Minnesota Vikings
    Denver Broncos

Southwest Division
    Dallas Cowboys
    Houston Texans
    Arizona Cardinals
    Kansas City Chiefs or Mexico City/Portland/Mid-US team (New Team)

Pacific is near perfect, but it's hard to tell if an LA team comes into the equation. On the same token, if the LA teams ends up being the Raiders, it works out fine. Though, I would move Arizona out of division back towards the southwest, because Seattle makes more sense being on the coast with other coastal teams whom they also have a good history with.

Pacific Division

Seattle Seahawks
    San Francisco 49ers
    Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
    San Diego Chargers

And for everyone who thinks the concept is silly and far-fetched take a look at the divisions over the years.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1922/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1931/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1942/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1957/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1966/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1966_AFL/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1970/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1981/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1995/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1999/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2002/

If the league adds 3 or more teams, realignment is very likely, especially if teams overseas or across borders are added. Why

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

As I said earlier, if the NFL adds four new teams over the next decade, and two of them are London and Mexico City, it would almost make sense to move teams, like Dallas, Houston, St. Louis, Arizona, or New Orleans to a Southwest-type division. You'd also have to figure that a team in London in some form or fashion is going to have to be in NFC East/Atlantic division/AFC East. It wouldn't make sense to throw a team in London in a central or midwest division, when it's already an insane travel as it is with the teams on the Eastern seaboard.

9. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I wouldn't mind if the Divisions changed the teams and kept geographic rivalries.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

If there was a as-straight-as-can-be line drawn from the Minny-ND border down to the TX-LA border, you'd see that there is only 9 teams in the western side of the U.S.

HOW are there not more teams in the west?

There might not be that many fans in NV and UT, but I'm sure states like Nebraska and Oklahoma would love an NFL team.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

To separate Dallas from NYG, Wash, and Philly is as dumb as tossing 50 years of NL history aside to create a geographic "rivalry."

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nebraska would also like a third law school, a third med school, or buildings over 3 stories west of Lincoln.

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

you cant destroy the Green Bay-Chicago rivalry, that would be ridiculous.

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

If it was east west, texans still suck!