1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If it had been Battier for Haddidi & Draft Pick instead of Thabeet & Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Liberon, May 13, 2011.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I don't know about you guys but Haddidi playing alongside Hayes while gaining an edge by playing against him in practice would probably have helped. The guy clearly can somewhat contribute and had playoff minutes. He's more than ready to contribute and would have helped against tall teams like the Kings and Sixers that help put away our PlayOff hopes.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Liberon are you Iranian by chance?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He's better than Thabeet but that is saying absolutely nothing.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Haddidi has zero ceiling. Thabeet has a chance to do something and has better tools than him.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

No and why would you factor that? Did you see the Memphis/San Antonio series or the limited action Haddidi had the ability to contribute in his limited action. On our team a guy like that with some Chuck Haye's lovin would be competent enough to start. How long has it been that we even had a 7'2 guy that could substantially contribute? Hasheem Thabeet is at least another 2-3 years from where Haddidi is right now. Factor that bro.

6. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Why would they trade their young backup C AND a pick for an old/expiring 3rd string SF?

Think of Thabeet as payment for getting a draft pick and think of Battier as mainly being included for salary purposes. It's basically a smaller version of the Baron Davis for Mo Williams deal, the Rockets bought a pick for the cost of Thabeet's contract. For this reason I can pretty much guarantee his option will not be picked up.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Maybe but it might never materialize. Haddidi could have at least made it interesting and the guy is pretty young too just turned 26 I believe.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I would have far preferred we worked out Battier for Perkins.

The Thabeet deal was horrendous. I'm pretty sure they could have bought a non-lottery draft pick for less than the $5M we'll be wasting next season.

Maybe the lockout will kill next year, and we get out of his contract that way. That'd be nice.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's been 2 seasons, when Yao and Mutombo were playing.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Im just really desperate for a big. We have Chuck Hayes and Patterson, now just imagine a much taller guy that just needs to learn a thing or 2 about the post game. He would be blocking up high and getting amazing putbacks while Chuck helps seal the paint by blocking out and doing his thing. We definitely would have made the playoffs with a competent big. Aaron Gray, Haddidi, insert some more. We have a stingy owner and questionable GM that could not get that big that mediocrity teams much poorer or under the same financial constraints could do. Hornets,Bulls, etc.. They were much better than us prior to last summer.

11. ashishduh

5 mil is chump change unless you're talking about the cap. And if so, who cares about the cap this season? Not only are there no good FAs this year but we don't even know what the new CBA holds. For all we know, if we had let Battier expire we might still be basically capped.

I'm sure they'll do the smart thing and decline all the options on our 3 garbage 2009 lotto picks and we'll be swimming in cap space for 2012.

12. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

What if Memphis didn't want to give him up? What if they saw he could contribute a little bit and maybe more after a year or so?

It's not as easy as just saying we should have gotten 'this' player instead of 'that' player in the trade. Teams know what kind of tlent they have and what they want to keep. I see that all the time on this board. Keep it realistic. We are not the only people that watch the players play and can see if they have talent.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

We are the only team in mediocrity that has a much richer owner yet can't acquire a 7fter that can contribute substantially. We fail to do it season after season. Anybody would be something. You don't notice this awful trend?

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I have no idea why one benchwarmer big is so much better than the other benchwarmer big, especially when the second benchwarmer big has a much higher potential than the first one. I mean, we get Haddadi. Then what? You really think that's going to change anything, or that playing Haddadi or Aaron Gray over Hayes is what's going to get us into the playoffs? Get real.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Play over Hayes? Can you read? I clearly mention that it would be alongside Hayes. Hayes would be moved to the 4.

16. ashishduh

You should go look up the phrase "season after season".

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Your notion that Haddidi could "contribute substantially" is flawed. At 26, he won't get any better. If the Rockets want to improve, they need to acquire non-scrub players.

18. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

And Scola? Don't tell me that you're not going to play Scola because he's an iffy defender. As the Grizzlies can tell you right now, having an offense in the post is pretty important, and a Hayes-Haddadi frontcourt would be hilarious offensively.

I am really, really tired of people forgetting about Scola just because he's a bit old and isn't flashy. He's the first great PF we had in a long, long time, and is a worker, and people seriously want to start Hayes over him. It's ridiculous.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You can't be serious. Why would the Rockets move Chuck to PF to play along with a non-talented C? They would have absolute zero for an inside offense. Chuck can only play PF next to a scoring C (like Yao). We have PFs like Patterson and Scola on the roster, rememeber?

The day the Rockets play Haddidi at C and waste Hayes at PF will be the day they start tanking for the #1 pick.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

As quick as he is with his hands and feet, you don't think Chuck could be the starting enforcing defensive 3 ala a Ron Artest but better? Martin is such an efficient 2 we don't need much scoring from the 3.

Haddidi/Gray - 5
    Scola - 4
    Hayes - 3
    Martin - 2
    Lowry - 1

We are in the PlayOffs.