1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If healthy can the Rockets win a 7-game series with the Warriors as currently constructed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jan 30, 2018.

?

Can we beat GS in 7-game series as currently constructed?

1. Yes, definitely

2. Probably yes

3. Probably no

4. Definitely no

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

the rockets seem to be constructed to out Warrior the Warriors... volume 3's... problem is they are better at it... I'm not sure how you beat the Warriors 4 times in seven games...

FanSince93, D-rock and Jontro like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

The same way the Rockets beat them 2 out of 3 times this year.

The team that wins will be the one that makes the fewest mistakes and is the most healthy. The Warriors will be viewed as favorites (and should be) but right now they are making more mistakes than the Rockets. The Warriors are sloppy with the basketball, inconsistent defensively and have questionable shot selection. That will have to improve in the playoffs.

I think the Warriors win the series in 7 but the games have to be played.

BigMaloe, D-rock and YOLO like this.
  3. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

I wouldn't count the Rockets out even if the Warriors are healthy. I don't think the Warriors need to be injured for the Rockets to have better then 50/50 odds of beating the Warriors.

If we are healthy and playing our game, then I would give us an honest flip of the coin against the Warriors.

Defensively, I think we match us well against the Warriors. Trevor Ariva and Luc Mbah A Moute at the small forward positions can do as good job as anyone of checking Kevin Durant and keep him from going off. Chris Paul at point guard can do as good job as anyone of keeping Steph Curry from going off.

Draymond Green, who is their power forward and generally guards the opposing teams best player would probably guard Harden. With the way Harden has been playing, I don't even think Draymond Green could guard Harden.

If the Warriors switched off of Ryan Anderson to double team Harden, this would, -in theory leave either Trevor Ariza or whoever was playing at the power forward position for the Rockets open. If Ryan is hitting his shots, I think we are golden.

D'Antoni would need to make quick changes to the rotation if any of the guys are not shooting well or are off of their game. This would include moving Trevor to Power Forward as well as playing Gerald Green and Luc Mbah A Moute more minutes if Ryan Anderson's shot is off.

D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

While what you say about the 1994-95 Rockets is true you overlook two key points:

First, the 1994-95 Rockets were the defending NBA Champions. That was a battle-tested, mentally tough team led by Hakeem, Clyde and Rudy T that not only understood what it took to win a championship but to a man was filled with the determination to do so again. That's what the "Heart Of A Champion" was all about.

Second, the primary reason they were a 6th seed was due to the big trade for Drexler that was made during the season. Otis Thorpe, Marcelo Nicola and a 1995 1st rounder were traded in Feb to Portland for Clyde Drexler and Tracy Murray. It took a bit of time for the team to adjust hence the drop in the standings to 6th in the West. They were 6th in the West and the underdog in each series yet managed to compile the following playoff record:

Round 1 - Won series against Utah 3-2
    Round 2 - Won series against Phoenix 4-3
    WCF - Won series against SA 4-2
    NBA Finals - Sweep Orlando 4-0

No matter how you slice it, that was pretty damn impressive.

Now as talented and entertaining as this year's team is, it is simply not on the same level with that Rockets' team. While this year's team is much more prolific on offense due to the different type of game being played today, it is a far cry from the hard nosed, defensive team anchored by Hakeem who was surrounded by veteran players like Kenny, Ellie, Drexler and Horry, Of course, it was a different era of NBA basketball back then but that was a proven team in the playoffs. That's something that can not be said for the current incarnation of the Rockets - at least not yet. We'll just have to wait and see what happens come playoff time.

5. basketballholic

It took a midseason trade for Clyde to vault the that team back into contender status. They were circling the drain. And their record was already established. That was a team that significantly underperformed the first half the season because of the issues with mad max. They were much better than a normal 6th seed as defending champions.

#85 basketballholic, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  6. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Fair points, I'm just going by probable Vegas odds for a 6th seed team to win 4 series on the road against "better" opposition. That team was legendary and an outlier in many respects.

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The most realistic way to beat the Warriors is to attract LeBron James in the offseason. And the most realistic way to do that is to take the Warriors to 6 or 7 in the WCF. From there, his role writes itself.

D-rock likes this.
  8. basketballholic

So no moves are possible this season to put us over the top?

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not sure there are. I think the Rockets best bet is having a GSW key player get injured. Sad to say that. It is 4 all stars to 2 all stars.

Need more all stars! ;-)

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Rockets can beat GS, but not GS+Refs.

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

It’s not about moves this year that makes us better in order to win.

It’s about out executing them this year in order to beat them.

We are playing a numbers game, in which they are better at us then but don’t exploit to the extreme that we do.

So we extract every bit of value by by out executing them with number crunching.

That’s just offensive philosophy that helps narrow the gap.

Also what we have done is focus strongly on defensive rebounding. Another numbers crunching tactic to limit those nasty 2nd chance points, which against a team like gsw, is deadly.

We lead the league in dreb% which helps narrow that gap.

We cannot make a trade to match their talent for talent. Short of lebron, kawhi, giannis we just can’t make a trade that levels that playing field.

We have to out execute, play harder and hopefully get hotter than they do.

It’s pretty much that simple because it’s our only option really.

marky :) and Houstunna like this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

I’m keeping my money in my pockets, I’m not betting on this series.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You rang....

[​IMG]

Deuce likes this.
  14. basketballholic

Coach McHale?

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I think if all HEALTHY the Rockets win the series. They will be playing loose; playing with the proverbial "house's money". I think the Rockets are hungrier and more motivated now and yes, even in the playoffs compared to GSW.

As soon as things don't go the way the Warriors expect, they will play tight and make mistakes. Yes they will go on runs and may even have one of their wins via blowout but in the end I believe the Rockets win the series and LBJ pulls a Durant and joins us next year. No - I'm not smoking anything and no, I don't need to start smoking anything.

#True Belief

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Anderson for Zeller and Marvin Williams diversifies the front court. Bring in Bogut.

Capela/Zeller/Bogut
    Prince/William or Tucker

I think that could create some issues for the Warriors. Zeller should be in form by the playoffs.

justtxyank and basketballholic like this.
  17. solid

solid Contributing Member

If healthy and hitting on all cylinders, yes they CAN. Will they? It is unlikely but possible. GS will crank it up in the playoffs. They have the experience of playoff success. Both Harden and Paul have a dismal playoff history.

18. basketballholic

Love the deal. Can't see Charlotte doing it without a first.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Define "put us over the top."

Are you saying "make us the favorite?" "Improve our odds but still underdogs?" "Make us 50/50?"

If you mean "make us the favorite" then no, I don't believe there is a possible move this season (that's realistic) that would put us over the top.

heypartner and BigMaloe like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Who wouldn't love that?

Why is Charlotte doing it though?