1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Bolton testimony is blocked, our democracy has ended.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Jayzers_100, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

immunity is waived ... based on some random tweet?

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

TESTIFY!

3. Space Ghost

Vote him out of office. Nothing strikes more fear in a politician than being voted out of office. And its a hell of a lot easier.

Impeachment doesnt mean a damn thing if the Senate is not going to remove him. All this is doing is emboldening him. And if he wins again, it only emboldens him.

This generation of Democrats are extremely short sighted.

B@ffled likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

come on. This lizard-brained narcissist can be “emboldened”? If anything emboldens a bully it’s rolling over to them.

Either way: You cannot give up your constitutional responsibilities because it could affect voters or the president’s already wacky emotional state. You can say they did a bad job, but the Dems would have been truly spineless and really immoral not to try to pursue such obvious abuses. If ANY GOP reps had the guts to stand up to the bully and argue for censure, I would have preferred that path. Doing nothing was not an option, IMO.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hard to say it's privileged information if he tweets it in a highly public manner. And I believe tweets are considered official communication.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

Or, ignoring what you believe are abuse of power and obstruction establish precedents for the current or future presidents.

7. Space Ghost

The crux of my issue is the joke we are calling Democrat Primaries. There are qualified candidates in the mix. Why are the biggest clowns floating to the top? Focus on the primaries and put this impeachment nonsense second.

I have always felt Trump set out to be impeached. With an established party behind his back, he can do something 'technically' illegal but in the eyes of his supporters, they wont find it serious enough to remove him from office. Would you send a criminal to trial if the jury stated up front they werent going to find him guilty for said crime? It would be ludicrous. You wont get to retry him. This reminds me of the Clinton debacle.

Im not suggesting Trump should be allowed to do whatever he wants. But the fact remains he has been out maneuvering his opponents for 4 years now. How is he even remotely favored to win re-election at this point? And thats against a stack of democrats in the primaries.

8. Space Ghost

Please quote me where I have ever suggested that.

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

The law provides that one cannot use privilege as a sword and a shield. In other words, one cannot go on the offensive with a statement or information (a sword), and then assert privilege as a shield to prevent testimony (or discovery of testimony) that contradicts or is relevant to the original statement.

So, other than well established legal precedent, yeah this is totally ridiculous

And by the way, immunity, an entirely different concept that is not at issue.

Edit: I'll add that straight up waiver of privilege is based on the idea that the holder of the privilege cannot act in a way that is inconsistent with the expectation of confidentiality. Waiver can be a more difficult argument. Offensive use on the other hand is more straightforward.

JuanValdez and AleksandarN like this.
  10. Rileydog

See above. Any questions?

11. Space Ghost

The point being, its for the courts to decide this, not random tweets or message board posts.

12. Rileydog

nobody said it was for a tweet to decide or message board posts. You said it was ridiculous for someone to state that Trump could waive immunity (really privilege) by tweeting something.

It was not ridiculous. It is well grounded in established law. That was and is the point. Hot takes in support of the Tweeter in chief are just as well thought out as his tweets and equally ungrounded.

AleksandarN, RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  13. Rileydog

And the person's tweet that you quoted, I suppose you didn't bother to look her up to see that she is a former prosecutor and lecturer at Columbia Law School, one of the top 10 law schools in the country. I didn't know but I figured, so I actually looked at her profile.

Or you did and you just reflexively defend the twit in chief without concern for whether you're saying baseless things.

AleksandarN likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

Apologies if I misconstrued your point. Seemed you were suggesting Democrats shouldn't have pursued impeachment, that instead they should have focused on 2020.

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Bolton used to be public enemy #2 'round here.

Been saying this for weeks. What took you so long?

16. NewRoxFan

You want trump testifying? Because that's where I have always been...

AleksandarN likes this.
  17. Rileydog

on what planet is that ever going to happen?

Seriously, what confluence of events would have to happen in order for Trump to testify

18. NewRoxFan

Not saying it will. trump is a coward and crook, he would never testify. But if Biden would be called to testify, trump should as well.

19. NewRoxFan

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i dont trust bolton at all. he is just as likely to yank the rug out from under the democrats as he is to incriminate trump, who is actually doing more to further his policies towards iran than any other president has.

i want to hear from all witnesses, but i would be very careful about hanging it all on a scumbag like bolton. like you said, theres usually a strategy with him.

jiggyfly, AleksandarN, B-Bob and 2 others like this.