1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identity Theft

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pirc1, Nov 7, 2023.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Someone stole my identity and tried to open bank accounts and credit cards under my name. So far none have succeeded. I have put fraud alert and credit freeze on my credit as well as signed up for the complete protection plan from Equifax(19.95 per month, I plan to use this at least for while). How long will this crap last? For the rest of my life? I am so angry with these people who steal identities.

ramotadab and tinman like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Same happened to me with a chime credit card and another credit card. I put everything on freeze as well.

3. pirc1

How long ago was that? It will be a forever thing?

tinman likes this.
  4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I've never had an identity theft but I keep all of my credit locked at all times. It's a good thing to do even if you aren't a victim of identity theft.
    Also one other thing you'll want to do is monitor your taxes. Thieves will file taxes under your name to claim fake tax refunds. Basically when you file next year, its possible that your return will get rejected because it gets flagged as a duplicate return (which would happen if someone illegally filed in your name). The IRS has a procedure for this so you should be fine. But just be on the lookout for that going forward.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I keep it frozen until I want to take out a loan or need a credit check from a legit firm.

tinman likes this.
  6. pirc1

Thank you for the information.

tinman likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bro
    It ain’t your fault . Lots of companies are getting hit by this, just have your credit locked all the time and quickly unfreeze it when you buy a house or car etc

also screen your calls or don’t answer anyone you don’t know

9. pirc1

Thanks for the tip.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Also a preemptive - thanks for the contribution