1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ideal position duties

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by B, Oct 17, 2001.

1. B

B Contributing Member

This is a purely theoretical topic, but if you had to mold the duties of each position in a traditional fashion, how would you distribute the tasks? Here is what I'm thinking so far, but I'm running into problems with shooting guard. I'm only looking at quanitifible duties that are measured in a box score, so bringing the ball up the court well doesn't help, but something like low turnovers or high assists helps.

1 to 5 ranking system of the importance of the stat to the position.

PG
    Points - 3
    FGA - 2
    FG% - 2
    3PA - 3
    3P% - 3
    FTA - 2
    FT% - 4
    OReb- 1
    TReb - 1
    Ast - 5
    (TO - 2) - 5 (For a total of 7) (Allow a PG bonus points for 0 or 1 TO)
    Steals - 5
    Blocks - 1
    Total - 39

SG
    Points - 4
    FGA - 3
    FG% - 3
    3PA - 4
    3P% - 4
    FTA - 3
    FT% - 5
    OReb- 1
    TReb - 2
    Ast - 3
    TO - 4
    Steals - 4
    Blocks - 2
    Total - 42

SF
    Points - 3
    FGA - 3
    FG% - 3
    3PA - 3
    3P% - 3
    FTA - 3
    FT% - 3
    OReb- 3
    TReb - 3
    Ast - 3
    TO - 3
    Steals - 3
    Blocks - 3
    Total - 39

PF
    Points - 3
    FGA - 3
    FG% - 4
    3PA - 2
    3P% - 2
    FTA - 4
    FT% - 2
    OReb- 4
    TReb - 4
    Ast - 2
    TO - 3
    Steals - 2
    Blocks - 4
    Total - 39

C
    Points - 3
    FGA - 3
    FG% - 5
    3PA - 1
    3P% - 1
    FTA - 5
    FT% - 1
    OReb- 5
    TReb - 5
    Ast - 1
    TO - 3
    Steals - 1
    Blocks - 5
    Total - 39

I'm not concerned about players being versatile, since if each player does his job, versatility is not as important. Does anyone have ideas on how to touch up the numbers a little bit? Points and FGA seem to be the area I'm having the most difficulty determining how to distribute the rankings. I started another thread similar to this in the hangout area, but I want to shy away from the formula until I can figure out what the importance of each stat is to each position. SG is also a position that is giving me the most problems. I want each position to have an equal total, but I can't figure out a good way to tweak it.

Thanks for any input/advice.

Bthread