1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Idea for Help for Small Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stevel, Oct 30, 2004.

1. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

***Caution***

This is a trade thread. If you don't like trade threads, please stop reading now. Save yourself the aggravation and go back to the board and read the JVG can't run an offense threads or I love Boki threads.

I would love to see if Seattle would swap R.Lewis for MoT and a future first. Seattle has no one that can score on the low block, plus they have a bunch of outside shooters to create room to move near the basket. Howard and MoT are redundant players, and we need outside shooting to create room to move under the basket.

I think this trade can help both teams. MoT has a bad contract as does R Lewis, but MoT's is 2 years shorter. I really think this trade could benefit both teams. Plus, this kid needs to be playing here.

I would then like to swap the trade exception for either a 4 or a PG, probably a 4 in the Joe Smith mold (decent scorer and rebounder with some defensive abilities)

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'd do it in a second.

Or, even better, how about this:

Houston trades: PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 27.8 minutes)
    SG Reece Gaines (1.8 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 9.6 minutes)
    Houston receives: SF Rashard Lewis (17.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.2 apg in 36.6 minutes)
    PG Antonio Daniels (8.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 4.2 apg in 21.3 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +12.5 ppg, +2.4 rpg, and +3.9 apg.

Seattle trades: SF Rashard Lewis (17.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.2 apg in 36.6 minutes)
    PG Antonio Daniels (8.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 4.2 apg in 21.3 minutes)
    Seattle receives: PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 75 games)
    SG Reece Gaines (1.8 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 38 games)
    Change in team outlook: -12.5 ppg, -2.4 rpg, and -3.9 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and Seattle being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Seattle had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

One might say that Lewis has more upside than Taylor, but I'm not so sure that Seattle still believes in Lewis, plus they have Radmanovich, and Lewis has a nagging injury and a longer contract.

From the preseason, it looks like Daniels is relegated to the bench - might be unhappy...

If they get a first-round pick with it, perhaps they would bite? :)

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

People don't get upset about trade threads, they get upset at ridiculous trade threads.

Now, why would the Sonics trade their 2nd best player for Taylor and an out of the lottery first rounder? How does losing Lewis and adding Taylor make them better? If they trade Lewis, it will be for a PF who can score and rebound. In the meantime, they still need to give Collison a chance and Radmanovic plays both forward positions.

Oh, and if it's a salary cap move, maybe. I still think they'd go for a guy with one year though.

4. artificial

artificial Member

If the Sonics had another bad season, anybody could be traded. The owner might just rip the team apart and rebuidl. Hey the Magic traded TMac.

5. Oski2005

Yeah, if they want to rebuild, they could do that. The Magic didn't trade T-Mac because they had a bad season, T-Mac wanted out and they had no choice since he could opt out of his contract. It's a different situation.

6. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

If we need help at small forward, we could always pick up Eddie Robinson, who just reached an agreement on a buyout with the Bulls. Not sure if he would be a fit with JVG though.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

The sonics already have 3 decent guys they can platoon at pf with Radman, Fortson, and collison. They don't need Mo, especially at his price.

Btw, shard has a lingering injury going into the season once again. Shard is the type of sf I'd lilke to add to the Yao/Tmac nucleus, but it just ain't happening.

8. artificial

artificial Member

So you don't think Weisbord would have never thought about trading him if TMac hadn't asked for a trade?

9. artificial

artificial Member

I think Eddie might have some other issues that were so serious that the Bulls bought out his contract.

10. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Yea, I've read that he can pretty lazy and often "injured". I don't thing the Rockets want to touch him with a 10 ft. pole, especially after the whole Eddie Griffin fiasco, but I was just throwing a name out there.

11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Unless R. Lewis becomes *unhappy* in Seattle. :) That could help things. Come home, Lewis!

12. Oski2005

Not after ONE bad season.

13. Oski2005

It could, but I don't think Lewis has an opt out clause, so he can't force anybody's hand without looking like a baby, ie threaten to sit out.

14. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Oski2005, what FA or trade small fowards WOULD be possible?

Just wondering...

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we trade for any player they are going to have to be able to defend or have the potential to be a good defender. I dont know if Rashard fits that, a good shooter that can defend the perimeter. Van Gundy has got to get his defense.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'm not Oski2005, but here are some guys that interest me:

Kendall Gill
    Vincent Yarbrough
    Ira Newble
    Jumaine Jones

EDIT: Also, Howard Eisley was just cut. I want him for the vets' minimum. Good shooter, doesn't turn the ball over. Ex-Knick.

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Seattle might want a little lube along with Taylor and Gaines because they are getting screwed hard in that deal.

18. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I've actually been thinking about Rashard; he would be an ideal fit at SF as a third option if he can learn to become an effective team defender.

Seattle's in cost-cutting mode. The only way I think we could get Rashard is if we could use the TE in a package of expiring contracts that would free the Sonics of Lewis' salary. If Mo T had one year left, it could work. Or if we could package Mo T with the TE for Rashard and Fortson.

I think our most realistic shot at Rashard is in five years when he's a free agent. If we're a contender at that point, he might be willing to sign for less.

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I know Rashard is a good option but look at the team we have. Do you think he will work well as a 3rd option for scoring on this team? Do you think he will want to be part of the offense a little more than we have to offer him in the current scheme we are in.

If he doesnt mind being that spot up shooter that we expect out of JJ and others than that's fine. But if he is going to be upset with not getting enough touches between Yao and T-Mac then it might not work.

20. Oski2005

If I knew that, I'd start a thread myself. Eddie Robinson's contract just got bought out though, he'd be a nice option to platoon with JJ. His worth is down too, so it's not like we'd have to committ a long term contract to him.