1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I prefer This Less Efficient Harden to the Old One

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jevjnd, Nov 13, 2014.

?

Which Harden do you prefer?

1. I'm okay with lower field goal percentage Harden.

82 vote(s)
    79.6%
  2. We need to preserve Harden on the defensive end.

21 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

It's not just that he's playing defense more though it's true that paying both ends of the court is more taxing than playing one side of the court only.

He's also our primary ballhandler/facilitator on offense, especially with no Bev or Lin. His turnovers have always been high due to his style of play. Often times he drives, creates contact and no call is made resulting in a turnover. But we live with it because he gets the call more often than not. Now that he looks to create for others as well as himself and he has the ball that much more, his turnovers are that much higher.

He's also more committed to crashing the boards rather than letting his guy blow by him and getting back on offense. Again, this takes effort and energy.

Basically, rather than playing one-dimensional, he's becoming a more all around player, so yeah I agree with the OP. I think as his conditioning improves he will get even better throughout the season.

2. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

I dont think he's been turning the ball over that much this season.

3. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

7-1...enough said.

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

Just the eyeball test (haven't seen any numbers on this), but it also seems like he has been doing a much better job of getting his teammates involved and creating offense. Something that he was always pretty good at, but it's been even better this year. Maybe because we have better shooters? Maybe because he is running the point more? I'm not sure.

His shot has been a little bit off. That will pick up again. But in the meantime, he is still making such a huge impact on the game with his improved defense and playmaking while still playing good, even if below-Harden level FG%, offense.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Your posting is more inefficient than either of them.

6. Pete the Cheat

he is getting good looks that aren't falling...that will even out in time. everything just looks to be coming easier this year.

he is making good decisions and not forcing the issue hero-ball style...which probably has as much to do with the improved shooters around him as it does with his maturation this off-season.

7. Centerville

Centerville Member

I'm not ready to declare that he's a different player after eight games. I also don't understand the response options in the poll. They seem to be a choice between "You agree with me" and "I'm not wrong." :)

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It looks like Harden is ice cold from behind the arc and on the right side of the court. Might be tired legs from a long summer. I wouldn't be surprised if this trend plagues him throughout the year. Hopefully he can come out of the all-star break rejuvenated. It's not easy playing all summer then having to be on the floor 38+mpg.

No legitimate backup wing yet, really?

I'm not sure which Harden I prefer to be honest. As long as it isn't the playoff Harden I'm fine.

9. bmd

bmd Member

It's his 3-point shooting that's been terrible. Even open shots.

I love his improved effort on the defensive end, but he's still gotta shoot the 3 better.

I don't K own if it's tired legs or if he's just slumping...

10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Clutchfans is way overreating to his FG% this year. He always shoots less efficent early on in the season. Also his % wont be as high as we are use to with him using more energy on D

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Except Parsons does nothing else besides shoot, can't get to the line, create, distribute or defend. Hell he can't even rebound as good as Harden and he's got half a foot on him.

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I don't think his low percentage is due to his defense... I just think he's missing some shots... No big deal, he'll start to make them.

13. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

It seems like he's taking more 3's and getting to the rim less. Which may save him some wear and tear in the long run, but when the games matter I'd like to see him attacking more. Right now it also seems that Ariza and Howard are more than making up for his inefficient shooting. If Ariza slumps then the problem will become more pronounced.

14. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I think you understood them perfectly ;).

15. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I completely agree with this. I'm still okay with it, though. I think that this summer did him a lot of good and I'm content with him giving it everything he has out there. Up to this point in time, I believe that Harden has done that.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

His shooting is way down but his PER is up. I'll take it.

17. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

It's a typical and healthy response to making positive changes to take a few steps back in the short term as a precursor to coming back stronger. I see this as kind of a growing pain phase for Harden, as he grows into a role of becoming a more complete player.

Hakeem Olajuwon didn't come into the league as a quadruple threat calming presence - he had to develop his passing game and find Islam to help calm his temperament and gain perspective on life and the game. He spent years working with Carroll Dawson and others to develop his signature offensive moves.

Harden is making great strides. I think the loss to the TrailBlazers and the flak he took over the off-season was a wake-up call for him.

I love, love, love his focus and intensity and his apparently sincere desire to get his teammates involved and to step up his game on both sides of the court.

I really think he's legitimately poised for an MVP season.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Actually he shot 45% in the first month last year. His worst shooting month was the last month heading into the playoffs, which we all know continued there.

it's only a handful of games so it's not really concerning yet. But this trend did continue during the World Cup games, and onto the regular season.

Let's hope he snaps out of it soon.

I think it's all about shot selection.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He's not defending the best opposing offensive player. He might be expending more energy defensively this year, but he's not asked to shut a guy down.

It's really poor shot selection. He's taking 7 3s a game, and when you have poor shooting games, you shouldn't continue jacking up 3s. He needs to start diversifying his games if his perimeter J isn't going in like post up, cuts...

Again, not crucial now b/c we're not even done with the first month. But in the playoffs, if he has another series like he did v. the Blazers, gotta start doing something different offensively.

20. FeaR

FeaR Member

It isn't shot selection, a lot of his shots went in and out. I am not concerned. He is playing great.