1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Owe Iverson An Apology

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Almu, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Man. God. If anyone is eating crow, its me.

I was all over this guy a couple of years ago. I called him a thug. I got on him for coming late for practice. I called him heartless, gutless, streethoodlum turned basketball player punk.

And now, I must apologize.

You can't say enough about Iversons heart. He went scoreless for so long. And then, broke out and scored the big points late.

Officially, I am on the Iverson bandwagon. Next to Francis, he is now my favorite player. He is the type of guy to root for because the man leaves it all on the floor. Despite the fact that I think he needs to chill or he will be rather old at 30, he is just a true, true, true warrior. I actually think he would play in a wheelchair if it came to that.

GO SIXERS!!!

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Right on. The Sixers are now officially my second team. Not just for this season, for EVER!!!

They're screwed....

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

It's back...

Protrolls.com!

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

That play in overtime that saw Lue in Iverson's face, Iverson cross over, step back, cooly drain the jumper, look up at the city of Los Angelos and back down at Lue was one of the greatest plays I've ever witnessed.

GO SIXERS

(BTW: Verse, grit and defense always beats a high-powered offense (Bucks-Sixers). Told ya [​IMG]. Don't doubt Iverson, man.)

------------------
    how could you not want c-webb?

4. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I think Mutombo won that game for them. If they still had Ratliff, O'Neal would of scored atleast 10 more points en route to fouling Geiger and Ratliff out.

I'm a Georgetown fan, so I'm with the Sixers all the way, but I still don't think they will win the series.

------------------

5. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

EVEN IF THEY LOSE, I still have to back off from what I said on Iverson.

If they lose, he will go out on his shield.

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Pretty classy of you Almu! Now if we can only get you to do the same about Cuttino! [​IMG]

------------------
    "I'm not here to protect my reputation, I'm here to make my reputation! Mama Barkley didn't raise no chumps!" - Charles Barkley

7. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I gotta apologize to him too. I was on him in the past too. I used to make up excuses about how he was just good because he shot so much, but I was wrong. I don't care how many times he misses, he is so damn clutch when it counts. He doesn't get fazed when he misses like some players do.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited June 06, 2001).]

8. pooh222

pooh222 Member

I've referred to Iverson as a thug too, which he is, but he's a thug who can play his ass off. He is the Sixers. Without him, they suck. He's goin to have to average about 45 to 50 points for the Sixers to win this series.

------------------

9. Steve_Francis_rules

I've always thought Iverson was a good player, although I was getting on him a lot because he frustrated me during the series against the Bucks.

------------------

10. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

RocksMillenium,

We gotta see Mobley do those thing Iverson does. Also, Iverson is the main option, the only option and that is why he shoots whenever, wherever.

The problem with Cat is that he ISN'T the main scorer, nor the best player. He just thinks he is and sometimes that gets him in trouble.

If he shoots less/makes better shot selections, I will do the same for Mobley. He kinda grew on me towards the end. But, I await for more reason to admit that I am an idiot! I don't admit that for just anything, you know? [​IMG]

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, this may be true in the long run... but certainly Mutombo could have done a better job winning the game for them by making at least one of those two free throws towards regulation's end. [​IMG]

------------------
    CC.NET Sim League Web Page
    My Team (Sonics)

Running, Raving, Exiting, Out.

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Almu-
    I definetely agree with you! I thought (until last years playofss) that AI was a major cancer.
    I will honestly say I thought LA would sweep the finals but AI played his heart out in the 1st game.
    Especially when you consider he is 6' and 165-175 pounds and seeing him through around his body like that!
    AI ha had my respect since last years playoffs but I never expected the to win a game! Dand I'm wrong!

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

right there with ya, almu.

for all the "kobe this" and "vince that" talk, if there has to be a "next jordan," it's iverson.

the nba was too caught up in finding someone who looked, played and acted like mike. but on the court, between the lines, (where it counts, btw) iverson's the closest thing i've seen. (and to the kobe faction: jordan never, ever would have shot 7-22 in a game like that plus, allowed his opponent to show him up. NEVER, ya hear me? i feel strongly about this.)

anyway, iverson, like jordan, is cold-blooded, fearless. to go thru the stretch he did in the fourth quarter and then to casually pop the 3 like it was a lay-up... ice water.

thecabbage, could not agree more. i caught myself actually cheering. even better, when ahmad rashad's flunkie asked iverson after the game about lue's defense, he kinda flashed a "bull****" smirk and said, "well, he was holding me the whole game." classic.

and was i the only one last night thinking, "ok, stevie, here's the bar -- let's elevate?"

------------------
    Ric
    Houston Pro Football.com

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

MVP award? Nah. A championship? Nope. An apology from ALMU is what Iverson's been playing for this year. Now, his career is complete. Nobody can ever accuse him of not winning the big one. Once you get the apology from Almu, the Hall of Fame is merely an afterthought.

15. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I guess you guys don't get to see a lot of sixer games. Ivy has been playing like this since coming into the league. He leaves it all on the floor. No one ever questioned his effort during games. Is it any wonder that Larry Bird tried everything to draft him? (even offering Miller in a trade to move up) Larry said he would be an impact player.

------------------
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited June 07, 2001).]

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree with Bob*. Ivy has always been a cocky, cold-blooded, beautiful basketball player.

as for me...

I've always wanted to apologize to David Robinson for grabbing is jockstrap off the floor in 1995 and later selling it on e-bay. But I can't help laughing everytime he calls me on the phone to whine about it.

17. Toast

Toast Member

Mobley & Iverson do have something in common. They both whine to the refs after every shot they miss. It's always a foul.

What's worse is Iverson has a little bit of Jazz in him. He's not afraid to flop for the team.

I say these things not to take anything away from his talent. Physically & skillfully, he's incredible, but I hate the way he whines & flops.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Ironically, wasn't it Michael Jordan that pronounced calmly that Allen Iverson would be "the one" to be his air apparent on draft night. I'm pretty sure That was his comment. Strange and eerie if you ask me. He was very firm in saying it. He didn't say the word torch, but he sure seemed to imply it.

Also, I've got to applaud him. He has improved his game by leaps and bounds. I saw him here at Georgetown quite a bit. Very talented then, but not this good. I doubted him, but without a doubt, he's the best, he's the MVP.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited June 07, 2001).]

19. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I can always count on Freak for classic comments in some of my posts. You live up to your name on a consistant base, Freak.

Anyways...

Iverson does b**** alot to officials and flops like no tomorrow. I also hate that. But some of those flops can be validated because most people that he plays against outweigh him by at least 40 pounds and most nights, they are about 75 pounds.

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

20. KD

KD Member

I have to apologize to Iverson, for not posting a thread here predicting a 76ers' win, although I knew there was a good chance.

I knew it was going to be a great game, so I basically kicked my boss out of my sight at 7pm (Pacific Time) and went home to watch the 2nd half.

When Iverson got the 3-pointer in OT, I finally found an excuse to shout and scream loudly like mad to disturb my downstairs neighbors who do the same to me every night with their stupid rock music. Then I celebrated by doing some bench presses and sit-ups until I was aching.

What a game! I hope the Spurs have watched the game and realized that they should refund all season ticket holders.

------------------