1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to love Jonathan Patrick France

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Aug 19, 2023.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Might as well have a grown to love thread to counter all the hate.

Who would have ever thought a college pitcher who never had a sub 1.300 WHIP season would turn to a 2+ WAR pitcher in his first year?

According to Prospects 1500, France had the following profile with no write up as the 48th best prospect in the Astros system :
    Tier 5: Players of interest, worth keeping an eye on, who have an outside chance of making their team’s 40-man roster
    Fangraphs in 2022:
    Houston’s lone internal addition was J.P. France, a 27-year old righty whose blink-and-you’ll-miss-it delivery messes with hitters’ timing. He throws two distinct fastballs with complementary movement profiles. All three of his additional offerings – a slider, a curveball, and a changeup – induced above-average whiff rates this season, as France issued 11 strikeouts per nine at Triple-A. He started the 2022 season as a starter, and his control over his extensive arsenal could allow for an eventual rotation spot, but he transitioned to the bullpen in the middle of the season, which may indicate he’s destined for a long relief role.​

the shark, rockbox, Houstunna and 5 others like this.
  2. verse

verse Contributing Member

Yet another example of why I don't care about baseball's Top 100 prospects and so called experts disparaging the Astros farm system. If they can consistently churn out major league ready players that can contribute to a team with WS aspirations, I'll gladly accept that. JP, Chas, etc... keep proving everyone wrong.

3. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

You've grown so much over the last few years you must be like at least 6 ft tall by now.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Grown in a different direction... not Vogelbach levels yet.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  5. Screaming Fist

Without France’s performance, do the Astros even make the postseason?

6. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I'm doubting they make it WITH his performance.

raining threes and ryan_98 like this.
  7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I appreciate the sentiment sir.

8. AkeemTheDreem86

I think I literally have, as well. Signed.

BlindHog likes this.
  9. vince

vince Member

Thanks for sharing

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros have been incredibly lucky and unlucky this season.

France, Chas, Diaz, Brown, and Meyers have combined for 6.7 more fWAR than FanGraphs projected in the preseason with more than a monthy to go.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Consolidating this from a few posts to put in one place.

Vs LHBs
    France has a big 12-6 curve that destroys LHBs. A lot of whiffs and a lot of grounders.

His changeup is basically a sweeper that goes the wrong direction and gives LHBs fits.

Vs RHBs

France's 4S fastball doesn't have any tailing action, doesn't get much rise, but wiggles. So far, he just throws this down the middle when he gets behind to avoid walks and depends on the wiggle for keeping it in the park, The wiggle has been winning.

His cutter is 86 mph with great cutting action, but not much wiggle (though low active spin). I expect if he went to the Luis Garcia School of throwing the cutter outside, his Ks would jump a lot. Right now, batters are just not doing much with it even when he throws it in the zone a lot.

His sweeper is garden variety and just used to keep hitters honest.

Overall, I don't expect France to change unless batters start hitting the 4S out of the park more as throwing his cutter and 4S for strikes is limiting his pitch count. Though if batters do adjust to the 4S, I think using the cutter as a chase pitch will be a way to keep his ERA down and cause his FIP to more mirror his ERA.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It would have been a lot more if Chas and Diaz were allowed to play. Julks has played more games than them.

13. rockbox

He is really good at keeping batters off balance. Very Grienke like. Obviously not change-up faster than fastball off-balance yet, but very good at mixing it up.

I think what really sets him apart is that he never seems rattled. He is used to having people on base, and he pitches the same way regardless of the situation. He just doesn't have innings where everything falls apart like other pitchers.

14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Hard to wrap my mind around this

Abreu 454 plate appearances, 634 OPS
    Dubon 398 plate appearances, 673 OPS
    Julks 312 plate appearances, 653 OPS

Chas 320 plate appearances,, 918 OPS
    Diaz 280 plate appearances, 842 OPS

Bregman and Tucker are over 500 plate appearances, Chas should be right there with them and not far behind. And if they were, there is no way to say how many games it would have made a difference in, but without a doubt we would have more wins and be in MUCH better position not just for the playoffs, but to potentially rest a couple of important arms down the stretch, instead of fighting for our playoff lives

Tomstro, Houstunna, cmlmel77 and 2 others like this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Greinke throws a much wider pitch mix regardless of batter handedness. France has 5 pitches, but he really focuses on throwing three of them to a specific batter handedness. In other words, Greinke depends more on the variety of his pitch mix to keep the hitter off balance versus a given batter while France is much likelier to shove his nastier pitches for that batter type down the hitters throat.

rockbox likes this.
  16. rockbox

You forgot 319 AB at .554 for Baker's favorite player.

the shark likes this.
  17. rockbox

I agree with you. I think the point I was trying to make is that none of his pitches are really nasty in themselves. None have a lot of movement other than his curveball and he's below average in velocity. He's effective because of where and when he throws his pitches.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

His 86-87 mph cutter leads the majors in %Break vs Average at 137% more than average (i.e., he gets more than double the average horizontal movement). It ranks as the 11th best cutter by Stuff+. I'd say his cutter isn't putting up nasty results because he is putting it into the zone way too much and depending on his stuff. He has a near 40% whiff rate on his cutter when he keeps it out of the heart of the plate.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Very true. But Don’t forget Maldy and all his wasted at bats

Qan likes this.
  20. Screaming Fist

We seem to have a lot of pitchers in the org that throw the Garcia-style sweepy mid-80s cutter. I wonder if that's just by chance.