1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to hate Aledmys Diaz

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Mar 29, 2019.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not sure what I tried. Diaz isn't better than Marwin, but he is cheaper.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

You tried to say Marwin is better than Diaz because he has the same fWAR and higher rWAR, failing to recognize that those stats are cumulative, so it makes zero sense to surmise that fWAR alone is any kind of comparative stat for 2 players with a large difference in plate appearances.

3. Buck Turgidson

Wow, dude.

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Why is Correa so dead set on leaving the Astros?

5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do we actually know that? Has he said it?

6. Buck Turgidson

No.

Snake Diggit and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Fair point.

For now

8. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know it's hard not to think about the future and especially after winning the world series in 2017 but I'm just solely focused on 2019. Correa seems to be doing the same as well.

Tomstro likes this.
  9. juicystream

No, I didn't. I just asked if you knew who had the higher WAR on BR and that they had the same on Fangraphs. I personally wouldn't judge any player based on 6 weeks into a season vs another player to who is the better player. If I did that, I'd think Jorge Polanco is better than Carlos Correa or Mike Minor is better than Gerrit Cole. If anything, I really just wanted to post about Marwin because he's turned his season around the last couple of weeks.

But I will judge you for saying Diaz is a better defender than Marwin at SS when Diaz has cost his teams 23 runs at SS.

I think pretty much all of us agree that acquiring Diaz was the right choice over paying Marwin.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He’s given no indication he’s “dead set” on leaving the stros. He has given strong indication that he wants to test free agency, which is easy to take as a sign that he’s gone. But Bregman and Verlander both made similar comments, then ended up signing extensions.

Correa has always been very mature in his approach to the business side of the sport. It’s easy to infer from his comments and attitude that he thinks he belongs as the biggest star in the biggest contract in a bigger market. But I think that may be a hasty judgement.

If I had to make a prediction I would guess Correa will he gone in free agency (although I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he extended/resigned), but that’s due to a variety of factors. I don’t think Correa will age well, and I think the front office agrees. I see Correa as closer to Tulowitzki than ARod. Also, the presence of Bregman means they have another superstar SS ready to step in (finding/developing a good 3B is easier than SS). I do think they will have the money with Verlander coming off the books, assuming they don’t extend Springer.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I started to try and compare Marwin and Diaz based on non-cumulative stats. What I found was both players are rather streaky. But in general, it seemed Marwin is the better defender and has the better arm where Diaz has a slightly better career OPS.

But if we are arguing who is the better value in 2019, I agree Diaz is the clear winner to this point.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tulowitzki put up 17 fWAR over years that Correa will be a free agent. Conservatively without doing inflation calculations, that's at least worth $170 million.

13. mightybosstone

Definitely a thread that didn't age well. A good reminder to wait a few weeks before judging players and creating "I've grown to hate" threads. He's been far more productive than Marwin this year at a fraction of the cost.

14. msn

msn Member

I've grown to hate hater threads.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Diaz is a damn good player.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Correa was willing to sign a 6 yr $170M extension, I assume it would already be done.

18. juicystream

Would be a reasonable deal, but what Correa sees (and hard to blame him):

1) The market has really gone down for guys over 30
    2) Machado & Harper both over $300M reaching FA at a young age.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

Diaz is THE MAN!

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He looks like a guy that might breakout. Lots of hard hits, but doesn't elevate many.