1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I can’t confirm but We had to have lead the league in blown double digit deficits

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Aug 3, 2022.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I wish I could find a site that tracked it but just looking at player highlights on YouTube, a lot of the games at one point we built double digit leads and lost too many of those games . Like if we had won jsut half of those games we would probably be at 30 wins. That’s kind of the main characteristics of being a really young team. Turnovers and not knowing how to win/finding ways to lose. You are what your record says you are but a 10+ win improvement wouldn’t really be shocking to me.

2. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Stats, team and player, about a bottom team should be taken lightly. I am not sure if those double digit leads are due to Rockets playing well, or the opposing team being relaxed and/or feeling that they are in control and can win any time they wanted.

HorryForThree likes this.
  3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

In the first quarter or when it counts? That matters!... cause I don't recall too many 2nd half double digit leads

clos4life likes this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Especially towards the end of the season, our young guards were positioning us to win games, but we had no frontline....defense, closing ability, personnel, etc...We'll get there.

saleem and mac_got_this like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they can dump Tate or if he's magically learned how to shoot that'll go a long way towards winning games.

Also with Smith there to help Sengun instead of him being the only big man it should solve a lot of problems on D.

clos4life and mac_got_this like this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Haven’t dug deep trying to find the info yet but here’s what I found so far

Through about 50 games last year :

This article after 76ers 80th game of the season : https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/202...15-point-leads-than-sixers-after-latest-loss/

Most 15+ point leads blown in NBA during 21/22 season
    Knicks : 8
    76ers : 7

7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I actually remember the season differently. I feel like we were getting blown out a lot of games by halftime, often being down by 10+ points at the end of the first quarter.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Same. Teams would try against us and destroy us early on, then they'd take the foot off the gas and we would catch up but still lose. This led to people getting hopeful but really it was just that the other teams took it easy on us.

HorryForThree, javal_lon, AXG and 3 others like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

nobody took the Rockets seriously last year

a double digit lead for the Rockets is like when u spot a scrub a couple of points in 1 on 1 because u know you’re still gonna win with ease

10. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’m doin the research myself now since I have a lot of downtime at work.

1. 11/2 @Lakers 79-68 3rd quarter
    2. 11/20 @Knicks 23-13 2nd quarter
    3. 12/10 @ Bucks 23-13 1st quarter. Had a 9pt lead in the 4th quarter
    4. 1/1 the halftime game against Denver 15-4 first quarter
    5. 1/14 @Kings 29-18 1st quarter
    6. 1/22 @GSW 63-49 mid 3rd
    7. 2/6 @Pelicans 60-49 early in the 3rd
    8. 2/10 @ Toronto 22-12 mid 1st
    9. 2/16 @suns 65-53 last 2nd
    10. 2/25 @Orl 17-3
    11. 2/27 @LAC 44-31 late 2nd. the Wilt Zubac game
    12. 3/7 @Miami 53-39 late 2nd Dipo revenge game
    13. 3/18 @Indiani 95-83 end of 3rd. 106-97 lead with 5 minutes left in The game
    14. 3/30 @Kings 39-26 mid 2nd quarter
    15. 4/1 @Kings 43-26 early 2nd. Also Lead 87-75 late 3rd
    16. 4/8@Raptors had 53-29 lead in mid 2nd quarter.had a 10 point with momentum to open the 4th at 97-87

16 blown double digit leads. If we win half of those that’s almost 30 wins.

most of these were post all star so that showed the team progress as the season went. We should definitely expect improvement and nothin less than an organic tank next season. 30 wins should be the goal

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's almost like the Rockets coaches didn't actually care all that much about winning games last year.

Plowman and Joe Joe like this.
  12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That’s not what this is about. This thread was mostly about one area of concern that we as a fanbase should expect dramatic improvement.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I would expect a team that is not playing to win to lose amount of big leads.

If you're tanking and you're playing a lot of young guys, expect a ton of blown leads.

14. TimDuncanDonaut

That Lakers team has had some really bad defensive lapse. For them fatigue also seemed to be factor when they played younger teams. Teams run on them in 2nd halfs.

With how high paced some of the games are, double digits swings aren't too abnormal. That said if offense not clicking, a good defensive lineup/run could be the difference of mitigating some of opponent team runs.

With Tari and Bari and no Wood, hope is we get better on that front. Better personnel for switch defense.

The other thing is if Refs don't give us calls, the constant complaining and guys not running back, that also hurt us. Players to keep mentally locked in.

saleem and mac_got_this like this.
  15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Honestly. I cannot see this group going out and knowingly go along with intentional losing. I bet they're gonna be hungry to show out. Look at the personalities involved. They will not be hunting for a top 5 or worst. If it happens, it won't be because they were trying to lose. This group is going to go all out.

My 2.

Plowman and mac_got_this like this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

ummmm.... that was the plan wasnt it....

try to look good and show promise for much of the game to keep the fans engaged - and then let it slip away down the stretch for the sake of draft order...

i thought that was the plan...

i thought leaving holes in the front line this coming year was to allow our guys to work hard and flex their muscles - but still end up in the lottery...

lol

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Here's the math on those blown leads:
    30 wins = no Jabari

Blowing double-digit leads is an important skill for a rebuilding team. If we led the league in it last year, good for us.

(No, the young players won't "learn" to blow leads. Give me a break.)

alethios likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They tried to win last year, but they sucked. Go back and read the preseason quotes from Wood and Tate and Gordon; they were all talking about trying to win. It will be the same this year.

YOLO likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We have led the league in losses for 2 years in a row.

We probably led in every type of loss subcategory.

I'm willing to bet the proportion of 'come from ahead" losses isn't super high, given the overall crappiness of the team and hence inability to even get ahead

luckyman76 and durvasa like this.
  20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

No need to read. It's your 2. Was my 2. Not really getting my point mitch.