1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I believe in God and that ALL go (eventually) to Heaven. Would you like that outcome?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by K9Texan, Mar 17, 2024.

1. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

The more I've lived the more I'm confident that we're just getting started on living forever, but in a perfected state and in a perfected environment. Are y'all up for that?!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

If there's an afterlife, that'd be awesome. But I find it unlikely.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’m not interested in debating it, but this is my belief as well. Recommended reading if you’re at all interested: “The Evangelical Universalist” by Gregory MacDonald

5. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing. I too believe in universal salvation.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I grew up forced into church 3 times a week. As a young child had everyone from my Sunday school teachers, to my parents, and my pastors use fear of hell/eternal suffering as a motivator for engagement in the church.

Had I not been subjugated and manipulated for years and years I might think differently about all that. However that experience scared me, and it will be very hard for me to truly meet this notion with an open non skeptical mind.

That being said I do still occasionally pray and I do hope there is someone out there listening. I do not believe that the afterlife if there is one is anything like what the evangelical church preaches that it is. I don’t think we are capable of comprehending what inter dimensional life transfer would be like since it has never been documented and studies because it would be impossible to do that.

I guess we’ll all find out sooner or later. Lately it feel more like sooner than later. Heaven or not, it’s worth while to try to be as good of a person as we can. Be as good of a parent as we can, and never take for granted the time we are given.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who knows? I don't think it really matters. If there is an afterlife, great. If there isn't, we won't be conscious to worry about it.

In the Bible Jesus only shared one prayer for his followers in all of his time. In that prayer he said to pray that it be done on earth as it is in heaven.

So the prayer is to do things on earth like you would have in heaven. So I figure if that's the focus, everyone will be better off.

I do beleive in an afterlife. But I don't think it matters if others agree or if I'm wrong as long as everyone is working to make life on earth like it would be in heaven, we'd all be a lot better off.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Of course there is an afterlife.... Knew it since I saw this music video as a little kid....

cwebbster and K9Texan like this.
  10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Repent and yo may be saved

AroundTheWorld, ROCKSS and K9Texan like this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

edit: oh boo! gotta watch it on youtube. but I can't delete it now, what would i put in its place? i need to know this

K9Texan and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  12. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

The belief in forever punishment is based on erroneous translations. Many Bible translators mistakenly attributed the original Greek words from the ORIGINAL scriptures pertaining to a LIMITED period of time into "everlasting", "eternal", etc. By doing so they created a new doctrine that was NOT taught by Jesus, the apostles, nor ANY of the original authors of the original scriptures.

As well, the faulty translations of future translators caused their Bible version(s) to contradict themselves!

Allow me to provide just one example of such a contradiction and I'll use the King James Version.

Matthew 25:46 KJV
    46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

1 Timothy 4:10 KJV
    10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

So which of these two is correct? They're both from the King James Version but they say polar opposite things. So which is it? Do people get sent "everlasting punishment" as Matthew 25:46 states or are ALL people eventually saved by Jesus as stated in 1 Timothy 4:10?

You see? Faulty translations often lead to contradictions. Here is an accurate translation of Matthew 25:46 from the Concordant Literal New Testament.

Matthew 25:46 CLNT
    46 And these shall be coming away into chastening eonian, yet the just into life eonian."

You see? There is no longer a contradiction with 1 Timothy 4:10.

You'll also notice that the KJV uses "punishment" while the CLNT uses "chastening". They mean two different things. Here is the definition of chastening:

chasten
    verb
    chas·ten ˈchā-sᵊn

chastened; chastening ˈchās-niŋ
    ˈchā-sᵊn-iŋ
    Synonyms of chasten
    transitive verb

: to correct by punishment or suffering : DISCIPLINE
    If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men—2 Samuel 7: 14 (King James Version)

also : PURIFY

a
    : to prune (something, such as a work or style of art) of excess, pretense, or falsity : REFINE
    b
    : to cause to be more humble or restrained : SUBDUE
    He was chastened by his team's defeat.

13. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

I was able to watch it. Thanks for sharing.

Jontro likes this.
  14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I spent many years in the Pentacostal Church so I've had the fire and brimstone and I do believe in the afterlife, just not sure about hell......I think that good people go to Heaven, just not sure about the really bad people, I would like to think that souls are not burning for eternity, they simply don't get to go to heaven..........but what do I know, I would hate to get to the afterlife and had picked the wrong team..............like getting there and go oh no, "X" was the way to worship :D

K9Texan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe religion to be 100% bullshit.

DD

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find it incongruous to believe that a loving God would also doom his wayward children to eternal punishment for not believing in Him or centuries of imperfect messengers.

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I flip-flop between this is all a simulation and we are just the universe hallucinating. It’s surreal to think of the beauty and complexity of the logic from the atomic level to consciousness.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Which one?

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This gives me a bit of a pause ...

[​IMG]

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Expect more a Matrix or San Junipero scenario

Rocket River