1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hypothetical] Would he take a pay cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BlastOff, Dec 15, 2009.

1. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

So a miracle happens, McGrady returns to good graces with the Rockets (and maybe even most fans), finishes the year strong then he becomes a free agent. He wants to return to the Rockets.

2. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

No I think we offer him another 24 million

3. raj87

raj87 Member

In answer to your query, yes of course Tracy McGrady would adjust his salary downward for an extension of his contract obligation with the Houston Rockets. There is no greater bargain in the Free Agent market, save LeBron James coming to the Houston Rockets for less than the maximum allowable salary under the collective bargaining agreement.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He's going to go where the most money is unless a contender offers him close to the highest amount. Don't count on him staying here for any amount and don't count on the Rockets offering him a dime.

5. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

LOL I know, of course he'll take a pay cut. What I mean is would he take waaaay less than a top tier player. I couldn't see him getting more than 6 or 7 mil per year considering the potential for injuries.

6. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

Look, that depends on how big of a pay cut he would have to deal with. I say he maybe would agree, but
    only to a small pay cut...i'd say he would agree to a minimum of 16M...

7. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Wow that is amazing. I can't see any team giving him that much gravy.

8. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

If he came back at a decent level and by some miracle he helped the team perform above expectations, I could actually see him signing for less than 10 mil a year, maybe as low as 7

Other than that I see him signing onto a contending team next year for the MLE...would be sick on the Nuggets.

9. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

i can't see him agreeing to any less either.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The most he will get from any team is the MLE. You can count on that.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The interest from other teams will probably be comparable to what Iverson got.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think when he comes back, he'll prove he's worth more than $10 mil a year, nowhere near the max though.

both sides are done with each other. no way both sides will even negotiate.

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Agreed.

14. NOIINTEAM

NOIINTEAM Member

T-mac will definitely take a large pay cut but in my opinion he will not resign with the rockets because of the way they handled his return to the team . I think that he really liked houston but now i believe that he will go somewhere else ,probably to a contending team like the cavs

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

even if he resumes his 07 form, no team is going to offer a 31 year old with a history of injuries a ton of money. it goes against logic.

16. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

It doesn't matter what he agrees with. No team is going to offer him more than 10mil/yr, and that's assuming he plays very well after he comes back. The economy is not helping his cause neither. My best bet is that he can get 9mil/yr for 3 years from few team.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

My guess, assuming he comes back and plays 40+ games and puts up 18/5/5 numbers, is that someone offers him 3 years at about $7-8 million per.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

That's what I expect, too. The market isn't huge for ex-superstars these days.

19. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

that's probably just wishful thinking, but i wish that if he doesn't stay with the rockets, he goes to the cavs
    or miami...

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Yes. But, as you said, he will get 10+ millions somewhere. Maybe half of his current salary.