1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypothetical Off-Season Moves

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Jared Nomak, May 2, 2000.

1. Jared Nomak

Jared Nomak Member

The Rockets are at a key stage in their rebuilding process. They have already laid the foundation with a great core group in Steve Francis, Shandon Anderson, and Cuttino Mobley (yes I do think he will resign).

Scenario #1
    I think the Rockets really need an athletic small foward. If the Rockets are capable of it, I think they are, I would like to see them trade to get Lamar Odom. Lets face it, he'll pull a Mo Taylor and jet after his three years are up. I'm pretty sure the Rockets could put a package that would entice the Clippers.

Scenario #2
    The Rockets trade up to get at least the third pick in the draft so that they can either get Kenyon Martin (if he falls), Marcus Fizer (ditto), or Stromile Swift (if the reports are true that he is going to declare).

Scenario #3
    I would really like to see the Rockets try to go after John Amechi of the Orlando Magic, he was really impressive this year, and is a legitmate center.

At the #9 pick the Rockets could get a good player, but getting higher in the draft would assure the team of getting a really good player that could make a solid contribution next year. Well fire away if you disagree. or just chime in if you have an idea that you think is better than this one.

------------------

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the BBS Jared...

I'd like to see Scenario #2 come to fruition ... I wouldn't be surprised to find out the Rockets are doing everything in their power to get into the Top 3 picks for just that reason.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

3. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I think your basic premise is sound (I am aslo of the opinion we are almost as weak in young talent at the 3 spot as the 4 or 5) but would offer some modifications because we need upgrades at multiple front court positions. We should try to pursue the best front-court player we can via draft (if we get top 3 terrific, but Moiso, Miller or E. Thomas might work out too) AND simulatenously pursue front-court help via free agency.

As TheFreak informed me, Amaechi is actually near 30 and has non-NBA career aspirations, I don't think he would be a useful FA target. I wouldn't mind going after a trio of sizable back up 24 year old centers though--Jahidi White, MacCoullach or Brad Miller. I think all could offer more resistance defensively than Pig or our Hamiltons or Venisons or whatever, and offer a change of pace from Cato (less quickness but more girth & effort).

I am pretty sure any of the trio could be had for a middle-class exemption, though I would push for them signing the lower level free agent slot. Thus I would try to land say 1)Trent, Forston or Outlaw with our 2+ mil middle class; 2) one of the girthy center trio for like 1-mil per year; 3) draft a Moiso, Miller or Thomas if it is too expensive to get the studs coming out. If we resigned Mobley and did these things I would call it a great offseason.

------------------

4. Jared Nomak

Jared Nomak Member

Thanks for the warm welcome Clutch. This is a great site, but I have actually been scoping it out for a while, but I decided to voice my opinion. The players I would really like to see the Rockets get are: Kenyon Martin and Stromile Swift.

------------------

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's why I propose a trade that would do what we needed for your 2nd scenario, and do something equivalent to the 3rd, by trading KT, and future/current pick (maybe something else too) to the Magic in exchange for Michael Doleac, and them giving us the #3 pick (and no longer owing us a pick).

I think of all NBA teams, Houston has the best shot of landing Odom, simply because: We have a young nucleus that would fit perfect with his style, and he's friends with Francis, and EXTREMELY close with Mobley. If we put out a lineup of Cato (Hakeem would start, but Cato is the main center), Swift (#3 pick), Odom, Anderson, and Francis, with Mobley, Doleac, and Hakeem the first 3 off the bench, the league will see the first new dynasty form, and stay for about 8 years.

Here would be my proposed trades-KT/future Rockets first rounder for Doleac/#3 pick (assuming they get it).

Walt Williams, Bryce Drew, and the #9 pick, for Odom, and change (if we're lucky, Olowakandi

Out the door would be: KT (in Magic deal), Bryce Drew (in Clippers deal), Walt (in Clippers deal), and the #9 pick (in Clippers deal.)

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

6. popeye

popeye Member

Welcome Jared. Very astute post.

1. I like Odom. After getting him, everything else would be gravy.
    2. I don't think the Magic would go for your deal Nike but I am all for it too. Doleac,yes. The pick Yes. That would net us Fizer. Damn.
    3. I liked McCulloch since before his Canadian National Team days. He is a tenacious player and well schooled. I could definitely live with him.
    4. Ameche, I agree with Sir Scar and Freakster, he looked good this year, but really his age is getting up there for a center, and really I am one of those guys who like to see more than one above average season before I sleep with a player.
    5. I sure like the way you think Nike, but no way in hell do we get Odom and O'Kandi or anyone else (Nesby?????) for Walt and Drew. If that was possible I would have driven the boys to LA myself and packed their bags.

7. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I'd think if we managed to get Odom and Olowakandi we'd have to give up:
    1. #9 pick in the draft-SG to replace DA or Joel Pryzbilla to replace Kandi, depending on what they do with their other picks.
    2. Bryce Drew-the PG they always wanted
    3. Kenny Thomas-the PF to replace Taylor
    4. Walt Williams-veteran SF to place in their lineup
    5. Maybe the rights to the Detroit or Orlando pick?

I don't think we could pull off both a trade with the Magic to move up to #3, and with the Clips for Odom and/or Kandi. I don't think a Magic trade I suggested is that far fetched....they're looking to attract TD, and Doleac has a slightly larger contract than KT, plus plays the same position as TD. Amaechi has been vocal about sticking around, and he could be their backup. Thomas can play PF in place of the pick, and isn't leaps and bounds behind say a Fizer. They also have 2 debts, that they'd like to pay off, and Denver has implied it may not accept a pick, so they have to pay off a Houston debt still. The #3 pick, being lottery makes a considerable more amount than a #13, about 2 mill per season, and they're trying to save some $$.....so, they get their PF (KT; who Duncan likes), save some cap space, pay off 1 of their debts, and create a perfect space for Duncan in their lineup. In this deal we could also give up our current pick, a 2nd rounder, future pick, or maybe the Detroit pick.

------------------

8. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

#3 would get us Swift or Martin.....LAC picks Martin/Swift, CHI picks Mihm, #3 gets their choice of whoever isn't picked #1, and Fizer (my bonafide bust of the draft).

There's no way Chicago, which has so many holes in their lineup gets another PF.....and there's no way you can say Martin or Swift can play center.

If Mihm decides not to declare, even though he'd probably be picked higher this year, than next year's loaded draft, he's pretty much an idiot.

------------------

9. BornRocketRed

BornRocketRed Member

The only concern I would have with getting Odom as opposed for trying for one of the top 3 big men in draft is team balance.

One of KT's good qualities is that he provides a good post presence on the boards as well as offensively--this balances well with Houston's slashing, quick backcourt.

For this reason, I believe a great scoring post player would be more important in our current lineup, assuming we re-sign Mobley, than another all-star presence at the 3.

If we do somehow get Odom, then I think a Dennis Rodman (no! don't sign him) type player would be a great complement: loves to run, great defender, great rebounder.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I haven't seen Amaechi play that much, but I just ran some numbers on him and Cato and couldn't see where he's an improvement over Cato. Is he really that much better than Cato that we should go after him? Again, I haven't seen the guy play much, so I'll have to defer to those who have.

A Cato-to-Amaechi comparison :

Minutes
    Cato : 1581
    Amaechi : 1684

Minutes/game
    Cato : 24.32
    Amaechi : 21.05

Point per game
    Cato : 8.72
    Amaechi : 10.45

FG%
    Cato : 53.75%
    Amaechi : 43.71%

Rebs per game
    Cato : 5.98
    Amaechi : 3.33

TO's per game
    Cato : 1.09
    Amaechi : 1.74

Blocks per game
    Cato : 1.91
    Amaechi : 0.46

IBM Award Value (buncha hooey if ya ask me. [​IMG])
    Cato : 42.49
    Amaechi : 38.47

Pole Ratio
    Cato : 1.41
    Amaechi : 1.19

------------------
    ?

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited May 04, 2000).]

11. AT

AT Member

What are the chances of signing Rashard Lewis this offseason? He's looked pretty good towards the end of the season/playoffs.

------------------
    "That's two years, Two rings, and I'm thinkin' about going for another one...YEAH!!" --S. Cassel

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

His playing well is not a good sign for the ROck's chances at signing him this offseason. He is starting in the playoffs and he has impressed. Seattle is not going to let him go now for sure.

------------------

13. Taipan

Taipan Member

I'm new to the whole Rocket's site but I've been looking over some of the things that have been posted and honestly I find it hard to see the Rockets doing all these drastic moves. Granted I hope I'm wrong I'd love to see the Rockets land someone like K. Mart, but I don't see any team giving up low picks for someone like Cato or Drew...If I were Orlando with all their moves I'd hold on to the picks I owe other teams till the time frame expired.
    again please prove me wrong!

------------------
    Taipan Zero

14. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Taipan-They owe multiple picks. They want caproom now. Every pick, ESPECIALLY lottery picks, takes away caproom. The people they want (save maybe Swift/Martin) will be there at #9, #10, #13, and they'll be cheaper. Will the difference between Swift and Moiso be that great? Significant yes, but Moiso could end up better, it's all a gamble. But suppose they got Swift, and they were 1-2 million short for Duncan because they had to use it for their #3, and lost out on him, which looks better Amaechi/Doleac with Swift, or Duncan with Moiso?

------------------

15. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

heypard- If Martin really is a dealbreaker in landing Duncan, you can certainly bet that Orlando won't be giving us their ticket.

------------------

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DoD Rocks...Keeley is in trouble for stat guru of the BBS.

Hey, Jared. Great opening post.

"Well fire away if you disagree. or just chime in if you have an idea that you think is better than this one.

You are kinda cheating us here by asking us if we have an idea "better than this one", since you are actually claiming three ideas for yourself. Leave some for the rest of us...lol.

I'm curious for some more specifics on Amechi. They had such an oustanding defense. I would tend to believe he is pretty sound and active, but why the low rebounding.

Pending more scouting on him, I have an idea to accomplish two of your scenarios in one Popeye trade. Our #9 and Cato for Orlando's #3 and Amechi (plus they get rid of an obligation to us). To do anything big this year, we must secure that pick from Orlando. If we land the Martin, I would then start believing that Duncan will be a Rocket.

To get Duncan,,,I believe we must get that pick and use that player selected as trade bait. I no longer believe any package of current players we put together for Duncan is going to work, because no one is a ticket seller except Francis.

SA will only trade Duncan for someone who can fill seats. I believe Martin for Duncan could go straight up, from what Popeye has been saying.

Again, to land big Fish later in the summer, we must first get Orlando to give us their pick. I would elevate the importance of that to trading Cato (with reasonable expectations of getting a quality Amechi role player as compensation).

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited May 05, 2000).]

17. pebbleholder

pebbleholder Member

I am not sure how possible this is, but this is what I would like to see happen:

1. Sign Rashard Lewis, or sign and trade
    2. Move up, or hopefully land one of the top three picks and get Stromile Swift.
    3. resign Mobley

As I see it, that would give us

PG-Francis
    SG-Anderson
    SF-Lewis
    PF-Swift
    C-Hakeem/Cato/??

with Mobley, maybe KT coming off the bench. Not bad for the future in my opinion.

------------------

18. Jared Nomak

Jared Nomak Member

Well I am glad to see my first topic garnered quite a few replies. Heypartner, thanks alot for the warm reception. To tell you the truth I really don't see the Rockets landing Tim Duncan, at least not this offseason. Nor do I see Rashard Lewis leaving Seattle. The Rockets main priority is to resign Cuttino Mobley.

All i can say is I can't wait until May 21st, so we can all find out where the Rockets will pick (hoping they win the lotto). I am impatiently awaiting the draft, because I am hoping that the Rockets pull a draft day trade, and get one of the top three spots. However the player I want the Rockets to get is nearly impossible to get. I think Lamar Odom would be a great, great addition to this team. However the chances of getting him from the Clippers are slim to none, but hey I can always hope.

------------------