1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypothetical - ALDS -Pitching

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mkahanek, Sep 26, 2019.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Shut down for the season.

2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Yea. Urquidy earned game 4. Or Miley lost it. Either way Urquidy will get the game 4 ball if we are up 2-1. If we are down 2-1. Not so sure.

vince likes this.
  3. vince

vince Member

Miley is either tipping his pitches or he experiencing some sort of dead arm after a smoking hot start. He might have just hit his limit for the year with the number if innings pitched. Kudos either way to Miley!

No way you stroll him out in a game 4 situation if the Astros are up 2-1. If they find themselves down 1-2, you send out Verlander. You send out Urquidy in the 2-1 scenario, because he can help out of the bullpen as well. As far as I’m concerned, he’s not playing in the first playoff round.

I’d revaluate Miley in the ALDS, maybe a few weeks of rest will get him back to himself, as he was the first 4 months of the season. But any which way, he’s on a very tight leash.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I recant my previous post about wanting to pitch Miley if we are playing the Rays because of all their left handed hitters.

Urquidy dominates left handers.

Urquidy
    Vs RHB
    .300 BA, .333 OBP, .821 OPS

vs LHB
    .179 BA, .210 OBP, .530 OPS

5. Buck Turgidson

14 and 11 in the first round:

JV, Cole, Greinke

Osuna, Pressly, Harris, James, Smith, Urquidy, Peacock? (how does he feel?), Abreu [Miley/Rondon/Valdez as backup]

Yuli, Altuve, Bregman, Diaz, Brantley, Springer, Reddick, Chirinos, Maldonado, 2 of Tucker/Straw/Correa

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If we are down 1-2, role with Miley with JV ready to go.

Hopefully Astros sweep and don't have to worry about Miley until the ALCS.

7. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

WTH!!! Roll with Miley down 1-2? If u think Texans fans think O'Brien is an idiot, I can’t imagine what Astros fans will think of AJ after Miley blow up in the 1st inn on the road.

8. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

No way Valdez will be on the playoff roster. I like to see Abreu get the last spot in the playoff roster. Add Rondon if we get to ALCS.

vince likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I can't for the life of me imagine how anybody could be OK with Miley taking the mound in game 4 under any circumstance. Even before the roof caved in over the last 5 starts, his WHIP was near 2 in the 4 prior starts. Over his last 9 he's rocking a 40% LD rate and 14 BB in 29 innings. He's been completely non competitive. Game 4 in a 5 game series is absolutely pivotal, you don't give a guy the ball when he's been this bad because he earned it earlier in the year.

Urquidy, bullpen day or Verlander on short rest. No f**king way on Miley.

#29 sealclubber1016, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  10. Buck Turgidson

Nope, as I said "backup". You have more faith in Peacock's shoulder than I do.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FWIW Assuming we carry 11

Verlander,Cole,Greinke

Urquidy, Osuna, Pressly, Harris, Smith, James, Abreu, Peacock

Don't feel great about Peacock, could go with Framber or Miley as the possible 2nd long man. Honestly don't want to see any of them pitching meaningful innings. Rondon has been pitching fairly well this month, but I want James and Abreu on the roster and he would be the one I would bump (and frankly I don't trust him)

#31 sealclubber1016, Sep 29, 2019
  12. Jeremy Williams

Umm...you left off Alvarez and Gurriel. And you only have 11 offensive players listed. Even if you have them included you have room for all 3 of Tucker, Straw and Correa. Only one not considered in your proposal is Toro.

13. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I suck. I included Yuli, somehow forgot Alvarez, and still jacked up everything. We both forgot Jake. Hmmm.

I blame my trying to wrap my head around the conundrum that is the Houston Texans. Won't happen again.

eta: let's try again, shall we? Assuming health:

11 pitchers: JV, Cole, Greinke, Urquidy, Osuna, Pressly, Harris, James, Smith, Abreu, Peacock

14 players: Chirinos, Maldonado, Yuli, Altuve, Bregman, Correa, Diaz, Alvarez, Brantley, Springer, Reddick, Marisnick, Straw, Tucker

#33 Buck Turgidson, Sep 29, 2019
    vince and everyday eddie like this.
  14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’d go 14-11 for the ALDS.

JV, Cole, Greinke, Urquidy (if up 2-1)

Osuna, Pressly, Harris, Rondon, Miley, Peacock, Devo

Springer, Altuve, Brantley, Bregman, Alvarez, Gurriel, Correa, Chirinos, Reddick

Maldonado, Diaz, Straw, Marisnick, Tucker

15. Buck Turgidson

Also - and thank god this is just a hypothetical thread - it would be nice to know who we are playing. It should matter for the bullpen makeup. Ask me again when I'm bored on Thursday.

16. elrond

elrond Member

So here's a scary thought....what if the Astros didn't pick up Greinke? I think we'd all be wetting ourselves :p

everyday eddie and texans1095 like this.
  17. vince

vince Member

Urquidy has really impressed me. I didn’t even know he was on the radar at the beginning of the season, yet here he sits in command of his stuff/ pitching arsenal. And I think he will be given the ball in a game 4 situation with the Astros up 2-1.

Miley I’m still hoping just needs to step back, get a little rest and be ready for the next round. Because if it’s not health, and if Miley completely fell off or is tipping his pitches, either way if that is the case you cant use him till he figures it out. But Astros are where they are because of his strong pitching during 4 month to begin the season. Much like Fiers who carried the Astros during the regular season, and didn’t pitch during the post season,

Miley and Fiers were integral in helping the Astros keep the bullpen fresh and into the Playoffs.

18. AstrosRockets1818

19. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I hope. But if the A’s win the wildcard it will most likely be Manea vs Greinke in game 3 in that r****ded drum thumping dump in Oakland. That is a TOUGH matchup. Could be 2-1 stros going to game 4 with Urquidy popping his playoff cherry in Oakland.

of course this is where being top seed is paying off. Manea will only get one crack at us. Unless Oakland smokes a doob and roles Fiers out for the wildcard game.

20. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bryan Abreu's stats this year:

8.2 IP 4 H 1 ER 3 BB 13 K

I want him on the ALDS roster. Nasty breaking ball that I think will play in the postseason.

RustyHarden and everyday eddie like this.