1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HS Football!!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Greg#3, Sep 5, 2001.

1. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

This is Texas, man.

High-school football is a way of life.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This coming from someone who spends ungodly amounts of time on an internet website devoted to a sports team. :rolleyes:

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Better than soccer fans who murder each other. At least most of the high school teams are filled with residents from the community. Our friends, brothers, sons, etc. I find high school football more intriguing than Euro soccer where teams hire players from all over the country.

5. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Go Hastings Bears!!! :eek:

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Katy is the best team in Texas. I think they are still the team to beat.

7. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

gr-1 - I watched the entire UNLV/Ark. game and a little of the A&M game last night. Neither of those teams fumbled ther ball 5 times in one freakin quarter like Ike. On top of that, the Ike defense couldn't stop Westlake either. They probably put up 28 points in the 3rd, if not more. I don't remember.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The Mighty Memorial Mustangs will run $hit in the Houston area this year.

I'm an alum fyi.

Beat a pretty decent Hightower squad 14-7 on Thu.

Katy is still the best team. The 35-7 loss is indicative of the amount of newcomers on the squad. By season's end, Katy will win the whole shebang.

North Shore always has the city's best talent but gags in the 1st or 2nd round.

Ike always chokes too.

Katy pretty much owns Hastings and Elsik. Hastings got their asses kicked big time by North Shore 35-7.

:eek:

Midland Lee also lost tonight.

9. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

kidrock8 - How good is Brad Girtman????

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

You must be kidding.

Lufkin is by far the most talented team in Texas.

Katy is a power, but not as good a team as they used to be.

Starting quarterback, Reggie McNeal, is the premier quarterback in the nation.

Disagree?

I've got USA Today on my side...:)

Top 25 Teams in the nation

Top players at each position

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Katy is the best team in Texas. I think they are still the team to beat.

Mabye, since Benson plays in Austin now and not in Midland.

I'm not saying this racistly, but I think Katy's success is fairly surprising considering they have two black starters and four on the whole football team (last year when they won the title).

I'm not even going to bring up the race card here. I think Katy has a damn good team because they get to keep all their talent year after year. Is there even another high school in Katy?

On the other hand, most of the top talent in Houston, or any other major Texas city, is spread out because of the numerous districts. It seems like every few years, a new high school pops up, and the teams loot talent away from other schools (the high school's in Mo. City for example). Mabye that's why no major city has had a state champ in a while. It's always the little country towns that can keep the area's top talent on the same squad.

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

icehouse,

1st off

we are not a small "country town", we are a quite big suburb of houston actually

katy isnt a one high school town, there a 4 of them: mayde creek, katy, katy taylor(where i graduated from this past summer) and the newly formed cinco ranch

johnston is a fine coach and having huge offensive lineman like they do surely doesnt hurt-they breed them, j/k

but also consider players transfer to katy because of the winning past-jerrold jones is an example

for example one of the katy players lives in the taylor school zone, yet goes to katy(i dont remember the name, but trust me its true)

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

DVauthrin

Forgive me. I didn't mean country town (even though I typed it). I meant the teams that usually win state are towns, suburbs, whatever that don't have that many schools, which means the talent generally plays for one team.

You say Katy is a big suburb of Houston. Well, so is Mo. City. Imagine if they only had 4 high schools, and all the top athletes in that area got to attend the one with the winning tradition. Imagine if the South Side of Houston was one district (exactly how big is Katy). That would mean I could have the top talent from Madison, Westbury, Yates, Sharpstown, Worthing and Lamar. Or give me the Northside and let me choose from Washington, Eisenhower and Milby.

Do you get my point?

14. DVauthrin

i see your point, but katys success is more due to to the fact their constant is big bruising lineman, along with johnstons coaching

They dont have all the athletes like the greater area would, what they have is a tradition they are determined to uphold, a couple good skill players, a great coach and most importantly big bruising offensive linemen year in and out. Plus like i mentioned with johnstons success players will transfer to katy to play football.

As for how many people live in katy, id venture to say 10-20,000

we arent ever going to be as large as houston but it isnt small by all means

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

KAty isn't small in terms of enrollment roughly 3,000 or so.

They don't keep their talent in terms of returning a lot of starters. Every year, they lose 75% of their starters.

What they do have is tremendous depth. I read somewhere that Katy will have 80+ players on their varsity.

That is ridiculous.

16. DVauthrin

kidrock8,

you want to know how many people try out for their team

about 130 kids

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Yeah...MC won on Friday...woohoo! Then Katy won on Saturday aainst Jersey Village 36-14. I was out at the game on the Falcons side, and I thought JV would get it. They were up 14-0 then the Tigers reeled off 36 in a row. Damn. A couple of my buddies seriously transferred to Katy before our freshman school year because of the team. Katy still looks very strong. Jerrold Jones is still there, and Eric Konesheck the (very good) kicker. Your right, kidrock, the number of Katy players is unbelievable. I went to McDonald Jr. High and in 7th grade was a huge fan of the Katy championship team that beat Dobie. I still like the Tigers; I've always been a fan just like everybody else in this burb I just am a Ram now. :cool:

18. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Ok Greg, now it is my turn. We won last night, 17-). Y'all lost. Ok, I wanted to get that out. Here is where I wonder. How were you able to gather All-Houston teams? And what makes them believable? You only have one Klein player on there when there could be two or three that could qualify. You remember Sloan Thomas, well we have a receiver that is the second coming of him. What about Marcus Jones too? Ok so many questions for the Forest boy. I am not done though...

19. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

the westside wolves got the best freshman class in the nation right now

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

hahahaha!

It doesn't matter. HISD football blows in the playoffs. Was Yates the last HISD school to do ANYTHING?

That's just in the city.

Nationally, I'm sure De La Salle, Long Beach Poly, Tallahassee Lincoln, Jenks, and Mater Dei will have something to say about that.