1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HR Help]HR Laws?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, Sep 21, 2011.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I know a few of the folks here are in HR and I had a question for them

I recently accepted a new offer from a different company last week all that is remaining for my new company is to get a employment verification form from my current company. They sent over the form to our HR Manager here and she has yet to fill it out. I have seen the form since I had to sign off on it and its just 6 yes/no questions.

Part of the reason why I am leaving my current job is that its way too hostile of a work environment and part of that problem is the HR Manager herself. On Monday when she got the form I mentioned to her that she should be getting the form and if she could fill it out and send it back I would appreciate it. She jokingly said that she was disgruntled I was leaving and wouldnt do it. (We were casual friends and all) but after that she said a few things that were honestly a bit offensive, lacked tact and surprising and shocking. I didnt say anything back to them because I figured they were probably out of jealously/bitterness that I am moving on and she isnt (she hates working here)

It was her birthday yesterday so I figured I should try to do something nice before leaving so I got here one of those cheesecake samplers you see at the store and left it on her desk. She didnt say anything - no thanks or anything I wasnt expecting a huge bravado of thanks but a simple thanks should have been said out of courtesy considering when I came into her office later the sampler was empty.

Today I go help her with some stuff again and she makes some snide b****y comments at me, doesnt say thanks or anything and I come back and I get a phone call from my new employer saying that they havent received the verification form yet and thats the only thing holding me up.

I believe by law she has to fill out the form but I just dont know if there is a time window in doing so I can remind her again but its clear she is letting her own feelings and emotions get in the way of being professional and her job. I just want to know what my options are if she passively aggressive does not fill out the form. I will ask the new company to call her again about filling out the form if needed. I just want to know if there is any legal recourse I can take if needed. I start at my new job next week and if I dont have this in then I cant start there.

Any help/insight would be appreciated thanks

(you can see why I want/need to leave this current place because of BS like this)

1 person likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Generally, the ball must clear the fence in fair territory (or hit on or above a designated line) in order for it to be an HR. A few times a year, there are also inside the park HRs.

3 people like this.
  3. The_Yoyo

^^^

I should have expected this missile

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

maybe she likes you and is upset your leaving (are you friends or was she secretly thinking there were sparks and feels stupid?)

OR she isn't your friend at all. Go tell her to fill it out politely. First ask her if she has time to talk about something. The second she reciprocates to talk just bring it up that you need the form filled out. If she doesn't do it now, then it's time to ask her why she won't do it for you. If she won't then I suggest documenting this and going to her boss.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't understand this form thing...I don't recall having to have one of those signed when i left my last job.

But why don't you just walk in there and ask her to fill it out right in front of you.

Or, email her with the form attached and also copy whomever you and she reports to

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What Donkey said. Can't you just ask her to fill it out in front of you?

7. The_Yoyo

I have already asked her once on Monday and she brushed me off and started to say **** back at me I will ask her again but i dont like my chances there

going to her boss - the president - will get me nowhere (again a huge reason why I am leaving) her caters to her like there is no tomorrow I've suggest to him in the past about her lack of professionalism handling things and its has had no effect and he thinks she is already over worked when she is probably in the office no more than 25-30 hours a week

8. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Type a business letter (or email, cc to her boss ) with due time on it and formally ask for the filling.

Go to the people who ranks way higher than her.

If things go bad, make it look like their company vs. you, not she vs. you.

I've spent some time on business law. I am sure you will win this in any court.
    You can delay your new job and they should reimburse your loss.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I asked a friend who is an HR manager.

She said that there's nothing legally requiring them to fill out the form. If she won't fill out the form, you can call the HR person at the new company and ask them to do a verbal verification instead in which case they will call your old HR person on the phone and get the information that way. Either that or you can explain the situation and they can go ahead and hire you without the verification.

Now if they call to verify and the HR person lies to them or falsely insinuates or gives them the impression that you were a bad employee (and you weren't) and it causes the new company to not hire you, then you can sue your old company. But you can't make the HR person fill out the form if they refuse to.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well don't give up so easy next time.

11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

You can't just ask this guy to help???

[​IMG]
    :grin: