1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Zhou Qi be viewed by the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you view Zhou after his rookie season

Poll closed May 1, 2018.
  1. Star potential

8.7%
  2. Starter potential

18.8%
  3. Quality bench player

44.0%
  4. Zhou sucks

20.7%
  5. Traded

7.9%
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Scottie Pippen

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i may be quoted early saying he needs to bulk up and spend a year in RGV..

but **** that keep joe around man! kid plays for the team and makes smart defensive plays (he left a rookie shooter to double down on rudy gay off of a switch tonight and forced a miss).

DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  3. bongman

bongman Member

You do realize that you are comparing lottery picks with a late second rounder? There is no hype for Qi and that is why he was picked in that spot. People are excited that there is slight possibility that he might turn into somebody servicable.

D-rock likes this.
  4. ZHOUDynasty

ZHOUDynasty Member

[​IMG]

His final status.

5. hakeemthagreat

In context, some guy hear said Ralph Sampson's the most overrated player in history. He was responding to me posting that most Asian or foreign guys here are overhyped

6. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

Zhou Qi needs to start!
    G - Chris Paul
    G - James Harden
    F - Trevor Ariza
    F/C - Zhou Qi
    F/C - Clint Capela

Bench
    G - Eric Gordon; Bobby Brown
    G/F - PJ Tucker; Troy Williams
    F - Ryan Anderson; Mbah a Moute
    F/C - Nene; Taric Black; Cameron Oliver; Onuaku

Little Bit likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He played pretty good defense in the 2 minutes he was on the floor last night. How I feel about Zhou is similar to how I felt about Capela in his first season. Hopefully he can develop into something useful.

D-rock likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ralph Sampson is in the basketball hall of fame
    Qi is getting over hyped for obvious reason. I saw Qi play, he's a few solar systems away from being Ralph Sampson.

He is tall though.

Rashmon likes this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

Ralph Sampson pre injury was amazing.

The 1986 Rockets made it to the finals cause Ralph carried the team when Dream was ejected against the Lakers.
    One of the greatest moments in Rockets history.

10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

He will be viewed as tall and lanky.

11. basketballholic

Exceeded expectations?

Sampson was expected to win multiple titles. He exceeded expectations like Sam Bowie did. (Reminder, this is not about Ralph. He personally didn't let anybody down. Injuries did steal his career. But hype is hype. Ralph's career never even met expectations, much less exceed them.)

Unlike Lin did? Look, the only guy who had great expectations for Lin was Les. Morey signed Lin because Les wanted him and Morey overpaid to get Lin against his better judgment because Les insisted on getting Lin. Lin was not hyped. He was second rounder that OUTPERFORMED and continues to way outperform his draft status.

Nice attempt to obstruct your racial bias against Asians by bringing up the Lin argument however.

jbasket and mig0s like this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i would say however that QI is way ahead mentally than capela was. (something something record for missed free throws)

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why did you bring Lin in? Lin was an undrafted player. He was not even under the radar until Linsanity happened in New York. And he was NOT a FOREIGN player. He was born in the US and played high school and college ball just like any American players do.

Yao was a number 1 pick. Zhou is a second rounder (43rd overall). You are comparing apples with lemons. If Zhou is indeed overhyped as you said, it is not because he is Asian. It's because he's tall and fairly mobile. Like I said earlier, he's comparable more to Capela than any of the "Asian" or "foreign" players you brought up.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's long, pretty agile for a guy with that length, has a good feel for shot blocking, has a 3 stroke he can improve, and seems to be coachable. That's a lot of good stuff to work with.

I'd don't see anything "special" about him, but I could easily see him having solid starter upside. I doubt he plays any meaningful minutes this season.

skroodup25 likes this.
  15. Know Your Role

Not commenting on anything related to Qi or Lin, but i disagree that Ralph was overhyped.

Ralph was hurt before entering the NBA and got us to the finals in his 3rd year. Not to mention his accomplishments in his first few years including Rookie of the Year and All Star Game MVP in 1985 during the era where actual men played the game. Ralph put up 24 and 10 to beat out Magic, Kareem, Hakeem, MJ, Bird, Mchale, Dr J, etc. He played to the level that was expected of him until he slipped and got hurt in Boston. That was bad luck and 1980's horrible sports medicine. I don't think it's right to call him overhyped. He was unlucky and it's a shame because he was a monster when he could play.

Rashmon likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Nope. He's not Sampson.

Rashmon and dmoneybangbang like this.
  17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Why are you guys even discussing basketball with jopat/bbh like he knows what he is talking about? Guy has a worse track record of being right than a broken clock.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I didn't backread so I don't know what was said , but he's not Sampson hahaha.

Sampson was a monster and could've gone down as well regarded as Hakeem had he not gotten injured .

Qi is interesting and he's especially interesting given the direction the NBA is headed .

But his skills aren't there and his body isn't there yet . He needs lots of time for both to develop .

I like his potential to be a solid player in the NBA , but don't think he has star potential ... That doesn't mean he can't play like one next to harden and Paul , just that he won't ever be a force on his own.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

So Draymond vs Zhou? now?

HELL NO.

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

Some serious Rockets homer glasses going on right now.

Ralph Sampson was, objectively, a disappointment. For what was considered a generational talent, he had a less than stellar pro career that would not have been HOF worthy if not for his college basketball success. In the last Rockets playoff run, he was 25 years old already.