1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How thankful are you now that the Melo trade didn't happen?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Loneyroy7, Nov 5, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

2. hakeemthagreat

The Thunder don't really have a structured offense. I notice they just stand around while each of their stars go one on one. The role players don't really do much and are basically ignored. Melo here would be a different animal

On a side note, I take great satisfaction in every game OKC loses. The media annointed them 2nd in the West above us, before they played one regular season game. Meanwhile we've already beat GS & look pretty good WITHOUT Cp. Just imagine when he gets back. Love it

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Never wanted him. Not saying the Rockets couldn't use another All-Star to help them overcome the Warriors(although EG is playing like one to start the season), but Melo was never the answer. He's a ball dominant player who puts up a crapload of shots. That was never gonna work with Harden, CP3, and EG in the same lineup.

I'm much happier with the Rockets shifting their focus to defense with their offseason acquisitions. As we saw last night when they dropped 137 on the (previously)3rd best defense in the NBA, they can score on anyone. It's consistently getting stops that will vault them into title contention.

Easy likes this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

PAY ATTENTION: The argument was never if Melo is better than Anderson. EVERYBODY AGREES MELO IS BETTER THAN ANDERSON. Most agree that Melo is an upgrade over Anderson and would make the Rockets a better playoff team (myself included).

The argument has always been if Anderson is trash and doesn't contribute to winning. You thinking just because Anderson is overpaid, his contributions to the team are not valid or not enough is really dumb.

No matter how many times I say it in that other thread you don't get it. I don't think you ever will.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

QFT

Easy and BigMaloe like this.
  6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Harden helps our case to land Lebron. We need to have a great season and get to the WCF. The Cavs and Lebron are free-falling while the Rockets are having fun and can win even without CP3.

Tell me that Lebron doesn't want to play with a player like Harden.:cool:

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I've been saying Melo isn't that good even when Morey had the banner hanging up for him at TC.

8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I never understood why we went after Melo the first time (and maybe even the second? I vaguely remember us making two strong pushes for him prior to this year). He is a horrendously overrated talent. But this offseason... I kinda get/got it, I think. With us already having Harden and Paul, adding Melo would have involved enough talent to just give it a shot, you know? Just a situation where it may have made some sense to fling some **** against the wall, and see if it sticks. Not the best strategy, but a strategy nonetheless.

Would have greatly preferred if we could have miraculously landed PG, though.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Melo would be great for our team, shet happens we move on. There's no point speculating at this point. It was a stalemate, no one was going to take Anderson and we sure as hell wasn't going to give up Gordon

I think OKC is going to be a handful for anyone in the playoffs based on star power alone.

10. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

^^^^ This

It will be very similar to Durant leaving to GS but instead LeBron leaving to HOU. The question is how can we do this? 2 max players in Harden/Paul. 2 Bigger contracts with Ryan/Ego. We would have to trade Ryan + 1st round pick + just to get rid of him but still not sure if we would be under the cap to sign LeBron outright.

sammy likes this.
  11. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

If it were just a straight up Anderson for Melo swap I would have been okay with it. But no way you include Ariza or Gordon in any trade for Melo as of right now

12. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

13. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

A case can be made that we can only squeeze in 3 max contracts and having Melissa here would hurt the LeBron chase.

14. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

By ignoring hardens 56 points 13 assists game.

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Melo was not happy in OKC, he plans on going to Houston, that's where he always wanted to be.
    -SAS next offseason LOL

roslolian and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  16. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I think in HOU he still would've fit a hell of a lot better than he does in OKC.
    OKC literally has the most ball hogging dominant player in the league and his name is Russell Westbrook.
    Here is a really good understanding of what Billy donovan is looking for in his system:
    "I’ve always been a ball movement, player movement, extra pass team and coach. That’s what I really believe in,” said Donovan when he first spoke to the OKC media at his Thunder introductory press conference. “Ball movement, player movement and the extra pass. If you’ve got one, and someone’s got a better one, move the ball. Creating multiple actions on different sides of the floor, keeping the floor moving, keeping it spaced, and the ball continuing to move. Playing fast, moving and playing into a flow on offense. Playing at a concept, not stopping and calling a play every time, but letting those guys create and make plays inside that vision of player movement, ball movement and making the extra pass and being unselfish.”
    This system Billy is trying to run doesn't fit any of the players he has on his team especially not Westbrook, PG, and def not Melo. This is why I believe that Melo would've been great in HOU bc his only job was to shoot and make them, that's it.
    It I were OKC I would consider trading for someone like an Anderson who fits their bill more than Melo while Melo fits our system better than Anderson even though Anderson runs our system pretty darn well. HOU just wants someone to shoot. The hell with the 4 man worried about passing the ball as long as he can set screens and pull up and make the shot that's all we need.

#116 ROXonROXonROX, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    roslolian likes this.
  17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

wait but he never averaged a triple double. and what about klay, he's a better two-way player

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

19. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Melo is a black hole. Just look at how Porzingis is doing without. So glad my Knicks shipped his ass even if it was for potato chips.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If it was just Ryno for Melo, Morey would have pulled the trigger. But we would have to give more than just Ryno to get Melo. And Morey wisely abstained.

macan and Daddy Long Legs like this.