1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How thankful are you now that the Melo trade didn't happen?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Loneyroy7, Nov 5, 2017.

1. bongman

bongman Member

Is that what we call moving the goal post? Why is Ryno the only one held to that standard?

2. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Even though Melo is still taking long 2's, he's been missing quite a bit of open shots. I don't know if I would want Melo after seeing all the bricks he's been putting up. It's a toss up and I'm happy with Ryno's improvement this year on both ends of the court. He's been really impressive. Last year in the playoffs he wasn't able to get some shots up during the Spurs series but with CP3 and Harden playmaking, I see he'll make a big impact this playoff series.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I noticed that on the TNT postgame. No commentary other than some awful Spanish and a "OKC lost to Brooklyn?" comment as they went to the next game's highlights. What else is there to be said when OKC is so mediocre even in their wins?

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Bullets dodged by the Rockets
    -Bosh
    -Parsons's max
    -Dwight staying long term
    -Melo
    -D-mo long term
    -first Cp3 trade with the lakers

5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

0% chance of that happening, like non

6. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Melo 5-20 last night lmao

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

before season starts, OKC IS GOING TO BE TOP 2 TEAMS BECAUSE OF THIS, WE ARE GOING TO BE BUMPED TO 4-5..

now, well if Ryan Anderson doesn't help us beat GSW in the playoffs then Morey still sucks

8. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

You forgot Melo First Time

Easy likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I did more than a little whining about losing out on Melo and as of 12/8/17 I look pretty damned foolish.

HOWEVER!

My main argument was that Melo would be a difference maker over Anderson in the playoffs since Melo's offense isn't 100% reliant on others. And similarly, Anderson has a history of poor playoff performances - primarily because he's a one-trick pony.

Now it could very well be that I was just flat out wrong in my offseason assessment of our PF spot, but I don't think we can declare that yet. But while I maintain (for now) the logic I used in the off-season, I am starting to feel a teeny weeny bit better about Anderson as our PF in the playoffs. Just the littlest bit.

Here's to hoping I continue to look foolish for my offseason claims and that in the playoffs I have to eat the Ryan Anderson flavored crow.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

and that's how you do it, @ashleyem. It's your turn.

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  11. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I never got the playoff Melo point, he's only been out of the first round twice in his career, his time with the Nuggets were endless 6 v 3 upsets

12. amaru

amaru Member

He isn’t the only one I hold to that standard.

I hold all $20 million dollar players to that standard. After all he’s getting paid difference maker money, therefore he needs to be a difference maker.

Historically, players making less have had more of a post season impact than him.

However I am pleased to see that he has at least committed to trying this year. We’ll see if it’s a permanent change or just a flash.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Race fior higher PER

14.97 -- 14.77

Melo by a hair.... for now

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[Pro-Anderson response redacted]

I'm trying to get my rep back on these boards so I'm not going to respond.

Mazulis and amaru like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think we finding that production wise it is a wash
    however . .. we don't have the MELO-tude on the team

Rocket River

saleem and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There is no reason to believe CP3 wouldn't have the same impact on Melo as he has had on Ryno.

That being said, the way the Thunder are structured at the moment are harmless even in the playoffs. People see them as a threat, and they would be in the sense that their defense is very good. On offense however, they are every team's defense come true. Guard their ISOs and lack of ball movement.

17. MystikArkitect

If Melo was here he’d be averaging 18/8 on 55% shooting and 42% from three. Talking heads would say Harden got lucky getting another All Star to play with him and New York absorbed “selfish” Melo.

It’s amazing how some players turn other players into better versions of themselves while other players take some and make them worse versions of themselves. It’s weird.

mario_v likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well the idea isn't that Melo is awesome in the playoffs therefore blahblahblah, it's that Melo as a third option in the playoffs would be awesome.

Regardless I don't want to talk about that anymore. It's done and it's over, and - at this point - we've moved on to better things anyway.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melo’s been looking done lately

hajkov and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

More of the same that Melo was doing in NY really.