1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How quickly we forget how great they really were

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dr of Dunk, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm in the drawn out process of moving apartments at the moment. I had a tech come out to activate my cable modem service a couple of days ago. While he was doing his thing I decided to turn to NBA.com TV or whatever it's called. They were showing a Finals game between the Lakers and the 76'ers. This is the one where Magic Johnson plays center for an injured Kareem, right? I watched as Magic poured in 40+ pts, grabbed 15+ rebs, and about 7 assists, and I think 2 or 3 steals, all while playing center. Actually he was playing pretty much everything on the court. They interviewed Dr. J and Billy Cunningham and asked them to talk about the game and Magic's performance. Both of them said something to the effect "we threw anybody and everybody we thought could slow him down at him, but nothing worked -- nobody could stop him".

I look now at the comparisons of how great Kobe is at such a young age (22). He's not 75% the player Magic was at 20 in that game. Magic was a leader from the moment he entered the league. He was a freak of nature physically, he knew how to run a fast break, he knew how to make incredible passes, he was absolutely everything that makes basketball so beautiful to watch.

It's amazing that in relatively so short a time we're talking about people like Shaq, Kobe, etc. being among the greats when after watching a few of the Magic games against the Pistons, I now realize there is no comparison. People speak if Kobe is ahead of Jordan at this age. I've got a question : When will Kobe catch up to Magic, because at 20 Magic was better than Kobe at 22.

I miss the Magic man. I miss his smile. I miss the LA fast break. I miss the Celtics. I miss the Celtics fast break. I miss the greatest rivalry in NBA history between those two teams, and after watching some of those LA fast breaks I can understand why. People like Magic, Worthy, Cooper, etc. knew how to play the game. Basketball today - I don't know how to define it. It's different. And it's not just the athleticism. I know the Lakers and Celtics of the 80's were among the 3 or 4 greatest teams to ever grace a court, but dammit, they were awesome...

Anyway watching some of those games just reinforces my opinion that if I were to ever build a franchise and I had a choice, Magic would be my first pick. Not Jordan, not Bird, not Wilt (although this would be tough), not Russell, but Magic.

------------------
    "I had mine chewed off by a boss one time." -- Behad leaves us wondering if he gets hazard pay...

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I agree 100% Doc. Magic is far superior to Kobe Bryant, no matter what the Lakers fans of today think. While Kobe was riding the pine his first few years in the league Magic was dropping triple doubles, starting in every position, and winning an NBA championships. Kobe now couldn't hold a candle to Magic Johnson, or Dr J. To compare him to Jordan is a joke. Jordan was a monster even at his young age. If you put Hakeem and Jordan on the same team in their early 20s and gave them an experienced coach they would be racking up championship. And Magic ENJOYED the game, he didn't have a look like he was above the game, or constantly trashed the opposing player. I miss the 80s. Hey, I miss the early to mid-90s!

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited June 20, 2001).]

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Dr,

Over the weekend i also moved house, no epiphany for me just found lots of things under my bed that i had to chuck out and a massive pile of Dust [​IMG]

Smeg

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still say Magic is the greatest ever. He is the only player who could have dominated at every position on the court.

He could have averaged 30ppg, too.

------------------
    Squatting on old bones and excrement and rusty iron, in a white blaze of heat, a panorama of naked idiots stretches to the horizon. Complete silence-their speech centers are destroyed-except for the crackle of sparks and the popping of singed flesh as they apply electrodes up and down the spine. White smoke of burning flesh hangs in the motionless air. A group of children have tied an idiot to a post with barbed wire and built a fire between his legs and stand watching with bestial curiosity as the flames lick his thighs. His flesh jerks in the fire with insect agony.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Magic was the greatest team player in the world and along with Bird they did more for Basketball in the NBA than anyone else.

Showtime was a thing of beauty. In the last two minutes of a game Magic and Bird were flawless. Perfect passing, perfect decission making. The golden era of Basketball may be gone but I can say I was lucky enough to experiance it.

------------------

6. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Put me down for Magic, too.

When you think about how good he really was, it makes all the talk now about Kobe and Shaq sound silly. As the brothers like to say..."N.....puleeze!"

He's the man I start with, too, when creating the perfect team.

BTW, the one time I met him was at the Men's Club in 1990 after a game. He had about 5 dancers working him in the back room. When he announced his HIV about a year later, I always wondered if he might have gotten it that night. Scary.

------------------
    Some days you eat the bear. Some days the bear eats you.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Magic is the most overated player of all time. He'd walk the ball up to half court, turn around, stick his butt in the face of some 6'1" PG, run them over, and wait for the refs to call a foul. In fact, picture Magic for a moment in your mind...

Here's what I see: him leaning over with that whiny smile on his face complaining endlessly to the refs and him using his @$$ as a weapon to excersise a somewhat unorthodox, yet entirely effective NFL quality run-blocking technique that would compare favorably with Bruce Matthews' best work for the Oilers.

------------------

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ottomaton, I certainly don't agree with you about Magic... but I have to admit, this last statement was hilarious. [​IMG]

------------------
    Feeling claustrophobic, like the walls are closing in.
    Blood stains on my hands, and I don't know where I've been.
    I'm in trouble for the things I haven't got to yet.
    I'm chomping at the bit, and my palms are getting wet.
    Sweating Bullets

Runnin', Ravin', Endin', Out.

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I'd have to start with Jordan.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

RITQAIOCLHTPFOTFWBPTD

10. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Best use of a big butt has to go to Sir Charles. OSHA wanted him to wear one of those beepers they require on forklifts when they're backing up.

------------------
    Some days you eat the bear. Some days the bear eats you.

11. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I've seen Magic play a lot of games, and I can count on one hand the number of times he walked the ball up the court.

------------------
    "I always thought it was something that went around my house"
    - World B. Free on Defence

12. Falcon54

Falcon54 Member

This is funny. 1st, a big part of magic's game was indeed walking the ball up the court and posting the smaller gaurd. he was not all showtime. anyway, magic is one of the greatest team players ever. but comparing him to Kobe is not fair. Match them up and I bet you 9 out of 10 Kobe wins. Better scorer, more athletic, better D. I don't see magic winning that match up. as for Jordan, that comparison is more favorable.

------------------

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Magic & Bird saved the NBA, every current NBA player should pay them a royalty from each of their paychecks.
    Magic vs Kobe: I don't know, Magic is obviously bigger, Kobe more athletic. As much as I marvel over Kobe, I think Magic would find a way to win, but I could be wrong!

14. Toast

Toast Member

I agree with almost everything you said up until this point. I'd build my franchise around the best big man/big men, not a mismatched PG (who can play just about every position). That's why my team starts with Wilt & Dream! [​IMG]

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Pippen locked Magic up in the Finals. That pretty much sums it up for me..... Just kidding. Magic was awesome. I wouldn't start a franchise with him. I would start it with Jordan.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Kobe WAS NOT a better scorer then Magic. And saying Kobe would beat Magic one-on-one is silly. Jerry Stackhouse beat Jordan one-on-one before, who would you rather have Jordan or Stackhouse? And no Magic didn't walk the ball up the court. Why do you think the Lakers were called "Showtime"? That is one of the fastest running teams in history, if not the fastest. And Magic was the point guard leading the break. And he is the #2 assist man in history with 9000+, and was #1 for years. How can you say all he did was walk the ball up the court!? And Magic was the better all-around player in his early 20s then Kobe was. If you don't believe me look up the stats.

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited June 21, 2001).]

17. Kubiac

Kubiac Member

He didnt really lock Magic up but to agree with every one else, as great as MJ is he could not dominate any position period! I have always said that Magic is the greatest all time. No weakness, I mean none. Could take a guard off the dribble or post up a center.

------------------

18. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Larry Bird will always be the better player, in my opinion, than either Magic or Jordan. Larry couldn't run fast or jump high, yet he always found a way to win. With a game on the line, there is no one in the history of the game I would rather have the ball than Larry Bird.

'nuff said

------------------
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.-
    Albert Einstein

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Those of you talking about Kobe beating Magic one-on-one -- who cares? It's a team game. Fennis Dembo and Dwayne "Pearl" Washington were great one-on-one scorers. They sucked.

Magic excelled because he was a 30 pt, 12 rebound, 12 assist guy that adjusted his game as needed. He wasn't looking to score at every opportunity. When he needed to, he would. He was and still is the consumate floor general.

This one-on-one stuff is for the birds.

...and no, not the Larry Birds.

------------------
    "I had mine chewed off by a boss one time." -- Behad leaves us wondering if he gets hazard pay...

20. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Larry Bird always found a way to win three championships. Magic always found a way to win five, and Jordan six. Sounds like Larry is at the bottom of the pile.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

RITQAIOCLHTPFOTFWBPTD