1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many seasons of intentional losing ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Nov 15, 2021.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Can you take ?

I fully was behind last year . At least after they started doing it ... Even tho we only had a 50/50 shot at keeping the pick

I wanted to try and win this year (while developing) but ... I don’t think we are trying .

I think it’s an organizational goal to get another top draft pick . I think we actually WANT to lose games .

well **** . Hard to watch as a fan when you believe that .

I used to watch every rockets game . The whole game ! Last year by the end of the season I was averaging about a quarter .

All I would say is don’t support the rockets again until we are great . The Astros tanked 3 years in a row and it was rough . And had they simply come out the other side a good team and not a potential dynasty they would NOT have won back support .

hold the rockets accountable . If they are tanking two years in a row the results better be worth it .

I’m already fatigued from it . I’m not asking for much .. but can we try to win a game sometime ?

there’s a decent number of people here making the good / fair point that we SHOULD be losing and need another high pick .After all , we are in position to do that right now . My question is the title . How many seasons can you take ?

say we suck this year and get our pick .. next year we are looking to “win” and then green gets hurt .. do we then start tanking again to take advantage of the opportunity?

we might legitimately suck the next 5 years. No need to be gleeful about losing and go for it intentionally.

clos4life and Squirtle like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Intentional losing? This is losing because you're rebuilding from scratch. A roster full of guys who have no idea what winning is at this level and led by kids at that. This is what happens. It's going to take years to be relevant again at minimum. It's the long drawn out process. As long as there isn't a clear cut foundational piece, it won't get better anytime soon.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Tank until the season before we give up our next first to OKC is probably the plan.

Corrosion, eliefor3, CarlosGM and 4 others like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It depends on if they keep blowing their top draft pick when they are given them. If they get a top 4 pick again and bring in another player who ends up the worst player on the team, there could need to be another tanking season to find a franchise player.

Let's face it, they had a chance to get that player in the last draft, they just screwed it up and it set the team back a few years. They could easily do the same thing next draft.

juanming and tycoonchip like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Including last year, I would bet we are 3 losing seasons before we start knocking on the playoffs door.

OKC OWNS OUR PICKS STARTING AFTER NEXT SEASON. WHY WOULD WE KEEO REBUILDING?

This is a timing issue…. We should start flipping the switch this upcoming off-season. Let’s not forget we have a war chest of picks and players to take advantage of disgruntled stars/superstars or just be predatory in trades.

What is certain is we are going to suck like we’ve never sucked before this year.

Corrosion and clos4life like this.
  6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It should be this season and next season. 2023-24 they should be competing for playoffs... That's when coaches and front office should be critically reviewed.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

this team could not win games no matter how hard they tried

bench player X, give player Y more minutes, start Z…it does not matter

this team is ASS…straight up unwiped butt cheeks

doesn’t even matter if it’s intentional or not, the results will be the same

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lets assume Jalen Green is leading this team by then Clutch. Is it really realistic to expect a 21 year old to be leading a Rockets team in the west to compete for a playoff spot. No that plausible imo to make a leap that quickly in the toughest conference. He has quite a ways to go for just a leap that large in 2 years

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@YOLO we are paying wall 40 million plus to sit on his ass . We are playing D house 20 minutes per game . Just cause it will take years for the team to truly be good , doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to win .

@Astrodome if true that’s sad . I would say there no reason to watch . I can consume all I need to watching YouTube highlights. And I would urge other fans to be critical . If the goal is to lose then I can coach the team to that .

I wouldn’t pay 15 bucks to go to a rockets game right now . I’d pay 10 just so I could show up with a paper bag over my head .

even if you’re one of the least talented team in the league you can win games due to the schedule or just being hot . It takes a special level of devotion to lose 20 in a row and it looks like this season will be more of the same .

the team is dead . Look at the bench . Can build on something that’s dead . Next year we will be trying to erase bad habits from this year .

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

You're under the impression that they're not trying to win. They are. They just can't as mentioned in my previous post, which is the point

11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Our future is Green and Sengun and we need a BIG MAN who can be a star. This should be our last year to LOSE, because we had a great DRAFT last year. We got a SUPERSTAR(Green), a STAR(Sengun) and a ELITE DEFENDER(Garuba). I think we need a BIG MAN who can block shots and play with Sengun in the paint. I would trade Gordon and Wood for Wiseman or Kuminga from Golden State. THEN, we will be ready

Tfor3 likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Interesting - you think they have a 2 year runway? I guess that all depends upon how they do in the draft. It would be a problem if one of the players they skipped turns into a super star while one they take flops.......

2 more years.......oh gawd.

DD

13. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The Rockets basically went scorched earth after the Harden trade.

For me it isn't the loses that both me as much as when there is a lack of direction or culture and you don't see light at the end of the tunnel.

The Rockets were very bad last year and ended up with the #2 pick in a draft that was very strong 1-5. The problem is that the Rockets appear to have passed on two players that may end up being better than the player they took (Barnes/Mobley). Both of those players would have likely lead to more competitive outcomes sooner than Green and there is a real chance Green may never be as good as either of those guys are right now.

This season the Rockets will likely end up with another top 5-6 pick, in a draft that again is fairly strong at the top. Again it will be crucial to see if the Rockets draft well and get a long term starter, if not an all star or franchise player.

It is early, but some of the decisions by the front office are fair to question. They wanted to give Oladipo large money for example. In fairness to them, a lot of teams would have taken Green #2 in this draft, and it is early. He could end up being an elite scoring guard with good vision once he improves his handle and shooting form. It just doesn't look great now.

So losing is okay and acceptable when you see hope.... problem is right now we aren't seeing a lot of hope. It would be one thing if Green looked like a star and we still lost.

As for the coaching staff, it is really hard to make a definitive conclusion. While I don't really see a strong culture; the reality is that no coach is going to look good with a starting backcourt of Porter and Green. Right now that is the worst actual starting backcourt I can think of in recent NBA history. They literally do nothing well. They turn the ball over, they don't defend, they don't shoot well and they don't do the small things well either. Now a lot of that is because they are so young..... but how can a coach win or look good with that back court? It cannot happen. That is why Silas wanted Oladipo and Wall as his backcourt and the front office said nope.

14. xaos

xaos Member

This year and next is likely our only opportunity to gain high caliber young talent considering we traded away our picks in the Westbrook deal. 2023-2024 is a big year for us because we owe our pick to OKC, we won't have any unmovable contracts (John Wall will be a UFA or traded by then; Gordon's last year), and we'll have a good understanding of what our needs are.

My biggest fears during these next two years isn't getting high draft picks because we can do that naturally simply by having our young guys play a lot. My biggest fear is we develop losing habits, do a poor job developing our young guys, and/or get desperate in trying to acquire a player on a bad contract to "solve our problems" (ex: Ben Simmons). The good thing is, 2 years is NOT that bad if you are excited about getting as much young talent as you can and enjoy the process of watching them grow (knowing growth isn't a straight line up and to the right!!). If we aren't developing our guys right but have a nice young core, I believe there will be a few solid coaches interested in taking on our roster.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with this, and the truth is that it is even ambitious.

The Rockets need Jalen Green to greatly improve in the next 12 months and they need either a really strong draft this year or someone like Sengun to emerge as an above average starter. At that point they can extend Wood or will have moved him.

At some point soon TF is going to want something to hang his hat on, and I think they wanted that to be Jalen Green.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hate it, but I'll grin and bear it through the 22/23 season. That's how long we control our picks. After that OKC owns our picks or pick swaps for a while. And it would make zero sense to continue tanking. The good news is, we own a lot of other teams draft picks so it doesn't have to be the end of us adding talent through the draft either. So by the 23/24 season we should be doing everything we can to be competitive.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

but why not ?

rookies have come in and been good before. And if you are saying the roster is just so bad they don’t have a chance ...I would acknowledge your point , but I’d still call that intentional losing on the part of the FO

we intentionally aren’t playing our 40 million dollar guy .

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How long will the Ferttita's own the Rockets?

Let's not forget idiot son Patrick Star gives the final say on anything Stone does.

clos4life and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Weird post. You start off praising Sengun but then say we need a big man. He isn't fast enough to play any position other than center.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He needs to have a very long backup then, Sengun is about 6'8.5 and isn't nearly athletic enough to deal with the mega bigs or truly protect the rim. And then we should also have a long defensive 4 next to him (someone like Mobley/JJackson).

clos4life and Tfor3 like this.