1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is the IT market??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MiddleMan, Jun 11, 2008.

1. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I'm asking since my younger brother is job searching for an IT position since he only has 2yrs experience. So if anybody could give me a hand for my brother I will appreciate it.

2. tested911

tested911 Member

Apply with every damn IT staffing agency you can and don't turn down a job because he is going to need experience. If you have applied at every single Houston IT Staffing agency, put your resume out on every single online job website you should get a job within a month if your not picky.

3. MiddleMan

Thanks a lot tested911 I just passed the message to my brother.

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Amen. How old is your brother? Tell him to go (or go back) to school and try to switch careers. My brother had alot of trouble finding a job in IT when he got out of the Air Force and he has alot of knowledge. The problem is companies are willing to bring in kids without any IT knowledge and teach them everything and those same kids are willing to take pennies.

5. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

If you live in the SW area, a good place to apply for an IT position is over at Houston Community College Stafford.

They just opened a new building and are getting that place set up.

The job there is easy because you'll get problems like turning on the monitor to "turn on the computer," installing a printer, fixing a paper jam.

At the same time, it'll look good on his resume because he'd be part of getting a whole college building online.

The two guys that I knew got a supervising position within 2 years one right after the other and got good jobs afterwards. One works IT coordinator for a medical facility in the med center, and the other works IT for a growing oil company.

6. BJJ

BJJ Member

What part of IT? Software, Networking, Hardware..?

7. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

What's pennies in this sense?

8. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Your bro might always want to self teach himself some of the technologies being used out there.

Having self taught knowledge might not be as nice as on the job experience, but it's better than nothing at all.

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Oh laws no! Henny Penny and Chicken Licken said the same thing! IT is a passing fad that will go the way of phrenology!

10. Poloshirtbandit

Expect to make around $30,000/year or less. I'm kinda in that spot right now. :eek:

11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

So, how's the weather in Europe?

12. MiddleMan

My brother is 24 years old with twin girls to feed :( .

What part of IT? Software, Networking, Hardware..?
    Hardware for the most part, but covers software and networking as well.

Tell him to go (or go back) to school and try to switch careers.
    Maybe down the road but on a couple of time he did mention pursuing a bachelor's on the same field. I just feel bad for him since he is struggling but I help him out. Thanks all for responding, (especially this guy)

Master Baiter
    So, how's the weather in Europe?

13. tested911

tested911 Member

Sorry to hear that your brother is in a bind right now but he really has to get a job anywhere in the IT field and work his way up. If he doesn't mind working at the carwash ( Bubbles ) and is good with sales tell him to apply. My buddy is the Manager for sales staff. They make better money than 30K if your a good salesman. It's crazy I know but some of his best guys are making close to 50k right now. Hell if I was ever fired from my IT Job (I work at a Oil Company) I would apply right away at Bubbles and look for a IT Job while at least getting some good income. I have 4 kids of my own and the 5th on way so I know how hard it is to make it.

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

yea, sorry to hear that.

I would warn him against getting a bachelor's in that field unless its more of a Phoenix Univ. thing, just to get the paper. In that field experience means more than anything. My brother told me before that their more interested in specific certificates than anything, anyways. I don't know, it might just be the places he's worked at.

He might want to look into getting an associates (pipeline design is hot right now) or a bachelors in either Engineering/Computer Science and work part time while his wife works full time.
    ...and you could baby sit. ;)

24 is still very young, school should be a priority. Even if they have to live with someone for a few years, its really important for his future.

15. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Dear god. Had me scared. I thought I was underpaid.

16. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Really? He has 2 years of experiences. That's not much, but it's still something. I have 0 year of experiences and I'm making almost twice that much.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I've had some friends recently get very lucrative jobs in Data Warehousing. I think that is the way to go right now for IT. One went to Shell and is making a huge amount of money as a business analyst in their DW IT department, writing business requirements, tech specs, etc. He isn't even doing the actual SQL coding.