1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is the draft order determined if the entire season is locked out?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GlenRice, Jun 24, 2011.

1. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

And what happens to teams that have other teams draft picks?

2. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

In the NFL they said the draft order would remain the same. I don't see why it would void any previous trades. all trades would remain.

3. Dei

Dei Member

Wow. The Cavs would make up for LeBron.

4. what

what Member

There is zero chance that this would happen, so it is moot.

5. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

6. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I would assume it would be something like the NHL draft after the lockout, taking into account playoff appearances as well as past record, considering the number of owners that own both NHL and NBA teams, and the fact that Bettman is a Stern disciple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NHL_Entry_Draft

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Trust me, the NBA would be extremely STUPID if they have a lockout after a season that can potentially bring them back to the glory days of Jordan. They were averaging 20+ mil viewers in a few games to end the playoffs. If both sides, and I'm talking primarily to the owners, are smart, they will meet in the middle.

It's like the NBA gaining a head full of steam, and just blows up.

8. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

I think a sensible thing to do in such a situation is to have roughly equal chance for ping pong balls for the teams that missed the playoffs the prev season. The draft order would remain same for the teams that did make it to the playoff.

9. tosweet68

tosweet68 Member

There will be a lockout........that much is certain. The time it lasts is up in the air, but all indications are that it will be worse than the NFL lockout.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

By your definition, the NBA is stupid. The only question is how long will the lockout last and how much (if any) of the season will be played.

11. thaidizzle

thaidizzle Member

they should do a random order or something where everyone has a fair chance of winning the first pick

12. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

For the lottery each team will receive the same number of balls as the past year.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

How about first come, first served?
    It can be a race. Each team sends out a rep. and its a 30-man rush to grab the #1 ball. After that 29 subsequent races will be held to grab the rest.

Damn... I should be a commissioner.

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol picturing this in my mind is hilarious. A bunch of men in suits beating each other up over a ping pong ball:grin:

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

All this does is give leverage to the players association to hold out longer.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It would hurt everyone if the league were to lose money in the long run. Owners would lose interest in investing NBA teams, teams would be sold, league would go downhill. Contraction is possible. Get rid of weaker teams and contract the league.

It would destroy the game and whatever popularity the league could have amassed is gone.

A compromise is the best solution.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i would imagine that they give the lotto teams the same number of lotto balls and re-do the lottery.

either that or all lotto teams from this year get an even amount of lotto balls and they mix up the order among those teams.

18. AXG

AXG Member

How about the same teams in the Lottery but in reverse order, with Houston going #1 and Cleveland #14? That seems fair.

1 person likes this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I almost posted the exact same question a week ago but thought about it for a moment and realized it's highly likely there is at least some part of a season next year and the draft order will be determined based off that. Seriously, the players can't afford to sit out an entire year - and owners/NBA league office would be interested in brokering a deal so they don't lose market share just when they were on the upswing.

20. MONON

MONON Member

Losing a season wouldn't be all bad. Yao has another year to fully recover & our center problem is gone:grin: & Cavs have another 2 picks in the top 4. I'd hate to have their payroll in 4 years though.

However since the draft is part of the CBA, there is no draft next year if there isn't a new CBA.