1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you deal with loss?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ThrillaNManilla, Feb 1, 2021.

1. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

Hello, friends. My grandma passed away. I dead. Please give me advice.

TWS1986, Invisible Fan, J.R. and 4 others like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Tell us about her, and you and her.

Mine passed away Thanksgiving '19. I still think about her and "talk" to her all the time, I remember the great things.

#2 Buck Turgidson, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    No Worries, Xerobull and DonnyMost like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

sorry for your and your family's loss breh. tell her story to us. the ancient greeks say if you tell people's story, they live forever.

4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

so sorry for your loss man. what did you enjoy the most about her? with her?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Two really effective ways to deal with negative emotions at all:

1) Practice gratitude. Do inventory on the positive things in your life. Count them all. Be meticulous if not pedantic about it. There's nothing guaranteed in life, so take a moment to appreciate what you have (or had). It really girds us against tragedy and is a great repair mechanism.

2) Affect positive change elsewhere. Volunteer. Hold open a door. Let someone take your place in line. Donate. Offer compliments. Be encouraging. Do it for the sake of the person you lost. When you do good, you feel good.

6. Buck Turgidson

Random thing I've picked up: if there was something yall liked to do together, or just something she liked to do for you (and vice versa)...keep doing it. Traditions are a good thing.

No Worries, VooDooPope and DonnyMost like this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I try to find a connection to my grandma when i miss her. I can only usually do that in her store in El Salvador. Touching the counters and sitting in her chair. I don't own anything of hers because she didn't have much but she still has her house.

I'm a hands on person so touch takes me places emotionally. find something of hers that can take you back to a good memory. I keep little trinkets like that in my wallet. Mostly School ID/youth sports cards of my siblings.

DonnyMost likes this.
  8. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I have to deal with this all the time and the best medicine I know is to share stories with someone else who knew her and loved her like you did.

9. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Sorry.

The short answer is, you struggle with it until you die (including when questions like yours pop up on the internet). But it gets easier. Much easier if you avoid thinking about "the end" and just focus on the good times, and the things that made your loved one special.

If you have photos or belongings or anything special, including memories, keep them safe. It might be hard to look at them now, but someday they'll be priceless.

And at the risk of sounding completely crazy: If you ever happen to feel your grandma's presence, just roll with it.

Invisible Fan and TWS1986 like this.
  10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss Thrilla! I think one of the best things to help cope with loss is to talk with others. Most likely, others are experiencing the same sense of loss as you...and talking together, even if it is just remembering the good times, can be quite therapeutic. Don't isolate yourself or your feelings. Loss and sadness is a natural event/emotion. It's ok to grieve and to help others grieve. Hang in there...each day will get a little better.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss. Allow yourself to grieve. Don't let others force you how to feel. It's quite easy to internalize things so try to share and celebrate her memory with others. Share the times you had with each other.

Pouring that energy into an essay, poem, or video document is also a nice gesture for you and your daddy.

12. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I like to look over photos and read any notes or letters that they might have left. You don't ever have to get over it if you don't want to. I also like to think about the things that me and the lost one would know. Play there favorite music and and salud!

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

Sorry for your loss. I know they say a man is not suppose to cry but real men do. Go out and do all the things that you two used to do.

Xerobull likes this.