1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how do I get rid of...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by a la rockets, Jul 5, 2003.

1. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

...annoying pop-ups?

I used to get tons of pop ups on my PC,so I downloaded a pop-up killer.Now I get less of them(killed by the program),but some still pass throw.

Some times when I leave my computer on to go do something else and come back there's like 20 something pop-ups on my screen.Some are on various products,but most are,guess what...that's right!applying for a pop-up killer!
    Also an other irritating thing is when runing a program(read: game) it sometimes shuts down automaticaly cause a pop-up has appeared.

My suestion is this:
    Is there a way to make the pop-up killer still work qith out getting the others to show?
    Another thing is usually I'm downloading something from Kazaa.Could the different pop-ups come from Kazaa?

Please help me!If I get another one of these I might just kill someone! :mad: :mad:

ALA

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I have instruction on how to do this. It has worked for me. Do you run Windows XP or 2000/NT?

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

google.com has a pretty good FREE toolbar that serves as a pop-up blocker. Since installing it I have not had one single pop-up. If you NEED to see the pop-up you can press the ctrl key while clicking. It's in beta mode but hasn't caused me any problems.

You do get an indication that it blocked a pop-up and it keeps a running total.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i have found the perfect pop up blocker period. It is designed especially for sites like kazaa but it works on anything

It's called "Stop the Pop"

go to google and search for it, if you set it up in agressive mode it's lets ZERO pops up through.

however if you use internet explorer you will have to hold the CONTROL key down while clicking on internet explorer or you'll just have to uncheck agressive mode.

But i promise you this is the best pop up blocker i've ever downloaded.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It depends on which type of "pop-ups" you are referring to. If you say you come back to your computer after a few minutes away and there are a bunch, then I'm guessing they are the generic Grey colored boxes with random bs. If those are the ones you are talking about, it's really easy to stop that. On either Win2k or XP, just go into Control Panel---->Admin Tools---->Services. Look for the service in their called "Messenger" service. Stop the service and set it to disable. That will take care of it, as I used to have the exact same problem.

6. a la rockets

Giddyup,
    I have windowsXP.
    JMP0016,
    I have tried looking for it,but I can't find one with the exact name "Stop the Pop".Are u sure I should look for it under this name?
    Harrisman,
    Thx for the info but the problem is that my PC isn't in English and not knowing the links to click on makes it ever so hard to find.

After having thought about it,I think the problem come from the Pop-up stopper itself.While killing foreign pop-ups,it must allow to show the ones that come from the company that created it.It's the free version and by that they are "suggesting" me to buy the real one.
    What do u think?

ALA

#6 a la rockets, Jul 5, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2003
  7. bobrek

I think you should use my suggestion and try the google stopper. Not one pop-up since I started using it (Windows XP Pro) and best of all it's free and doesn't "post" ads for itself.

8. a la rockets

After extended research,I have got up to the Services panel.The only probelm now is to know what is the translation to "Messenger" on my FRENCH version!
    Can u give me a bit more infos on the location and use of this service?
    Thx

ALA

9. a la rockets

Ok,I'll try it!
    How do I find it?Where?

ALA

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'll vouch for stop the pop-up. it's free and it won't let anything slide. holding control every now and then to open a new window is well worth it. you can get it at download.com as well.

12. Kimble14

Kimble14 Contributing Member

This might be how to do what Harrisment was talking about in French:

- Si vous n'avez pas besoin des alertes administratives: Panneau de configuration, Outils d'administration, Services, double click sur 'Affichage des messages', mettre 'Type de démarrage' sur Désactivé.

Source

[edit: the Google Toolbar can be found at http://toolbar.google.com -- in French, too, if you prefer]

13. bobrek

Go here:

http://toolbar.google.com/

Look on the right side of the page and click on the 'Google toolbar 2.0 (beta)' link.

14. a la rockets

Ok, so yesterday I deleted Kazaa and no pop-ups have appeared since,so I guess the problem came from there.
    Now I have 2 ways to go:
    -Either I find another program like Kazaa.Which one should I download?Which have easy access and where I can find a lot of ppl sharing?In Brief,which one is the best besided Kazaa?
    -Or I redownload Kazaa and find somekind of filter to prevent pop-ups from appearing from Kazaa.Does anybody know of this kind of program?

I more kean going for the 2nd option and try to find a killer.I heard of Kazaa lite but can't seem to find it(found Kazaa Diet,is that good?).
    Thx for the help.

ALA

15. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

if you had kazaa on your PC the best way to totally remove all the spyware/adware is to do a google search and find SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY. That program will pretty much wipe all spy/adware off your machine, it will however render kazaa useless as kazaa needs some of that spyware to run.

if you want to download music try http://www.slsk.org they have a very good program without spy/adware and no pop ups.

I also second the google toolbar with pop up protection for internet sufring. I don't know if it will do much for kazaa pop ups as most of those come from embedded programs (like trojans) that run on their own. the only thing to watch out for is when you sign up for the google toolbar is to not select 'with advanced features' select to install without advance features.

http://toolbar.google.com