1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How did GOP became the party of alt facts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Jan 31, 2017.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

At the administration level, I would agree. Obama certainly spun things, but I don't think I would accuse him of creating his own facts. I can't think of anyone before Trump, truthfully.

But was this thread about the administration? Or the talking heads, and the general public?

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It was about how GOP became like the old communist administrations in Soviet Union and China, creating facts to fool/satisfy their obedient followers. Parties have always been using propaganda, but this is at a totally new level.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wrong. The left may currently be lying, and the Trump administration is currently lying. The two are not doing it at anywhere close to the rate. Trump administration is far and way lying at a greater rate.

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agree with all. Trump enjoys making fun of the media, AND it seems to be helping him. That the media so willingly falls into his trap is nothing short of comical...and will eventually lead to them being mostly irrelevant if they don't figure it out. They have long been biased, but it was more subtle. Now its pretty blatant, and the middle is figuring that out. So, the more they bash Trump, the more his followers love him, and the less the middle pays attention to them. Which is what Trump wants, and they are willing foils.

I don't think Trump has any desire for a second term, either. He certainly isn't letting that affect his decision making in any way, which is refreshing. He probably believes that if he can't get everything done in one term, he shouldn't be there for two...or that if he is pretty successful at getting things done, he wouldn't really even need to run for the second term, he'd get elected again anyway. Or, if things don't work out, he's perfectly happy going back to running his business, or more likely continue letting his family do that, while he semi retires.

Part of it, though, is just his approach to things. He gets things done, and doesn't like waiting around on getting things done.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

SMH at the way the right wing will happily accept Trump's behavior. "He'd getting things done."

6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

You know once, he gets rid of those other two branches of govt, he'd get things done even quicker.

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Would you disagree with that statement? If so...what are you all complaining about, as he's not getting anything done? If not, then what is the purpose of this comment, other than creating a strawman, or repeating rhetoric?

SMH at how the left recently (well, not really so recently) lost the ability to read and comprehend.

#47 BigDog63, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  8. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Getting things done and getting things done the right way are 2 different animals. Risk Control & Mitigation is a core element of decision-making at the C-level. Even CEOs don't rush into anything w/o careful deliberation. Just b/c they act quicker than the government doesn't mean they act at the same reckless speed as Trump does.

All those cheering on Trump for acting quickly are showing ignorance for how things are done in corporate America. And in many instances, the no-go decisions are just as critical as the "go" decisions. Smart CEOs get input from not only the other C-suite team members, but also from consultants and SMEs who have done the deep due diligence. Trump's first 2 weeks in office shows why he's probably not as successful of an executive as people think he is.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The Japanese internment camps was getting things done. The Supreme court case for allowing that still hunt us till today and maybe will come back to hunt us again soon.

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Completely agree. Which is why I didn't mention at all whether he was doing the right things, or going about them in the right way. All that was just (falsely) inferred. Hey...alt facts! Just as I was indicating occurred.

Fair...but also those inferring 'cheering on' where none is occurring are creating an alternate set of facts. My ex, who is about as liberal as one can get, although mostly apolitical, even indicated that the one thing you could say about Trump is that he said what he would do, and now he's doing it. She doesn't like what he's doing, any more than those replying here, but that doesn't mean he isn't in fact doing it. As I indicated to NewRoxFan, if he isn't actually getting things done, what is all the commotion about? Isn't it all about the things he is, in fact, doing?

Not sure I'd leap to that conclusion, given the business he was in...construction. I think there are daily, or even hourly, decisions made in construction that are necessary to...here I go again...get things done. It's more of a project management role (lots of project management doctrine comes out of the construction industry), where making quick decisions is important in getting the work done. Moreso than in the usual corporate environment. Now, does that relate to what government, or the President, does? Not necessarily, meaning that even if Trump was successful at it before, it doesn't necessarily work the same way in the position he's in now.

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Beautiful strawman...how exactly does this indicate that Trump is not, in fact, getting things done, just as I stated he was? No where did I indicate whether they were good things or bad things, or whether I support them, or not.

My ex, who hates Trump, brought up last night that one thing you have to say about him, is that he's getting things done, and they are exactly what he said he was going to do. Why all the disagreement here?

12. NewRoxFan

Interesting... earlier today you posted this:
    And yet, the above.

But OK, do I disagree that he is getting things done? Lets examine Trump's record so far. He has signed a number of executive orders. More that Obama even, despite criticizing Obama for executive orders. But is signing executive orders an accomplishment in itself?

He promised to repeal ACA. And replace it with his own beautiful plan that would lower costs, increase coverage, and everyone would be covered. Oh wait, he didn't do that yet. Is that an accomplishment?

He promised a wall. A beautiful wall. And one that the Mexicans would pay for. Oh wait, that didn't happen yet either. Is that an accomplishment?

He did announce a Muslim ban. One that was not against Muslims, and was not a ban. Or maybe it was a ban. But never mind, the courts said he can't do that. So he insulted the judge, and said to blame the judge would anyone die (fortunately, the Bowling Green Massacre happened before, or it would be that judges fault). Is that an accomplishment?

He has had phone calls with the heads of states of Australia and Mexico. I don't think he considers those accomplishments though.

He lied outright about the number of people at his inauguration. About the majority of people supporting his Muslim, er, Immigration Ban. About supporting him in general. And even about how many illegal immigrants voted illegally (or may just registering) for Hillary. Since she really didn't have more popular votes than him. Is that an accomplishment?

He defended Putin, saying Americans are just as despicable and kill people too. Is that an accomplishment?

He lied on his facebook, saying Kuwait also had a visa ban of five Muslim-majority countries. Kuwait, of course, set the record straight. Is that an accomplishment?

He somehow unintentionally put a white nationalist on the National Security Council who has made past statements blaming LEGAL immigrants for America's employment problems. While having a woman who invented a mythical massacre in Bowling Green be a lead spokesperson and a press secretary that discusses "alternate facts" (as described by the aforementioned spokesperson). Are these accomplishments?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

You are a kid with poor grammar who doesn't read the books he has to do a book report on.

14. dmoneybangbang

What exactly is he getting done? Poorly implemented travel bans?

Still no bigger and cheaper healthcare alternative...

Still got a massive entitlement spending spree about to occur...

Still a lot of uncertainties about a border wall and who is paying for it...

I can go on...

Flailing around and making quick movements isn't getting stuff done.

15. NewRoxFan

Hey, I got a new accomplishment by Trump... he did something that Reagan, Bill Clinton, even Obama failed to do... get himself blocked from speaking in front of British Parliament on his visit to the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...isit-speaker-address-parliament-a7565651.html

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

17. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Then why all the fuss, if he isn't doing anything?

But, are all those worthy topics of discussion? Sure! Could that discussion happen without it immediately going down a hole, with lots of strawman, insults, etc. Doubtful, but I'm game if anyone else is.

As to your list...did anyone think any of that would get done in two weeks?

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It does not indicate Trump is not getting things done.

It is relevant in that Trump, the way he is using EOs, and the way he uses alternate facts, and how his core supporters will believe them, and how other GOP supporters who might not like him, but would be ok with him because they like what he's getting done, give reasons to believe that we could be approaching another one or many of those historic horrible action (Japanese internment camps) that will hunt us for a long time.

If you understand the Supreme Court decision in that case, and the now very famous dissent to it, and that it has not officially been completely reversed, you will understand the danger of what Trump is. The Court might not be the line in the sand.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/323/214#writing-USSC_CR_0323_0214_ZD2

19. Buck Turgidson

"Doing stuff is overrated. Like Hitler. He did a lot. But don't we all wish he woulda just stayed home and gotten stoned?" -- The Tao of Steve

20. Buck Turgidson

Because the things he is trying to do, wanting to do, talking about doing and the people he has appointed to implement them are incredibly disagreeable to people? Just a guess.