1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Big of an Advantage is "No State Income Tax" for the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Dec 7, 2012.

1. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Be aware, that state income tax is very important. Something that you don't know is that teams that comes into texas for the game, those player for that game does not pay state income tax. ie; When the rockets play in NY - the rockets players pay state income taxes because their wages were earned in NY. Same goes when the Rockets go to Toronto, they pay the Foreign state income tax.

Signing with a team in a state that does not have income taxes is only beneficial for the 44 games or so they play at home.

2. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

- Your math is shaky and your conclusion is unsupported. Millions of dollars in tax exempt income over the life of a contract is somehow pocket change to a professional athlete with a narrow window in his life to maximize his earning potential? Really??

- You also seem to have neglected to account for the fact that a team that plays in the Southwest division plays more games on their schedule against division rivals like San Antonio and Dallas, i.e. other Texas teams, than a team based in another division. So a Rockets player actually experiences savings on greater than 50% of their yearly salary.

- But even more egregiously, it's unclear why you used the "37%" figure when figuring state income tax savings, if you were trying to make some sort of comparison between a player playing for a team based in a state with no income tax (i.e. Texas) versus one that has one. And that's exactly what you did, since you cited the Clippers in your first paragraph and then compared them to the Rockets.

You are not properly representing the additional portion of a player's salary that would be subject to state income tax withholding if the player played for a team in any state but Texas (or Florida).

41 home games and (if I'm not mistaken) 4 more road games against division rivals in Texas means roughly 56 percent of all regular season games a Rockets player plays are exempt from income tax. Note that it's actually even slightly more than this as Florida has no state income tax either, and so road games against the Heat and Magic are not taxable. But you didn't figure this in, so I won't either, to keep the math simpler.

Here is what the math SHOULD have looked like based off your own salary figures:

First Year - 56% of $19,112,917 = $10,703,233.52, taxable at CA's highest earner bracket of 10.3% = $1,102,433 saved in state income taxes by playing for the Rockets and not the Clippers in just the first year.

Second Year - 56% of $20,446,376 = 11,449,970.56 taxable at the CA rate of 10.3% = 1,179,346.97 saved in state income taxes for the second year

Third Year - 56% of $21,779,835 = $12,196,707.60 in salary, taxable at the 10.3% rate = $1,256,260.88 saved in the third year

Fourth Year - 56% of $23,113,294 = $12,943,444.64 salary taxable at the 10.3% rate = $1,333,174.79 in tax savings for the fourth year

Fifth Year - 56% of $24,446,753 = $13,690,181.68 salary taxable at 10.3 percent would be $1,410,088.71 in tax savings for the fifth year.

Total saved in state income tax over the life of the contract: $6,281,304.35

And you claimed it was "a few hundred thousand dollars" in savings? If somebody tried to pay their taxes the way you are figuring the rates, I don't see how they don't lose their house and go to prison.

To put it another way, this is over 6.2 million extra dollars a Rockets player would never get if Texas had a state income tax rate of 10.3% instead of 0%.

And what was your conclusion aside from getting the math wrong? That that's not a lot of money? Yeah....it is. ;)

Terrible math, wrong conclusion altogether, but I like the effort.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

also, I don't know about other states, but Colorado has much lower property tax than Texas. So it balances out.

Colorado -- State Income Tax, Low property tax
    Texas -- No Income Tax, Higher property tax

If a Nuggets player purchases a huge house in Denver, I could argue that his overall taxes (state plus property) are lower than Dallas or Houston.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

But how does no state taxes stack up against the endorsement income from living in high tax metro areas in NY MA and CA?

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wow, you didn't read his post at all. He was comparing the difference between what he would make after takes if he re-signed with the Clippers, which allows for higher raises each year then if he signed with the Rockets. That is why the difference was so small.

6. juicystream

Do you people not read? The away games played in taxable states is the so called jock tax. He accounted for it.

7. Victorious

Victorious Member

With Harden, players could be drooling to get here. Add our young and talented roster with the state income tax thing and it looks real nice

8. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

The benefit of not having to pay a 10.3% "jock tax" on 56% of games played in the player's home state of Texas was not represented properly at all. In fact it was (one would hope accidentally and not deliberately) understated and written off altogether.

9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

The issue is more all the home games in California that are taxed at 10.3% each vs. all the home games that would be played in Texas that are taxed at 0% each. There is a huge difference between the two.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You should have read the whole thing... perticularly about the 'Jock Tax' and you would have seen that in fact I did account for teams in non-Jock Tax cities. Including Houston there are 8 cities. Dallas, SA and Memphis represent 6 road games and Toronto, Miami, Orlando and Washington which represent 4 road games for a total of 10 road games out of a possible 41 road games. That leaves you with a total of 31 road games that count as duty days towards a state income tax in some city. 31 games represents approximately 37 percent of the players income. Players on the Houston Rockets pay a state income to some state against 37 percent of their salary.

I hate to break it to you but your math is wrong about actual savings to the player. Once the 7.5% raise vs the 4.5% raise is factored in along with what is actually taxed it's not that much. You show the total savings after factoring the jock tax difference as over 6 million when the difference before factoring in the Jock Tax is only 3.5 million. Your numbers are upside down. Certainly there are things I'm not factoring like dedutions and tax sheltors as well as the fact that all states do not have the same tax rate but I mentioned that as well.

My suggestion for you is to actually read it before responding.

11. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Lol this is what I'm talking about. Why the hell are you deliberately not accounting for over half the player's income, that he earns at HOME playing in Texas, in a non income tax state? That's how you figure SAVINGS, my friend. You say "Okay, what will this player have to pay on this giant chunk of games that are played in his home state, taxed at a 10.3% rate each?" "Oh, 6 million dollars." Now what if the rate in his home state, for that same chunk of games, was zero instead? And he were to save that money--you know, because those same home games are all played in a state with no income tax instead?

lol your understanding of this issue is weird and wrong on a very fundamental level

I made this very clear that you didn't understand the benefit of playing over half the games in Texas, only to see you talk about road games again. My god.

12. crash5179

I don't think you understand what a Jock Tax is. No one pay's Jock tax on 56% of games. Jock Tax is a term given to a tax charged against athletes playing in visiting cities that have a state income tax. Houston has 31 games in states with a state income tax. That 31 games represents the Jock Tax which is about 37 percent of their income that is subject to a state income tax. Road games represent only 50% of total games so your number of 56% is not possible. When you factor in the 8 cities that are not in states that have a Jock Tax and the number drops of considerably from 50% which is why the number for the Rockets is only 37%.

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Home games played in California mean the player is taxed over $6.2 million on that income, since that GIANT CHUNK of their salary is now taxable.

If those same home games are played in Texas, the player pockets the money. Since that same GIANT CHUNK of their salary is not subject to state income tax. They're ahead $6.2 million over the life of their contract.

This is pretty simple to get, no matter how much you try to obfuscate this and (I guess deliberately, then) try to talk about something like "Toronto road games," like that even has anything to do with it.

Home games son. This is about home games.

14. crash5179

Jock Tax is only paid for Road Games. That's why I'm not accounting for the home games. Their is no such thing as Jock Tax for home games. Sheeesh.

15. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

"Jock tax" is the slang used to describe the way in which road games are taxed.

I'm talking about the massive chunk of home games you've deliberately ignored, since that is 100% what people usually ARE talking about when they discuss the difference between playing for a team based in a state with no income tax vs. one that does.

You're not framing the issue honestly at all.

16. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

There is such a thing as STATE INCOME TAX BEING ASSESSED IN CALIFORNIA ON HOME GAMES. Sheesh.

And it is a giant wad of cash ($6.2 million) that more or less completely invalidates all of your conclusions.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Nice read...interesting perspective...since it is a very flaunted thing by both the Rockets and the Mavericks...interesting thoughts....

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

and the spurs...lol

19. crash5179

Here is the the actual state income tax (not the Jock Tax) as it is applied to Chris Paul's salary in the next max contract if he signs with LAC. The second set of numbers is the difference between Chris Paul's income after state incom taxes while playing for LAC and his income minus any state income taxes or Jock Taxes while playing in Houston. It was there all along if you would have just read it.

You will note that his actual anual salary plus the number of years are different for the Clippers than they are for the Rockets. This is because the Clippers can offer 5 years at 7.5% raises while the Rockets can only offer 4 years at 4.5% raises.

I hope this helps

That last statement is before Jock Tax is added.

20. juicystream

BeeBeard might be the most ignorant poster in the history of Clutchfans.

Or he is just trolling. Not sure.