1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how athletic is mason ?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by gr8-1, Apr 18, 2000.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Ive seen him play a few times, but i dont remember him being super athletic. Im not saying he isnt, but what you guys are saying is somewhat surprising. a higher vert then francis ? is he as explosive.

Athleticall speaking, is he in the class of a Carter or spreewell ?

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Maybe, maybe not in the same class as those two, but he is definetely in the ballpark of those two. It is dificult to tell in college with the zone, number of charges called, and the lack of a quality standard to judge him by.

Kwame Cavil ran a 4.9 in the 40 for ther NFL draft. I knew he was slow for a wide rerceiver, but I didn't think he would be slow for a linebacker. Withpout seeing Mason being guarded consistently by athleic players, it will be tough to tell. He's more athletic than Najera, by far.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

3. gr8-1

no offense to najera, but alot of players are more athletic then him.

CAvil, rumor has it failed another drug test. 40 times are the most unreliable thing in the world. Cavil has run a 4.5 before, allegedly.

corey moore, the DE from Va tech allegedly ran a 4.38 at tech, but at the combine, he ran a 4.6. bottom line, is you never know.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

4. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Mason is EXTRMELY athletic. he has a vertical jump of 40+ inches. he is a superb athlete.

------------------
    --TEX

5. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Who is the Mason kid. All the time, I hear about his vertical, but give more details. I have never heard of him except from this site. What school did he come out of? Height? Year? Injuries? Inquiring mind(s) want to know.

------------------

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Oklahoma state
    good slasher.
    Strong
    Near 18 ppg

------------------

7. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

A short profile of him:

Desmond Mason is an athletic swingman who has shown improved outside shooting this season. The strength of Mason's game is his explosive penetrating ability, and his ability to finish strong at the rim. He is very good at finishing alley-oops and plays in the open court. When in the open court, Mason can be a very exciting athlete at times with his 40+ inch vertical. Mason also plays tough, solid defense and is a decent rebounder. He may be a tad undersized to play the SF position and thus may see some time at the SG position. His improved outside shooting will allow him to play a little SG, but the bulk of his time will probably still come at the SF position. He should find a niche as a complementary athlete for a team that likes to get up and down

------------------
    Check out the best source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

8. gr8-1

so with all these tools, rf34, is mason a lock to be a lotto pick ? his numbers (physical) makes him seem too good to be true. He isnt another kenny walker is he ? wasnt walker a tweener though ?

------------------

9. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Right now I would say he's a mid first. He's not a lock in lottery becuase...*shock* this year is pretty deep. Surprising eh when everyone said it was crappy draft? Well apparently quite a few underclassmen will make this a good draft.

He may have the body, but it doesn't neccessarily translate into success. Great example, Cato has all the attributes to be a great center, but look at him right now.

------------------
    Check out the best source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If he was two inches taller, he would be a top 4 pick. I think his biggest problem is that he wasn't consistent last season.

He doesn't rack in the steals may hurt him, but he does play tough defense. He's a good scorer at 17.9 ppg in a physical Big 12. He just hasn't put up super numbers.

------------------

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Desmond Mason is listed at 6-6.

If the Rocks want to play a 6-6, great defensive player at the 3, they already have Shandon. Drafting Mason would be redundant.

The Rocks do need a taller 3 who can play D (to slow down the likes of KG). Carlos is not the answer. Darius Miles may be.

------------------

12. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I really want to see Mason, Peterson, Carrawell & Arceneuax measure out (and here about their wingspan). If you consider adjusting Arc. stats downward for substandard competition--they all have extremely even stats. My hunch is Mason & Arc. are the most athletic, Peterson is the most polished. I would pick one of these guys up if they were by far the best player available at that spot (trade later if we have to), but I do agree they wouldn't make much of an immediate impact because of our strong guards and swingmen.

I am afriad though because of the deep draft swingmen may very well be the best players available. Other ones include Rush, Redd, Alexander, Karcher, Johnson (who will be gone early) and Richardson. Whichever of these guys might be able to be a legit 3 would be much more desiriable in my book.

------------------

13. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

He may be more athletic than Eduardo, but Eduardo is the better player. BTW, for those saying Ed's not athletic at all I'm going to laugh when he gets drafted by the Lakers(high possibility) and puts up some monster dunks not to mention that he'll burn Kenny's ass on a consistent basis unless of course my dream comes true and the Rocks pick him with possibly a later pick.

[This message has been edited by SooneRockStro (edited April 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by SooneRockStro (edited April 19, 2000).]

14. gr8-1

soonerockstro, this is coming from a horn, i dont think najera is unathletic, but dont kille me for this, he reminds me of a hard nosed laettner, which is no crime. I think he would be a great pick, but is he a 3 or 4 ? maybe he is a tweener. Athletically, he isnt the next vince carter, but he isnt too bad.

sir scarvajal, i dont think redd is a swingman, he is a pure 2, imho. i think karcher is a pure 4 also ?

------------------

15. outlaw

outlaw Member

16. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Najera sucks donkey balls! The guy will never amount to anything in the NBA! I read that he measured out at 6'6'', which is too short for him to play post in the pros. The guy doesn't have the speed to guard small forwards, so where does he play? My guess is the CBA.

------------------

17. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Gr8-1, I guess I see Redd's game and size as fairly similar to the above players. Karcher is heavier, but is listed as 6'5"-did you mean pure 2 for his as well. Too me all of them look like they will primarily have to play the 2 guard--which is why I think this is the deepest spot in the draft. But if any of them are truly bigger and/or longer than say Shandon than that increases my interest in them. I would be least surprised if Mo Pete or Arcen. actually measured out at 6'7", but I'll believe it when the draft scouts or pro clubs report it.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited April 19, 2000).]

18. gr8-1

karcher is 6'5" ? i didnt watch UMASS very much, but something tells me he was 6'7" and played in the frontcourt. im wrong though.

What about monty mack ? did he play the 3 spot at UMASS ? i thought karchner was up front for some reason.

------------------

19. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I think Karcher was a Temple player not UMass. There is another Temple player, Lamont Barnes who is a draft prospect. He is listed at 6' 10" on some reports, and may be who you are thinking of. I haven't seen Barnes play much, I'd be interested in thoughts about him.

------------------

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member