1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston v OKC preview: Film breakdown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Aug 17, 2020.

1. foggy94

foggy94 Member

dmoneybangbang, kevcai, s3ts and 17 others like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

burlesk and BigMaloe like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Instead of straight up doubling, OKC opted to send strong help on Harden. This is simply a case of Houston needing their shooters to punish the defense. This didn't happen in the regular season series, where Houston shot 25 of 105 on open or wide open shots per NBA tracking, a dismal 23.8%.

this simply can not happen...just shoot average or slightly above average and OKC will be hard pressed to keep up...I’m really not asking for much

burlesk, HP3 and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

The 3 games vs. OKC this season, Rockets did not have either Covington or Green.

This is going to be a very different series.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

agreed

they beat us handily in OKC, but we won the 1st game, and in the 3rd game, we were in complete control before choking away a double digit lead late...Harden shot 1-17 from 3 in that 3rd game while the team shot 9-45 from deep, yet we were still up by 16 heading into the 4th and had to get outscored 41-20 just to lose by 5...Chris Paul also had 28 in that game

CF talking like OKC is some top tier team...Rockets don’t shoot like a bunch of D2 college players and compete defensively, and they can win this series with minimal issues even with Russ missing games

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly!!

And Rockets were up double digits in that 3rd game WITHOUT Russ and no RoCo, no Green.

We got this!

diehardrockets likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

My favorite part was the Schroder strategy:

This brings us to Dennis Schröder. Schröder torched the Rockets, averaging 20.3 points while shooting 60% from the field and 47.4% from deep.

The Rockets had a smart strategy defending Schröder in the pick n roll, going under whether using traditional coverage or switching. In these three clips, it looks as if the guard was told to fight over the screen. It’s not perfect, but it almost turns into a drop coverage as Tucker sits so far back. On all occasions Schröder is deterred from driving.

Houston needs to give him the Giannis treatment every time he’s down the court. Schröder exploded for 15 points in the 4th quarter of their last matchup, helping turn a 16-point deficit into a 5-point win.

He should be seeing a wall of red around the free throw line. And if he does beat his man off a high pick n roll and gets downhill, Houston needs to collapse hard. This is made a lot easier with OKC's lack of shooting threats.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. BreakYoSelfFool

I'm surprised Ego is not mentioned more in the article. To me, Gordon will be the biggest wildcard for the series not counting Westbrooks injury. We really need his shot to fall or him to be able to get to the rim. The biggest reason is that we need to minimize Mclemore's minutes. Mclemore has been our best shooter, but Chris Paul will target him on offense no matter who he is guarding. I don't know if the 3 pt shooting can offset all the easy buckets and free throws they will be able to get off him.

D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo may need to play the Russ role and attack the rim to pull any early doubles or traps off Harden.

His 3 ball looked much better vs. 76ers, shot 50% from 3.

jcmoon likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Thanks @foggy94 ,

I feel like I'm wrapped up in a warm blanket of knowledge after reading/watching your work. We're gonna be okay in this series!

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed.

Enjoyed Nathan's analysis even more than SI's Mike Shapiro's. And I'm a big Shapiro fan.

13. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Harden shot 6-40 from deep in the 3 regular season games. It's not even just role players who threw up bricks.

s3ts and D-rock like this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Great read!

Surprised Jeff Green didnt get a single mention! I especially believe he will be the catalyst for this team. He provides the pick and roll/pop and above the rim presence that the ROX sorely lack and could be a quasi paint protector with his leaping ability.

MDAs matchup and roster utilization will also need to be quick to respond and proactive! NO DOUBLE DIGIT RUNS!!!!

GO ROX!!!

D-rock likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

true, but I trust Harden will produce in these playoffs...I don’t trust the role players at all...role players are getting much better quality looks than Harden, but they still brick

it is up to them to make OKC pay for the attention they’ll be giving Harden...they don’t even need to be great, just average will probably be good enough

D-rock likes this.
  16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thanks for all the work you put into these!

D-rock and foggy94 like this.
  17. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Oh it's Jeff Green content you want? I got you covered https://www.teaandrockets.com/post/bubble-science-game-3-in-which-we-stan-jeff-green

18. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Awesome work. Very interesting to put the focus on Schroeder.

D-rock and foggy94 like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

s3ts, D-rock and foggy94 like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Schroder will be the X-Factor, he can get to rim lightning quick and so effortlessly.

He is their version of Russ.