1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston to bid for Super Bowl LI (UPDATE: Houston lands 2017 Super Bowl!)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, May 23, 2012.

1. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

People are going to come here to get drunk, go to strip clubs, party, and eat good food. Houston has all that easily. Sorry we don't have Disney world.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

bottom line. houston cant do it like new orleans. it was a freaking party there in februrary. great city to walk around in as well. i walked from bourbon street to the stadium with thousands of others when i went back in february. you cant do that here. it's a concrete jungle around reliant. you'll get hit by a car.

1 person likes this.
  5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

And there is no other city like that. Can't compare other cities to New Orleans, its unique. People have to drive to the stadium in Miami too, for example.

6. MystikArkitect

Dubai was nothing to see before either.

I also find the George R Brown more offensive than the Astrodome. That thing needs a massive facelift.

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I guess. Never been to a superbowl anywhere but New Orleans...

8. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

#188 Luckyazn, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  9. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

a factory?? i thought the consensus around houston was it looks like the love boat..

1 person likes this.
  10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

this ny times article restates alot of my points about the history and impact. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/sports/houstons-astrodome-may-be-dirty-and-dated-but-it-is-irreplaceable.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&

imagine getting to stand under something like this with park/gardens under and around it. also at night lit up with different colors for different occasions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. msn

msn Member

I agree with the sentiment and I principle I like the idea.

But, that right there is ugly. I'm just sayin'.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Miami, San Diego, Tampa, and pretty much every other "rotational" Super Bowl city is set up like Houston. I've been to a fair number of NFL stadiums throughout the country, and I'd say the vast majority of them are not walking distance from anything. You have to drive into most of them.

13. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

And the relaity is that you don't want to be in New Orleans at all except for the tourist areas. Just like Rio de Janiero...

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Yea it looks like the twin sister to the IAB terminal at the airport.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i just went to nola this past memorial day weekend. i counted at least 10 vagrants sleeping on the sidewalks on or near bourbon st. another dozen or so sketchy looking folks just wandering around the tourists/patrons. the french quarter (especially bourbon st.) had this stench that was gag inducing. no joke on one side street from bourbon back to jackson square (actually behind the church) there was a stench of piss so strong you would have thought you were in a urinal. this was for an entire block. there was trash and trash bags all over the sidewalks, it was like a cone drill trying to walk.

we also walked down the park along the Mississippi river toward the aquarium/downtown and again it's like tent-city/bum central. did not fell safe or comfortable at all.

:eek: as a tourist i didn't want to be in the tourist areas of nola!!!

16. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

And people in Houston get down on the city for not being touristy. Many of these (over)hyped places are not worth the time.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

NRG stadium needs upgrades in time for Super Bowl in 2017, county may have to pay

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nope... its why the county was still paying for the dome long after it lost all its tenants.

Of course, less and less cities publicly fund stadiums now-a-days... Houston one of the last cities to have three mostly publicly funded stadiums.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Is it even worth the hassle?