1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Sports media, writers & bloggers owe Jalen Green a apology

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 23, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would not do that, I can understand the thinking behind it but the Play In is a small sample size and he is already showing that he still has ways to go......

The scoring will always be there, may it be in flashes or even consistently in 2 Quarters.

It is not my money but I already forecast this situation of not able to keep all of them.

He has become a good to very good player most of the time when he can run and gun, not the player he was under Silas.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed completely, though some of his recent play suggests he still has some chance of being more than that.

Though the hot play also suggests that maybe he doesn't always put forth the most effort and that was a large part of his struggles.... which is concerning.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Where was that "different level" last night?

Look, I know he had some good games but declaring him "on a different level" due to a brief hot streak is fanboi BS.

We both hope he's turned a corner and he can salvage his career.... but we have to see more before declaring him "fixed" because he's had hot streaks before that ultimately were nothing more than flukes.

Just keep it in your pants a little bit longer is all I ask.

4. a time to chill

I really want to see the Rockets in a play-in setting to get more data on the young core; especially Green.

clos4life and Bobbythegreat like this.
  5. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They weren't even focusing on winning...... They had a **** coach who didn't know how to develop players. He needed more structure not less coming out of an unorganized G League team to the NBA. They paired him in the backcourt with a certified knucklehead. Udoka is the first real coach the kid has had who is "focusing" on Green's development and that holds him accountable. The Rockets SHOULD have "focused" on developing the number 2 pick in the draft but they didn't.

slothy420 and Mathloom like this.
  6. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More idiocy from Bobby, I see. Like anyone cares what you ask.....

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

Nah, this wasn't the usual hot streak. Before it was empty stats that didn't impact winning at all. His defense was also atrocious.

This hot streak came with winning and excellent defense. Rockets are actually above .500 and most of that is because of Jalen Green.

Is he fixed? You're right, too soon to tell but to say he's had this type of hot streak before is a damn lie

Honestly, Kidd did a great job double teaming him from the beginning. Something he has to adapt to but this is a good problem and the next step. Honestly, this is where Sengun will thrive instead of Jock in the middle looking lost at times from Greens passes.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Right? Some people are so afraid to hold an authority responsible for its duties.

Green is responsible for his side of the bargain: develop yourself in an environment where no one succeeded at doing that, the culture is terrible, the owner/GM anoint KPJ as leader, the team is refusing to sign high character vets or coaches. Not Sengun, not Tari, not Jabari, no one improved materially. You want to make believe that any HS'er in history other than Kobe Bryant would succeed in this scenario, be my guest. I never believed that all 4-6 of our prospects happen to be lazy at development. It was clearly systemic.

Look at how easy it's been with Amen/Cam. Their development would have sucked too if it was under previous regime.

The team IS responsible for delivering good coaching, accountability, culture, teammates and mentorship. If they are not doing that, they're screwing us out of realizing players potential. They owe that to the fans and players. They are failing in a way that forces the player to do the organization's job. They did not deliver any of those things in Greens first two seasons. I challenge you on a $100 tip jar bet to find a top 18/19 yr old pick who landed in a worse situation than our team. I'll help you out: no one but Hinkie's Sixers can even be in the conversation. We were the most brutal tanking team ever with GM dictating even practices, dumping good performers, refusing to sign low cost high character vets, promoting a PG who they know will not be able to run the offense.

There must be a price to pay for getting those picks and I said 3 years ago the price will be player development. In order to have a chance at Wemby, we said it's worth delaying everyone's development. Will here we are. No Wemby and little development from the two years. If you wanted to tank that brutally, you're a hypocrite for blaming it more than 50% on Jalen. That he's even catching up now is a huge testament to Green and Udoka and FVV and Brooks's contribution.

Thank God we're almost fully caught up now. Jabari will be the next to break out, book it.

#228 Mathloom, Apr 2, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    Pistol Pete likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, when Jalen Green had legitimately good games in the past, the Rockets usually won... there just weren't many of them.... but I do agree that this time around he often player very solid defense which is something he's never even attempted to do before.

I still want to see him maintain solid play over a larger sample before going crazy.

My concern is that he'll have 10 or 12 good games, land the extension he wants, then go back to the guy he's always been.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"before going crazy"

LMAO

Some of you MFs will never be allowed back on the bus!

Pistol Pete and Ancient Moabite like this.
  11. Ancient Moabite

Over his last 30 he is avg almost 25ppg with your vintage ts% on the up tick

And that 30 game is more than double the requirement, well at least that is the bar that was set for KPJ best 15 game stretch last yr

Do you even read the BS you type on here?

A player straight out of HS with two years under his belt is looking to salvage his career? Are you confusing A Wiggins for Green?

Green is making progress and fought through his struggles and is doing what the noble Udoka is asking, which is why Udoka keeps playing the Fluke and letting him chuck away (on elite efficiency overall)

I always said you give Green his 4 yrs, and he is going to be who he is for most part

He just decided to start early, good for him and Rockets

fchowd0311 and Verbal Christ like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also the best 15 game KPJ stretch probably had a .300 record or something.

Jalen Green is putting up these numbers while being a plus defender and providing immense scoring gravity with on/off impact equivalent of a MVP level player.

What rocket fans should be most proud of is that Green is being a plus defender while having high usage on offense. After years of Harden, Rocket fans assumed every high usage offense player has a right to be ass on defense.

B-Bob and Ancient Moabite like this.
  13. Ancient Moabite

The buck / tap dancing shuckin n jivin is pure comedy

But but but...
    We are concerned fans

Pistol Pete and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. Ancient Moabite

And that is why they are scared and keep hoping he reverts back to him missing his 3's etc

How could you call someone a bust/scrub etc and in the same season the media hype machine is calling you best player in NBA for any month?

The media can convince most that he is the best player vs him being a scrub/ bust first two seasons (according to his dislikers)

But its the same thing they were saying first two seasons after ASB......they were like this is unreal how he good at bball, but they were tanking so it wasn't no media hype other than tanking for Wemby etc

Now with him playing like this and winning streak/playoff its now him playing on MVP level/best player in league with a possible POM

That is too much for the anti club to handle

Just look at their replies, its comical to say the least

Like VC said, they can never get back on the bus

Pistol Pete and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but even in that sample, there's still a LOT of really bad games....but the highs are high enough to bring up the average to a 56.6% TS% for that sample which is just under the league average for SG's this season. That said, in your sample there are so many performances like 12 points on 15 shots, 4 points on 7 shots, 11 points on 13 shots, 10 points on 14 shots, and so on, that I think it's dishonest to count the entire sample.

In reality, the hot streak lasted about 15 games, which is great, but 15 games is not enough to suggest that he's become a completely different caliber of player....and that improvement is likely to be permanent....especially when he went back to his old self just a few nights ago.

Also, no, I'm not confusing Green with Wiggins....Wiggins was objectively a better player than Green in his first 3 seasons....even with the recent hot streak by Jalen. That's why I say, yes, he was looking to salvage his career. The trajectory he was on as of 2 months ago was one that would be out of the league entirely in a few years. Hopefully he turns that around and the hot streak becomes something sustainable.

He's earned another season, we'll see what he does with it.

My guy, no one wants to be on that short bus.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jaters:
    [​IMG]

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"He's earned another season"

[​IMG]

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  18. Ancient Moabite

I just don't get how you can marvel and brag about a 15 game stretch by KPJ, but then low key diss Green 15 game stretch that was way better and say it was only 6 or 7 good games

Thats when you know they have went full Woodwose and exiling their own whom they claim they to root for

19. Ancient Moabite

So you posted 4 performances and that makes it alot?

How about the games he has 60-70ts% in during that streak?

Or the 30 point half on road with 70ts% 2nd half?

You do know I could post his crazy numbers that you never post

Why do you only post his bad % games but never his super saiyan ones?

You can't make it to the short bus.......the caucus mountains cosigns

How is it dishonest to count entire sample when that is what you do when evaluating

From beginning to now

And right now he is playing at MVP level if you let the media hype machine tell it which last I checked they have way more influential brainwashing tactics than you

So if this is a fluke version....blame yourself for unleashing the Fluke

Good job Bobby Digital

You are good for something, great motivational speaker career on deck

#239 Ancient Moabite, Apr 2, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I could have kept going, because there was more, I just figured I had already made my point that the true hot streak was more like 15 games.

The point was that his highs were high enough to include a lot of bad games and still come out near average and artificially extend the sample beyond what was actually the hot streak... but it's dishonest to do so. However, I'm not accusing you of dishonesty, I legitimately believe you don't function on a high enough level for dishonesty.