1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Oilers: Now is the Time to Rebrand

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by El_Conquistador, Mar 8, 2021.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Would think the Titans have a strong case against the Cougars. If UH even mentioned the Oilers once they will lose. I don't know that they did, but I suspect they did. The colors are likely free to be used as they wish, but once they noted it as a throwback to the Oilers, even in an email, they crossed the line.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I just flew home from Nashville yesterday, and folks there were wearing Oilers throwback jerseys. Kinda made me sick.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

OK, now you are just being deliberately obtuse. You know good and well there's no comparing the cultural issues created by the use of the name "Redskins" with folks here using something that happened 45 years ago as justification for stripping a NFL team of its intellectual property under the guise of "best financial interest of the owners". And, I might add, no one has yet to produce any evidence that such a move would produce the "financial benefits" you mention so just why would the league even entertain the idea of forcing the Titans to transfer ownership of something that is rightfully theirs simply to satisfy a few fans of a team that no longer exists? This is the very definition of a pipe dream.

Hey Now! likes this.
  6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

"He looked at us as someone you could put on the cover of the media guide, and also somebody he could take to his country club and introduce to his friends, that type of thing. When you are talking about who your quarterback is going to be, you're talking about a lot of different aspects of leadership and visibility that the quarterback is going to be for your team. Because he is going to be one of the most popular people in town as well as possibly the most unpopular people, depending on how you play." - Warren Moon

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

All the NFL has to do is make CITIES the owner of the NFL Heritage and not the Teams. They set the Rules for the NFL and what is and is not assigned to the teams that are a part of the NFL. If a team wants to go it alone, form their own league.

kdchilds likes this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I’ll never understand why anyone still wants to be associated with such a loser organization who abandoned our city.

Zen Tabak and HillBoy like this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

You had to be here. It wasn't Bud's. It was OUR TEAM.

Zen Tabak, kdchilds and macho GRANDE like this.
  10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I was here. Through the trash of the 80’s…through the forced renovation of the glorious Astrodome that turned it into just a dome that the city might still be paying for…into one of the most embarrassing losses in sports history…to them packing up and leaving. F*** the Adams family and everything they’re associated with.

I loved the Oilers as much as anyone…but OUR team left us high and dry, complete with still having to pay their bills. They haven’t been our team for 3 decades.

Uprising and HillBoy like this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They were NEVER the Oilers after they left Houston. They were imposters. Bud be damned.

Uprising likes this.
  12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Was late to embrace the Texans. Don’t like what the NFL is doing with UH right now. I loved the Oilers too but who cares at this point? The romanticization of them is tired. The city wanted them gone and that’s just a fact.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The city wanted Bud Adams gone…

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We wanted BUD gone.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Intellectual property is usually limited by a time or use element. Much like real property rights, it can be lost through abandonment or adverse possession if not by time like in copyright or patents.

I suspect this latest Oiler iteration being used has an element of preservation of rights about to be lost.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The last straw with me was his getting a preseason game cancelled in an attempt to coerce the City to fund a new stadium after paying for improvements through a bond not even close yo being paid off.

Yes, I was glad to see Bud go.

17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Though it didn't stick with him in the pros, he was at one time called the Tyler Rose. I had the privilege to see a regular season game in the little Rose Bowl as well as the State HS Championship Game. My parents were alumni of Tyler John Tyler.

19. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

What a time to be alive!

20. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Even Tudor Electric Football is screwing us. They offer sticker sets that you apply to the plastic men with printed logos and uniform stripes. They have a ton of throwback teams including the Oilers...which can be ordered off of Possum Holler's page.

https://tudorgames.com/nfl/afc-south/tennessee-titans.html?p=2